Model Cars Magazine Forum

This is the old Revell 1/28 Camel, which is still a pretty good kit, for all it's 50+ years of age. This is pretty much from the box, with the exception of correcting the lower wing dihedral (it should be 10mm above horizontal at the drilled location for the wires joining the elevators) and decreasing the gap between the wings (about 6mm off the cabane struts). I added a bit of cockpit detail, including a windscreen and decking, but you can tell from the photos that the interior improvements are pretty hard to spot. The scheme is for F4017 at 204 TDS, Eastchurch, in late 1918 (seen in the Windsock Camel book on p25) - I found it in a build by Nigel Julian over on Aeroscale. He did his in 1/72, and I don't fancy the masking at that size. This is for the CBK "101 Gems" stand at Telford - 101 classic kits that are still worth building today.

On with the pictures...

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

It probably seems like a lot of pics, but if anyone else wants to build one, you need to see it from all angles, and I also like the way the different elements of the "camouflage" slot together across different parts of the aircraft...

Build thread is here:

Revell Camel Build

bestest,

M.

Thanks, guys! As for the scale... it dates from the late 1950s - the "box scale" era - and since the Camel was the first, it may not be a coincidence that the wingspan scales out to exactly 12". There was no precedent to follow, and the idea of "standard" scales was a way in the future, so why not? Of course, once you had the Camel, it makes sense for the other WW1 models to be the same. It must be said, though, that depite its age, the level of detail is very impressive...

bestest,

M.