Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any football fans?

PowerPlant

OK, OK... I meant "soccer" :P

The 20th FIFA World Cup, taking place in Brazil, is kicking off tomorrow... With a Brazil-Croatia match, no less, and I'm as excited as I could be by now!

I realize this "strange sport" is not as popular in the USA, but it has been a while since a World Cup took place your side of the pond (USA 94, I believe), so I was just wondering if anyone here shares my enthusiasm? :)

Edited by PowerPlant

• 2 weeks later...

Yes! While I haven't been following, I've always been a soccer fan. We just had dinner at Applebees and the USA / Portugal game was on. I couldn't help but watch and when there was a goal, there'd be a big cheer from the kitchen. The manager explained that the Spanish speaking kitchen staff was watching and very enthusiastic!

I grew up in Europe, coming back to the USA in 1972. I had played soccer most of my life and had very little connection to US football. I was surprised that there was no soccer at all! In high school they just played in gym class. I was up against all those big guys who aced every American sport, and I was this little 80 pound guy who could outplay them. They weren't used to this at all and took to tripping or otherwise assaulting me! So the coach took me out and told me to ref. And that was the end of my soccer playing!

That's a funny story, Tom, but it seems things have changed since ;)

It was a great game yesterday, and for once USA isn't a team everyone wants to play against, although I suspect having Jurgen Klinsmann as coach might have something to do with it :P

Regardless, it's a shame about that last second equalizer, but they gave Cristiano "best-player-in-the-world" Ronaldo and his "entourage" something to think about...

From what they've shown thus far, I'm sure USA will go through to the round of 16, along with Germany, and then it's anyone's tournament :D

Well, despite a minimal loss to Germany, and with only 4 points of possible 9 gained, USA is through to the round of 16, whilst the current world champs Spain, as well as previous cup winners England and Italy, are not... Deservedly so, I might add!

Belgium might be a tough nut to crack in that match, but from what they've shown thus far, I believe USA can win...

The problem, however, is the most likely opponent in the quarter final... Lionel Messi :P