Model Cars Magazine Forum

'53 Ford Truck - Custom (Complete 10-Apr-15)

I wanted to be able to use all of the front NASCAR suspension, so I chopped the front rollbar clip from the front part of the chassis and transplanted it. This will make the NASCAR front shocks useable and able to mount up like they do on the NASCAR model. This is the last piece of cutting and fitting. Now its time to primer everything up and get to painting and building.

The shocks aren't actually mounted in these pics since I can't do that until final installation.

Tim

FrontChassis1-vi.jpg

FrontChassis2-vi.jpg

FrontChassis3-vi.jpg

I finally decided on a color, which is going to be a pearl white roof and the rest of the truck will be metallic teal. I got the motor pieces painted and assembled and painted the chassis and suspension. Tomorrow I will start the motor wiring, distributor wiring, water line plumbing and some of the other details. This one will have an electric fan since I couldn't get the NASCAR radiator and fan shroud to match up. The engine and bell housing are painted to match the body.

Tim

EnginePaint4-vi.jpg

EnginePaint3-vi.jpg

EnginePaint2-vi.jpg

EnginePaint1-vi.jpg

ChassisPaint1-vi.jpg

Slowly but surely, making some progress here and there. The motor and suspension are complete. Now I can concentrate on getting the exterior and interior prepped for paint. If everything goes as planned, I hope to shoot some color on the body and interior Friday night.

That huge breather hides the fuel line and fuel filter, but it was always a signature piece to me in all NASCAR's.

Engine2-vi.jpg

Engine1-vi.jpg

Suspension is complete as well. It's nice to have a build that has actual spring and suspension movement.

Suspension1-vi.jpg

A few drivetrain, chassis and suspension pics.

EngSusp1-vi.jpg

EngSusp2-vi.jpg

Double checking the deck height and firewall clearance. The only thing I have to do is level out the motor a little bit, but that should be easy. Once some color is on it, hopefully it will bring a little more of the detail out, instead of being washed out.

EngSusp3-vi.jpg

Your builds continue to draw me in Tim and this one is no exception. The way you just blow right through all the modifications and body/paint work almost flawlessly continue to surprise me. You definitely have your act together in model building. nunchakku_zpsxhlixjd0.gifI can't kick any build out in less than 4 months and in depth ones like this would take me in the upwards of 8-9 months to get through. Lookin' good pal!

Wayne - Thanks! This one is unique and I haven't any do this, so I thought it'd be fun. Chevy chassis and engine in a Ford! :o It's all the same to me. lol

Joe -Thanks buddy! This one is taking a lot longer, due to not as much free time and mocking up so much of the build prior to paint and assembly. Plus, this is my first truck, but I've learned to slow down a little bit and take my time to make sure everything adds up at the end. I'm eager to shoot some color, but not at the expense of taking any shortcuts.

Tim

Nice work Tim. The diagonal bar mounted to the rear axle is called a Panhard bar. It keeps the axle from moving side-to-side. The lose end should mount to a bracket on the chassis. If you don't want to fabricate a bracket it might look better if you just removed this bar as it wouldn't really be necessary on a street vehicle. Cool build.

Nice work Tim. The diagonal bar mounted to the rear axle is called a Panhard bar. It keeps the axle from moving side-to-side. The lose end should mount to a bracket on the chassis. If you don't want to fabricate a bracket it might look better if you just removed this bar as it wouldn't really be necessary on a street vehicle. Cool build.

JC - I have to make a bracket to connect it, just haven't done it yet. Easy fix... I'll mount it when I mount the shocks, which aren't shown in the picks yet either.

This thing it setup to turn, and go straight! lol

Thanks!

Tim

Tim,

I like where you are going with this one. I made some similar mods to my '50 I started back in the '90's. I spliced in the front supension and engine from a Monogram Mustang GT.

MamaMeetingJanuary182014217_zps3d042784.

I really dig those '50's effies. I know your's going to be a knockout!!!

