Model Cars Magazine Forum

'49 Merc extreme custom

Trans Am Erik

This is a car I have had for many years. It has been the guinna pig for my crazy bodywork and was almost destroyed. In it's first incarnation I got it from the auction at my model car club. The top was chopped 4in and the body was sectioned 4in. The roof was unsavable so I grafted a new roof on made out of the chopped front half of a '49 ford and the narrowed bacl half of a Chezoom roof. I also layed the headlights back and pancaked the hood. For the rear I made the trunk lid from a Prowler trunk and hand fabbed the roll pan and sunken liscence plate. I could never get the curve of the roof right, it sagged in the middle and the tail lights were a mess. So the car got put aside for years and now I aim to redesign it.

Here's what she looked like when I dug it out of the box after 7 years

Picture009.jpg

Picture006-2.jpg

Picture005-1.jpg

In looking for a doner car for a new roof the whole car took a new direction. I decided to go with a '67 Impala roof, but then it snowballed into not just the roof but the rear quarters as well. The new windshield is a layed back modified '49 Merc part. The Merc now has that "Coke Bottle" shape.

Picture002-1.jpg

Picture010-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Dr. it was a lot of searching to find the right roof line to rebuild the cars origional shape. Then after staring at it as to where to cut this idea came out. The idea I have for the rear end is to make a '51ish Merc tail with a phantom Continental kit trunk (Mark VII ish)