Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chopped '50 Olds fastback: Jus' a lil' closer...Oct.1

Ace-Garageguy

Not a lot to see yet. I've been poring over just exactly how to do this ever since the day the Olds kit hit the shelves. I've watched how some of you guys have approached it, and I'm starting to cut.

First trick will be opening the doors and decklid on both bodies. I think it will allow me to avoid some of the delicate seam work and re-scribing of door cut-lines, and allow a chop more in keeping with 1:1. I'm going after a roofline that flows better than the original, which appears a little hump-backed to me, so this may take awhile.

DSCN8118.jpg

First panel fits back in the hole pretty well. 5 to go.

DSCN8119.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

First off, FORGET what I said about opening the doors and decks first. Noooooooo. It became apparent pretty quick that I'd have a floppy, unmanageable mess by doing that.

HOWEVER, cutting down the rear door cut-lines looked like the right way to go, as it still eliminated having to re-scribe them. During careful measuring, it began to look like that would be a good place to go across the roof panel too. I've never actually worked on one of these in 1:1, but I knew the rear outer fenders on these cars bolt on, so I started looking for photos of where the seams are, and how they're hidden. That suggested the most appropriate place to cut the rear bodies and minimize detail-loss and bodywork.

The photos show pretty clearly where I made the cuts, and the remarkable thing is that cutting as shown, the sections practically jump back together. The drip rails, side moldings and roof-line still flow with no wonkiness (if you position everything carefully) and the Chevy roof is only a small bit wider at this point than the Olds. There is sufficient thickness of material in the plastic Chevy roof section to smooth the transition.

The cuts and fill-work necessary on the rear fenders are far enough from the scribed trunk lines to avoid getting into them, and the fill on the sides of the quarters is confined to the body-line crease. I'm very happy with how this worked out, and the Olds roof section fits back into the Chevy nicely too.

DSCN8148.jpg

DSCN8147.jpg

DSCN8145.jpg

DSCN8143.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

That's some very nice surgery Bill! I'm thinking about doing this conversion myself at some point. Would it be possible to just swap the entire roof from the Chevy onto the Olds? I'm thinking about making the cuts like you have on the rear section. But,extending the cut at the body crease on up to the front fenders and swapping the cowl out also.

................................Would it be possible to just swap the entire roof from the Chevy onto the Olds? I'm thinking about making the cuts like you have on the rear section. But,extending the cut at the body crease on up to the front fenders and swapping the cowl out also.

It would be possible and I considered that at one point, but being basically lazy and wanting to avoid as much un-necessary work as possible, I opted for this solution. I'm not all that fond of the windshield shape of the Chevy, which is part of the reason I decided against swapping the assembly as you suggest. It doesn't look quite like the one-piece-windshield opening on the Olds kit (as opposed to the divided glass in the Chevy), which does have the right shape for the car. Doing the swap as you suggest would require more fill work on the doors as well, but the big thing I have against it is how well the hoods fit on both the Chevy and the Olds kits. Swapping the cowl sections along with the roofs would open two cans of worms getting the rear of the hoods of both cars to fit properly again.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Looks great, Bill. I'd been eye-balling mine and had come to the same cuts in my head, although I'd also considered carrying the thought through to detaching the whole rear quarter in the process, thinking it would be easier to finish up the bodywork on the upper quarter. I was probably just overthinking it, though.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing how you finish them out. Should be killer.

First off, FORGET what I said about opening the doors and decks first. Noooooooo. It became apparent pretty quick that I'd have a floppy, unmanageable mess by doing that.

I figured that out when I tried to open the panels on a 53 Bel-Air.Let's just say that that body is beyond scrap.