Edited by Ron Hamilton

Tim,

I like where you are going with this one. I made some similar mods to my '50 I started back in the '90's. I spliced in the front supension and engine from a Monogram Mustang GT.

MamaMeetingJanuary182014217_zps3d042784.

I really dig those '50's effies. I know your's going to be a knockout!!!

Thanks, Ron! Is that a 1950? That's a sweet truck!!! I think my next build I will do the same thing. What year GT did you use? I wonder if I could use a late model GT front end suspension. I might try and throw in independent rear suspension, just to do something different. Thanks!

Tim

Very impressive work Tim. I really like this build. Any problems getting the nascar engine in there??

Thanks, Carl! I had to move the transmission mount/bracket back about .5", but no major issues. There is a lot of room in that engine bay, especially sine the hood gives you extra head room.

This build is just going slower than others, but just because there is so much fitting to make sure everything sits right. The body is primed and ready for paint, so hopefully tonight I will get to shoot some paint... one my favorite parts of the build. I sanded the hood flat, so no middle line down the center. I also molded the tailgate in as well to give it a nice smooth look. The tanneau cover will be semi-gloss black and the rest of the truck metallic teal. I was going to shoot the roof pearl white, but I didn't like the pearl.

Tim

Edited by taaron76

Thanks, Ron! Is that a 1950? That's a sweet truck!!! I think my next build I will do the same thing. What year GT did you use? I wonder if I could use a late model GT front end suspension. I might try and throw in independent rear suspension, just to do something different. Thanks!

Tim

It is a 1950. I used a Monogram 1993 Mustang GT for the front clip, so that the engine would fit.

MamaMeetingJanuary182014211_zps0033271c.

I had to rework the inner fenders but it worked out pretty good.

MamaMeetingJanuary182014218_zpsefbbd6b0.

I narrowed the kit rear end,

MamaMeetingJanuary182014212_zps813dc76b.

and tubbed the pickup box, using 2 halves of a film canister (remember those?) for the tubs.

Your '53 is a knockout!!!!! I like everything you are doing to it. Even the Chevy Engine!!!!!

Edited by Ron Hamilton

Thanks Ron! I will look at what two kits to blend together... maybe give it a nice little Hemi 426. lol

All the Ford, Chevy and Hemi guys are giving me dirty looks right now. :angry:

:)

When does your model car club meet next? Bowie is not too far away from me.

Tim

Good idea for the coil springs, but how do you keep them from falling out.

I use the springs from an ink pen but there really difficult to keep them in place when putting the rearend together.

When I terminate the spring on each end, I curl a half-loop to the middle and then put the end of the wire up at 90 degrees. I drill tiny pin holes in the area where they will be mounted to and dab a little bit of glue in there. I will usually put some weight on it and let them dry overnight. If the suspension is sitting to high or too low, and I can increase or decrease the ride height by either stretching them out a little, or compressing them.

Tim

Shot some base coat tonight... I over-thinned it (that's a first) and ran out of paint (that's not a first). Oh well, I'll pick some more up tomorrow and throw a couple of more coats on it. That will give me the chance to get rid of a couple of specs of dust. Don't mind the orange peel... it won't be there after the clear and wetsand and polish.

Tim

BaseCoat-vi.jpg

Edited by taaron76

I picked up some more paint today after running a little short yesterday. I love this color, but thought it would look better lightened up a little bit. I added some silver to lighten it up and give it a little more metallic. Now I really like the color. 2 more base coats followed 6-7 coats of clear on this one. Base color is Model Master Teal Metallic (mixed with silver) and the clear coat is Tamiya, as usual. This thing is VERY WET and will need a good week to dry out. Just in time to relax on Easter weekend, I wish...

Tim

HoodBCCC-vi.jpg

Shaved tailgate...

BedShavedTG-vi.jpg

CabBCCC1-vi.jpg

CabBCCC2-vi.jpg

ClearCoat1-vi.jpg