Model Cars Magazine Forum

i am hurt

mnwildpunk

On the opposite end of that spectrum ; my dad (age 77) actually enjoys some of the music in my collection . He really likes John Cale 'Vintage Violence' (1970) , Television 'Marquee Moon' (1977) , Love ,'Forever Changes' (1967) , and Velvet Underground 'Velvet Underground' (1969) !

Your son will hopefully develop an appreiation for Dave Brubeck , etc. That kind of music takes real talent to compose , create , and perform , unlike Beiber , and his ilk .

But that's how we all entered music appreciation... getting turned on by the repetition of whatever the pop radio was playing. The more we listen, the more we learn and the more selective we become until you can't help expand your horizon into otherwise unknown territory, like Dave Brubeck or jazz in general. The fact that your son even questions it means he's noticing and beginning to sort out his own thoughts about music choice.

My dad's a huge Brubeck fan. I first heard Take Five when I was 12, and loved it ever since.

Then again, I was thoroughly immersed in classical and big-band, the Great American Song Book, blues, tin-pan alley and ragtime. And Middle Eastern music.

Much to the dismay of my friends, I actually almost never listened to what was then contemporary music. Oh, wait...still don't, really, save for country and the occasional pop or rock song that comes along that I really like.

Start your step-son off with more Brubeck. Find a copy of "Dave Digs Disney"- GREAT album, and one he'll probably enjoy.

Another very good record, but rare, is Summit Sessions. It showcases a wide variety of jazz/jazz-influenced music from musicians around the world, also a Brubeck Album.

Also, find some Louis Armstong (almost every kid likes Louie,) some big band (Glenn Miller and Benny Goodman are good picks for kids, along with Woody Herman and Buddy Rich.)

If your town or a nearby city has a decent symphony, get him there.

Do whatever you must to make him understand that music that is timeless will endure far beyond the vapid, repulsive, putrid trash he thinks is cool.

Charlie Larkin

Charlie I have been watching the mpls city pages waiting to see when Orchestra hall has a kids day I remember when I went to it back in the 80's

they played tunes such as the bonanza theme, green hornet, batnam and many other cool tunes and I've been hooked on the stuff ever since

Edited by mnwildpunk

Dave,

Anything Brubeck is all good!!!Take Five Is a Classic

I'm much like John Shoe, their was always music In our house when I was growing up and their were many flavors to choose from.

When I was very young my father was a tenor in a Barber Shop Quartet which was really big in that era (50s early 60s) I was raised on rock (JDWinter) and my dad really liked allot of it. One Bands he used to really like was Emerson, Lake and Palmer, he favored the Trilogy album and particularly liked the Sheriff and Hoedown.

American Standards with a rock flair, genius on ELPs part really.

My Daughter listens to more of my music that she heard while she was growing up than what she bought and listened to when she was able to make her own choices!! there is hope!

... The more we listen, the more we learn and the more selective we become until you... expand your horizon into otherwise unknown territory, like Dave Brubeck or jazz in general. The fact that your son even questions it means he's noticing and beginning to sort out his own thoughts about music choice.

Exactly.

Being exposed to different genres allows a young person to realize there's a whole wide world full of music beyond the packaged commercial swill-du-jour. Only being exposed to what his immediate peer group listens to is...probably mind numbing.

I'm gonna go put on some Miles. :)

PS. I didn't really discover jazz until I was in my late 20s, though I do recall being drawn to TV and movie themes with a jazz feel when I was much younger.

You did let him in on the secret that you was one of the old people?!?! :lol:

My father was a big audio fan and had 100s of records. All old people music. When he died I acquired them, tubs and tubs of music that wasn't mine. As I sorted through I started to recognize the albums from when I was a kid. I popped some on the turn table (yes, I have a turn table!) and realized that I recognized every track. And it didn't sound all that bad. So I kept a mess of them. Bet ya my father was smiling.

• 2 weeks later...

Charlie I have been watching the mpls city pages waiting to see when Orchestra hall has a kids day I remember when I went to it back in the 80's

they played tunes such as the bonanza theme, green hornet, batnam and many other cool tunes and I've been hooked on the stuff ever since

The Boston Pops does a whole bunch of those every year. Great way to gain exposure for good music.

Charlie Larkin

You did let him in on the secret that you was one of the old people?!?! :lol: NOT THAT BIG OF A SECRET AND HE ALREADY KNOWS

My father was a big audio fan and had 100s of records. (MY SON USED TO CALL THEM MY BIG CDS) All old people music. When he died I acquired them, tubs and tubs of music that wasn't mine. As I sorted through I started to recognize the albums from when I was a kid. ( SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME IN FEB. MY MOM PASSED AND I GOT ALL HER RECORDS ABOUT 1000 RECORDS!!!) FROM WHAT I'VE WENT THROUGH SO FAR I HAVE MAYBE FIVE I DIDN'T CARE FOR! I popped some on the turn table (yes, I have a turn table!) ME TOO! and realized that I recognized every track. And it didn't sound all that bad. So I kept a mess of them. Bet ya my father was smiling.

MY MOM I THINK IS TOO Edited by mnwildpunk