Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Greg wash that old Model A up and see what you have. Take some good pictures if you want to find some different newer decals. But in the long run you paid for it and it is only plastic. The year it was made makes no difference when it is painted.

I agree Andy, it's only plastic.

Then there's this guy... I bought this and another built model, a '63 or so Corvette for $3 in an old Gangbusters model kit box. I gave the Corvette to my buddy and had plans to tear this one apart and redo it the way I did an old '32 Ford ( see http://www.modelcars...266#entry947120 )

So here's the dilemma: a couple guys took a look at it and said it was an original 1960's issue of this model and it's historic and a shame to take apart / tear up change a complete kit that's an example of kit building from that era. I know what I think, but just thought I'd ask you all.

I think folks know where I stand. If it is in good overall condition and the build is nice, and representative of builders of the 1960s, it deserves to be preserved. That's the folk art of our youth. There is some magic in the way it's managed to survive 50 years intact!

And it's not a rare kit, it's easy enough to find an unbuilt one of those to build. I don't recommend saving every old build... if it's poorly done (as in worse than the typical build of that era), broken or otherwise not salvageable, it could become parts or a rebuilder. For instance when folks have old annuals that were built without any paint etc, those aren't historically significant and should be rebuilt to current standards.

Here's my collection of historic old builds. http://public.fotki.com/modelcitizen/model_cars/old_customs/

If you think your Model A is cool enough that it should be eternally preserved here, I'd be happy to send you an unbuilt version of that same kit (AMT '32 Ford Roadster?)

Edited by Tom Geiger

I always love to go to the Mid-Atlantic NNL. First, I love to go to a model show where I have no responsibility! I can just be one of the folks and enjoy the day talking to people (that's where you realize just how many friends you have!), looking at models and buying neat stuff. I also find that this show has vendors I don't see at most shows, like club members selling off duplicates and such. I always find neat stuff at reasonable prices here! So just what did I get?IMG_0600-vi.jpg

Since I had a blast turning a Chevette promo into a curbside kit, I thought I'd do it a few more times. Here's an S10 pickup and Blazer. One was $5 and the other $10. Can't beat that. I know the Blazer will become the safety vehicle on my company as they have one of this era still in service. Trucks last a long time when they never leave the property!

IMG_0603-vi.jpg

Found this one for $20. I know I have a few of these in different versions. Not sure if I have this one with the skirts molded in, but heck I'll take that chance at that price.

IMG_0607-vi.jpg

This became the "Year of Resin" for me at this show. I found 4 different pieces. I got the RMR Jeep Scrambler for $25. I've always liked these, and was surprised at the high prices when I tried to find a 1:1. So now I can build one instead. The '74 Chevy 4 door sedan looks like Modelhaus and is really nice for $40. I was meaning to order the MCW '65 Biscayne, and here it was, so I grabbed it and the Modelhaus Falcon from the same dealer for $50 total. A good haul!

IMG_0605-vi.jpg

On the way home I stopped in a small hobby shop in Delaware. I found this Buick Reatta for $16. I had been looking for one of these for a long time!

IMG_0597-vi.jpg

And the ride home... I just thought this would be a cool photo. I had a good day indeed. Thank you Mama's Boys!

I couldn't afford to buy a real , untouched MPC 1972 Charger annual , so I got the closest thing that I could : a glue bomb (not terribly so) , paint bomb (looks like one can of paint was used just on the interior bucket !) , builder .

The price was right for this one year only model (and those one year only louvered doors !) , so I bit .

One of its previous owners sanded-off the door handles and side markers ; the front and rear bumpers are from the 1971 annual ( "1971" on the license plates ; moulded in orange) ; the hood is off of a yellow-moulded version (1971 , again ?) and is sans cowl louvers .

What's *odd* about this kit is that the body appears to be based-upon one of the NASCAR ( Buddy Baker , et al.) kits :

- No front parking lamps

- Stock Car-style fuel filler (plugged and filled by a previous owner)

So , I'm seriously considering a bash of this kit with the new(er) AMT 1971 R/T Charger , with the biggest swap being the doors ; the hood is easily dealt with ; and , I can fashion my own 1972 & later side markers .

Also ; included in the sale was the AMT 440 Magnum / TorqueFlite , topped-off with the 1965-1967 , 383 / 413 / 426W style air cleaner from the '72 Charger .

