Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wonderbread weathering 101

There are many different ways of weathering and thanks to Dr. Cranky for his videos and pics on weathering... This is how I do mine...

I've had quite a few people asking how I go about weathering my cars...

This is by far the easiest way I do it...

Supplies needed are

Red oxide or ruddy brown primer

Satin or flat color spray paint

Table salt and/or sea salt

Cheap bottle acrylic paint ( burnt umber, burnt sienna, marigold)

Cosmetic sponge

Old toothbrush

As always clean the body before any paint with soap and water.

I let it air dry and then I primer with the ruddy brown primer... Once that's dry, I mist the body with some water in a spray bottle and then sift my salt over it... A combo of sea salt and table salt....

image_zpsbac7e837.jpg

Let this air dry and then I spray the satin paint for the body color over this...

I do mist coats until I get complete coverage.

image_zpsb4d32d71.jpg

I let this dry for a few hours since its a flat paint, and once its dry, I put the body under cold running water and using the toothbrush, lightly scrub the salt off and you will have something like this...

image_zps1b15aafc.jpg

image_zpsd7d11761.jpg

image_zpsad063a7f.jpg

Now once that air dries, I take some of my acrylic paint and a cosmetic spong and lightly dab the sponge on the acrylic paint and using a paper plate, I dab the sponge on the plate until the sponge is almost dry. Then I dab the sponge on the body ( think dry brushing)... Less is more ... I use the acrylic colors as described above...

When done it should look like this....

image_zps01df2a5f.jpg

Hope this helps a bit.... Ask any questions you have and I'll answer as best as I can for you...

FWIW, this works with hardware store variety enamel rattle cans too.

It might not be as good as airbrushed acrylics, but it does work with enamel rattle cans. We used Rustoleum. It is probably best to allow the paint to cure completely before removing the salt. I found that the enamel encapsulated the table salt we used, and was much harder to remove those tiny bits of salt, but I liked the rough and crusty look that it left on the model. The large sea salt easily crumbled right off the body once the body was dry.

Sorry for the thread drift. I scoured the internet high and low, and couldn't find anyone using enamel rattle cans for this method of weathering. Seems that everyone in the Western Free World is using acrylics and airbrushes for this process.

Am I the last hack on the planet still using rattle cans?

Edited by clovis

Am I the last hack on the planet still using rattle cans?

Nope. Not even close. Enamels do pose certain issues, like the rough and crusty look after the salt is knocked off, as you mentioned. I have found the best way to fix the rough paint breaks is a good scrubbing with 70% isopropyl alcohol and somebody elses toothbrush.

ChevDone005.jpg

I'm not 100% happy with this, but it was my first time using the salt technique. I feel it doesn't really reflect how a real car would weather out. However, 99% happy is still pretty good. B)

James, your Fleetline looks awesome. I'm looking forward to trying this again. I think I will try airbrushing some acrylics next time.

Edited by Jantrix

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When do you use the Wonderbread ? :(

I was thinking the same and looking for the bread, sorry James...

Many thanks for sharing this with us though, I have still yet to break into the dark arts of weathering, so am still watching videos and reading as much as I can,...

Thank you...

Andy...

I was thinking the same and looking for the bread, sorry James...

Many thanks for sharing this with us though, I have still yet to break into the dark arts of weathering, so am still watching videos and reading as much as I can,...

Thank you...

Andy...

I just used this write up to do my first.....Must say its easy and fun! I have some pics in the truck section of the one Im doing....I was reading and debating and finally took a stab at it....Like I said pretty easy to do....practice on an old body or something before going full force

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...