Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lifted 97 Ford Explorer

Finished this up for a community build on another forum. I built it as a daily driver/weekend warrior. AMT kit, painted Dupli-Color Medium Blue Metallic. The BFG's are from Fireball Modelworks and the wheels came from (I believe) an AMT '90-somethin' F150. Other than that, and the suspension lift, the rest of the build was kept stock. After taking the pics, I see I've got a few touch-ups to do yet that I had overlooked.

Explorer026_zpsf9bbb9c8.jpg

Explorer027_zps49f5753a.jpg

Explorer012_zpsda204d61.jpg

Explorer016_zps2f62a168.jpg

Explorer022_zps51426ab3.jpg

A better shot of the interior while it was still a wip. I didn't bother smoothing the seams on the seatbacks as they cannot be seen through the tinted windows.

explorer001_zps956a8e12.jpg

Explorer032_zpsfb8d1e7d.jpg

Explorer006_zpsd92788b8.jpg

Edited by bogger44

Thanks for all the good words guys. I really like this color blue as well, even though the pics make the blue to be a little brighter than it actually is.

Looks great. The Explorer has such a bad rap as only a grocery getter (I have a 94 that I wheel the heck out of. Its up on 35's). Yours is a great look at them....

I read your sig, nice group of rigs you have there! Yeah the Explorers have always been overlooked. I had a '95 Sport that I put through quite a bit of bushwhacking, liked it till the 4.0 went south.

Love it!

Lifted one of these kits myself, but I went with a straight axle swap up front. I have one kicking around somewhere I plan to build as a truggy.

Thanks Chuck. I remember that Explorer you SAS'd, very cool and inspiring. I want to get another of these kits and do the same, as well as dropping in a 5.0 or 4.6.

• 2 weeks later...