My plan is to build a reasonablly-accurate 440 Six Pack replica . The "1:1" 440 Six Pack for 1972 was a virtual anomaly ; this is as close as I'll ever get to owning a 1-of-2 Charger !

Another two old MPC vans arrived today, bought off ebay from a seller in the US. Factory sealed when they arrived, not anymore. ;)

Slowly getting all the van kits, love the early MPC ones.

musseum_zps5c2e4576.jpg

Great score Rob. When you opened them was they in great shape??

Both in great condition when I opened them Carl, slight scratches on the glass as expected but everything else nice. I always open them to make sure the tyres haven't eaten into the glass over the years. Some of the stuff they made early tyres out of seams to dissolve and fuse into the windscreens.

I couldn't afford to buy a real , untouched MPC 1972 Charger annual , so I got the closest thing that I could : a glue bomb (not terribly so) , paint bomb (looks like one can of paint was used just on the interior bucket !) , builder .

The price was right for this one year only model (and those one year only louvered doors !) , so I bit .

One of its previous owners sanded-off the door handles and side markers ; the front and rear bumpers are from the 1971 annual ( "1971" on the license plates ; moulded in orange) ; the hood is off of a yellow-moulded version (1971 , again ?) and is sans cowl louvers .

What's *odd* about this kit is that the body appears to be based-upon one of the NASCAR ( Buddy Baker , et al.) kits :

- No front parking lamps

- Stock Car-style fuel filler (plugged and filled by a previous owner)

So , I'm seriously considering a bash of this kit with the new(er) AMT 1971 R/T Charger , with the biggest swap being the doors ; the hood is easily dealt with ; and , I can fashion my own 1972 & later side markers .

Also ; included in the sale was the AMT 440 Magnum / TorqueFlite , topped-off with the 1965-1967 , 383 / 413 / 426W style air cleaner from the '72 Charger .

My plan is to build a reasonablly-accurate 440 Six Pack replica . The "1:1" 440 Six Pack for 1972 was a virtual anomaly ; this is as close as I'll ever get to owning a 1-of-2 Charger !

I have a similar plan for one of those. At one of our meetings, I was able to pick up this one.

2008_1220xmasmomameeting080048.jpg

The previous owner had fitted the underhood area of the latest '71 Charger in the body. It has since been stripped, and cleaned up for a re-build.

2009_0117janmomameeting090030.jpg.

I plan to do a either bookend to this one

2009_0117janmomameeting090031.jpg

Or in Triple Black with a "Topper" Vinyl Roof.

SC0511-106824_1.jpg?lastmod=052011225700

Bought some paint at my LHS and found another old kit, thought to myself 'why not' and bought it, there was a Dodge Omni there as well, might just go back and get that one too :lol:

Has some good options, factory Turbo Z or twin carb V8 ;)

DSC02567_zps79202798.jpg

there was a Dodge Omni there as well,

Nice score on the early Daytona. The later version with the hide away headlights was recently reissued, but the older grill etc is gone forever! Don't pay a lot of the Omni, those are very common here at shows for little money. Then again you are in Australia so when you figure in postage..

Nice score on the early Daytona. The later version with the hide away headlights was recently reissued, but the older grill etc is gone forever! Don't pay a lot of the Omni, those are very common here at shows for little money. Then again you are in Australia so when you figure in postage..

Thanks Tom & Carl,

Tom, the Omni kit is the 'Sidewinder' issue, not sure about that one now after I inspected this kit last night.....

Kit was sealed, so you would expect it to be okay......not

Never seen this before :lol: !

DSC02575_zpsacc82dc5.jpg

DSC02576_zps6c4df131.jpg

Fairly common but you got a bad version! Fortunately those windows are all flat and easily replaced with clear plastic sheet stock!

Agree Tom, I like the 'BF Goodrich' imprint though :D

I must admit, the kit was not packed very well, the body was under the main parts bag, fortunately okay and not warped....

Thanks Tom & Carl,

Tom, the Omni kit is the 'Sidewinder' issue, not sure about that one now after I inspected this kit last night.....

Kit was sealed, so you would expect it to be okay......not

Never seen this before :lol: !

DSC02575_zpsacc82dc5.jpg

DSC02576_zps6c4df131.jpg

Hate that happened to you Ray.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...