Model Cars Magazine Forum

PRIMER Shootout: Plastikote T-235 vs Dupont Nason 421-24

Will they ship a single can for free? It states free shipping with orders over $35.

I don't see why not, if your total order is $35 or more. I got mine with school supplies for my son. The order shipped from different locations, and shipping was free.

Will they ship a single can for free? It states free shipping with orders over $35.

The owner of my local parts house that carried Plasti Kote told me some time ago (maybe a year) that Valspar bought Plasti Kote. It wasn't long after he told me that the goofy locking, spitting spray nozzles appeared on them. Today I was determined to find a place that sold Plasti Kote with zero luck. The last stop I made was at Lowes. I made my way to the spray paint aisle and there was Valspar sandable primer with the exact same locking, spitting nozzle on it. Looked at the price and it was $3.98 for a 12 oz. can. I bought a can of gray and white. I'm getting ready to spray a body with the gray to see how it works. It may be good primer. It may not be worth a spit. One thing I noticed is that the Plasti Kote and the Valspar have the exact same first five lot numbers on them.

Just checked their site, confirmed, Plasti Kote is a division of Valspar.

Visited NAPA the other day. They will not order Plastikote. Duplicolor only.

Contacted Plasikote (Valspar), but Lowes does not have any requests to carry the 'PK' paints.

Finally decided to order a few cans online from Amazon. Will replace the spray-nozzles or decant the primer (if needed).

I found one location in National City, Ca that carries Plastikote, but it's a 90 mile drive.......TOOOOOOOO far. Amazon is closer and Free shipping.

• 3 weeks later...

In Massachusetts/RI/Ct, you can get it at Consumer Auto Parts.

CAP will ship if you call them and request it; they carry the full line of Plasti-Kote automotive paint, and at competitive prices.

I've often wondered if RPM (who also owns Testors, Rust-Oleum, and several other paint lines) is really aiming for some kind of monopoly? All of a sudden, competitive products have become very hard to find.

Charlie Larkin

Edited by charlie8575

Visited NAPA the other day. They will not order Plastikote. Duplicolor only.

You're right, my mistake. I just looked at the can and it's Duplicolor.

One of the locally owned auto parts stores here (Knecht's) carries PlastiKote in stock

Dear Ismael,

GREAT post on a subject that gets allot of attention, I have a few posts out their about the benefits of using REAL automotive primers vs the big box products. I have like ten different primers on the shelf that I have been wanted to do side by sides with however you are more ambitious then I am !!!!

I've been preaching this since I joined the site! I think as you use the Nason product more and get a feel for the performance you are going to like it much better than what you used in the past and have less paint to primer issues.

Thanks for taking the extra time and effort to improve the quality of our builds! Much Appreciated :D

Peace Jimmy "RASS"

• 2 weeks later...

The last stop I made was at Lowes. I made my way to the spray paint aisle and there was Valspar sandable primer with the exact same locking, spitting nozzle on it. Looked at the price and it was $3.98 for a 12 oz. can. I bought a can of gray and white. I'm getting ready to spray a body with the gray to see how it works. It may be good primer. It may not be worth a spit. One thing I noticed is that the Plasti Kote and the Valspar have the exact same first five lot numbers on them.

Hey Roger, any follow up on that Valspar? I just found out what everyone else did, this stuff is practically nonexistent, unless you want to pay way too much/can and wait for shipping. I need an available alternative.

-Mike