Model Cars Magazine Forum

41 Willys 1 piece front end?

I am starting to plan out a build of a friends 41 Willys pickup gasser. he has a one piece front end that tilts forward, but most kits I have or have seen have stationary front fenders and a removable hood. But I could have sworn at least one kit had a 1 piece front end! I have Revells 41 pickup and also the 41(?) coupe kits of recent issue and both are of the stationary fender type.

any clues would be appreciated! maybe even a resin front end?

edit to try to answer my own questions: does the Revell 43 Willys pickup have a one piece front end? just looked at one on ebay and it kinda did look like it might. what is the difference between a 41 and 43 Willys? somehow I think I remember something about the grille opening being larger and smaller?

jb

Edited by jbwelda

>The AMT Willys Coupe/Pickup has a one piece tilt front end.

ah yes it indeed does seem to!

this is going to get kind of complicated though, I am actually using a drag city casting resin cab and was planning on using the revell 41 kit since it has the short pickup bed my friends truck has. but everything is sort of wrong on it vs his...kit has a tube frame vs his square channel frame, kit hemi vs his sbchevy. so I might have to either go with this AMT kit you point out or find some other combination.

do you happen to know if this AMT kit has a tube frame, or a normal, more stockish channel frame?

at this point I might not even use the resin cab, which is more correct than the kit one, but looking at photos of my friends car, im not sure the correct cab is going to be worth using even though the rear windows and front fenders are like his (and not like the ones in the kit body).

any idea how well the nose piece from the AMT kit would line up with the Revell pickup body?

thanks again

jb

another thought: is this AMT Willys basically the same tool as the old original that came in the double kit with I think a 32 ford sedan with the quad headlamps and edsel grille? I do seem to remember that one had a one piece front end too.

jb

another thought: is this AMT Willys basically the same tool as the old original that came in the double kit with I think a 32 ford sedan with the quad headlamps and edsel grille? I do seem to remember that one had a one piece front end too.

jb

Yes, it's basically the same kit.

Scott

...do you happen to know if this AMT kit has a tube frame, or a normal, more stockish channel frame?

any idea how well the nose piece from the AMT kit would line up with the Revell pickup body?

YES. on the frame. Rather simple, more "stockish" rectangular tube frame with a molded-in rear floor.

I don't have the latest Revell one-piece truck cab in stock, but the AMT flip-nose looks like it should fit the old Revell SWC Willys OK (both on the bench as we speak). The AMT nose is cut through the rear of the fenders...the entire fender does NOT come up with the nose, so that will take some careful work. Also, the AMT front wheel openings are somewhat larger and shaped differently from the old SWC body.

Why not just cut the fenders loose on the body you have and graft them to the hood, making your own flip-nose? Then everything should fit well.

The engines in the AMT kits are Oldsmobiles, by the way.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

>Why not just cut the fenders loose on the body you have and graft them to the hood, making your own flip-nose?

yep that's about what I was getting to as well. shouldn't be too hard to do; I was just hesitating before cutting into a 30 dollar resin body. and he who hesitates is lost so...

jb