Model Cars Magazine Forum

55-56-57 El Caminos-- finished 57 update 12/15/13

Started the 55 Nomad pickup conversion several years ago with the old AMT trophy series kit and finally finished it up, I was pretty happy with it other than pickup bed seems kinda unfinished. Now I wondered how a 56 might look done the same way but with much a more finished bed area. Halfway through the 56, a 57 seemed like the next member of the family so I started that one too. Here's where they are today. What do ya think ?
55-3.jpg
56-1.jpg
used the top from a newer AMT Nomad kit, wish I hadn't it's some kind of strange rubbery brown plastic, very hard to work with
56-4.jpg
56-5.jpg
56-7.jpg
almost went with more of a stock look
56-9.jpg
ended up a little more custom and lowered
56-15.jpg

Edited by farmer1

Here's some of the work on the 57. Finding a suitable kit to start with was a lot tougher than I thought, all the Nomad kits I could find seemed poorly proportioned, the Monogram kit has a strange looking windshield opening and side trim is way too wide for the available photo etch pieces, the old Revell kit with the opening doors is a warped thin brittle and poorly engraved piece. Finally took the AMT pro shop 57 hardtop kit and the Monogram Nomad kit to make it. The AMT is 1/25, Monogram is 1/24 but the wheelbase is the same and the width at tailights is the same :blink: ???

0022.jpg

0042.jpg

0053.jpg

57-7.jpg

57-11.jpg

57-14.jpg

Your "prehistoric El Caminos" look GREAT! I have a '55 Elky in the works myself. Like you, I got rid of the flange AMT put on the pickup roof piece to cover the cut, preferring to blend the two pieces together for a more factory look. I'm going a different route with mine: Mine will be a work truck as I envision Chevy would have built it. Like the Sedan Delivery, it will be in base 150 Series trim - the Nomad fender and door trim has gone away. I recontoured the rear wheel openings to the shape used on the other wagons and sedans, not the radiused look they used on the Nomad. I'll even be substituting a straight-6 for the 265 V-8. Blackwalls and poverty caps will finish off the stripper look. I have a number of other builds in line in front of it at the moment (for CBP's with deadlines... ), but I hope to have it back on the bench by fall.

I agree John, I think the 57 will be red, and I'll keep an eye out for yours Jim, I like the sound of it and hope you post it when you get to it, meanwhile here's a little progress, did some interior work, looks like I need to thin down the horn ring, and made a rear window and a molding to go around it

56-16.jpg

56-17.jpg

There used to be a guy who lived here in my neighborhood who had a 57 Nomad Extended Cab El Camino. He had a Nomad with the back part of the roof rusted through, and he found another which had been sitting with the back part under a shed and the front was rusted. So he combined them and had the roof longer by a small 1/4 window behind the door. Then he had the upper half of the tailgate on the back of the roof and the lower part in its stock location. It had a storage area behind the front seat. It actually looked factory.

The same guy also built a 56 Chevy Extended Cab pickup on a longbed frame.

Neither was nicely painted, though the pickup did get a candy green with flames paint job after several years of driving in purple primer. Still neither was ever "Show" quality. The bodywork was quite well done, but the overall finish on both was more rat rod daily driver than magazine stuff. Still VERY cool stuff. This build brought them immediately to mind.

• 10 months later...

Finally finished up the 56, I had set it aside because the seam in the roof reared its ugly head and I figured it would need repainted. The other day I thought what have I got to lose so I wet sanded it and luckily didn't go through the clear, I was able to polish it back out and it looks okay now. Got the photo etch set mainly for the grill, used the hood emblem, some scripts and the wipers too, man are those things a pain ! I like the way it turned out, now Im' pumped up to work on the 57.

100_0223_zps89e4a783.jpg

100_0224_zps080d7877.jpg

Did some bodywork on the 57 and picked out some wheels, think I'll flip the spindles and lower it a little. Thinking a nice red for this one ?

57-14.jpg

Edited by farmer1

• 10 months later...