Model Cars Magazine Forum

New member from Germany

JS23U

Hi all,

my name is Jens, I live in Germany.

I build and collect everything that is named annual, and some more. My interests are muscle cars, American cars in general and a good share of trucks. I like to build them stock, or at least "day two", i.e. wheels changed for ones of the same vintage, for example. Years are mainly late fifties to late seventies.

Cheers

Jens

Hi guys,

thanks for your welcome!

I'll try to post some pics as soon as I learned how. Haven't read that section so far.

For now you can find some of my builds on the Fotki-album of "littlewheeliesteam", there search for Jens.

I'll provide a link as soon as I am home.

Jens

WELCOME JENS!!! B)

Glad you found us, you'll enjoy your time here!

Small world! Jens & I 'met' almost ten years ago thru an eBay transaction (I sent him a built-up Autocar A64B, one of my favorite truck models I built as a kid :( ) and we corresponded back and forth a bit afterward, showing each other our 1:1 Detroit iron :lol:

Looking forward to seeing some of your builds! (and hopefully you've restored that Autocar :D )

Here are some pics of the models I built in the last years (my photographing skills are not the best...):

69YenkoNova-vi.jpg

69 Nova made from the 72 AMT model. A huge lot of work went into it. To repair the body in all window frame areas, to get the fenders aligned, to correct the rear wheel wells and the c-pillars and so on. I lengthend a Revellogram 69 Camaro chassis and also took the engine from it. Cady decals and a self made vinyl top completed the model. After all, it is one of my favourite models!

70CamaroSS396-vi.jpg

70 1/2 Camaro SS 396. This is the late 80s version of the Z/28 AMT kit. The retooled AMT annual from 70 to 77, not the new tool kit. That wasn't available when I buit this kit. Much work was involved to get the front fender tops right, to flatten the area where snout and hood meet in the middle of the car and to get the correct square look of the headlamp pods. Chassis and engine is 69 Camaro again.

70ChallengerRT-vi.jpg

70 Challenger R/T Six Pack

Inspired by a picture in an ancient Car Craft I built this one from an AMT Yankee Challenger. Filled in the hood, glued on the roof. A bit of detail on the chassis and engine bay. The wheels are JoHan Superbird, tires are too fat two piece NASCARs from JoHan. Cady decals for the stripes. I had to cut these into several pieces to get them to follow the body lines. Go Mango finish from a rattle can with clear coat, then rubbed out. I built this one in 93, would do al lot different today, though.

71ChallengerRT-vi.jpg

71 Challenger R/T Hemi

Ok, I am a Mopar guy, own two Mopar muscles. This particular model is my favorite build and the hottest 71 Challenger I can imagine. Citron Yella Hemi four speed without vinyl roof and Shaker hood but with colored bumpers, a 71 only option.

I took a nearly wrecked MPC annual body, grafted in the side markers and door handles from an AMT Challenger, had ti buy a resin hood as the original was completely crazed from paint and a knife. Resin side scoops, aftermarket decals. The chassis and engine bay is AMT like on my 70, engine is a parts box Hemi.

Edited by JS23U

70Corvette-vi.jpg

I built this AMT Vette as a 454 with open Targa top. I thought I needed to build something else than what was pictured on the box so the big block from a 70 Impala was used. I think the roof of the AMT Corvette is too high at the rear. I was sure I wouldn't be able to correct this without huge efforts, so I cut out the roof parts, filed the rear part down as far as possible and added a crossmember from scratch.
The exhaust tips looked too bulky so I folded some out of aluminum sheet. The steering was made functional. Tires are old AMT annual racing tires from the early 70s.

P1130649-vi.jpg

72 Chevelle SS 454 convertible. Cut an AMT Street Machine kit open. It worked better than I expected. Chassis is 69 Olds 442, engine is some mixed together 454. I constructed engine bay detail including inner fenders and such. Wheels are AMT Z/28 Camaro. The model was inspired by a car I found on the back cover of a Chevelle book. This car must be a rarity as 454 four speed convertible, especially in such a late year.

Jens3-vi.jpg

The AMT Bronco is a fantastic kit. The proportions are great which leaves much time to detail the kit, although it is already nice out of the box. The steering was made functional as well as the spare tire rack. What a fun build, I love this kit!

69YenkoChevelle-vi.jpg

This Yenko is an AMT body/interior paired with an Olds 442 chassis and Fred Cady decals. Engine bay has additional detailing, the front grill is reworked as its engraving was too shallow. Wheels are from the Olds 442. Paint is automotive lacquer with clear coat, rubbed out.

Thanks to all for the kind words.

I am glad to find so many names here that I know from magazines, other forums, ebay etc. I already found a wealth of knowledge and skills here in the few articles I read, yippie!

Unfortunately I haven't finished much in the last 6-10 years because of raising two kids, building a house and..... well even my two Mopars keep me busy. So what time is left is enough for collecting models, but not building them. I hope to end this period soon (i.e. the "not building period", not the "collecting" period) ;)

Edited by JS23U