Model Cars Magazine Forum

Box Top Blunders, Omissions, False Advertisements...

AMT '69 Dodge Daytona with the "recall" wheels pictured on the box art build, but not included with the kit. :rolleyes:

attachicon.gifamt69dayt.JPG

Also, if you look closely, that one appears to have the '68 Roadrunner chassis under it, and what appear to be some scratchbuilt underhood details (like a hood latch plate, IIRC) which, like the KH wheels, are nowhere to be found inside the box.

Wait a minute! Are you saying that the model in the box doesn't include any of the dirt track parts? The model can NOT be built as a dirt track car as shown on the box?

If that's true, that's more than a "mistake." That's flat-out fraud.

True Story..

In little Tiny letters, it said Model will need to be modified to be built as pictured

Edited by RodneyBad

Wait a minute! Are you saying that the model in the box doesn't include any of the dirt track parts? The model can NOT be built as a dirt track car as shown on the box?

If that's true, that's more than a "mistake." That's flat-out fraud.

Stock kit with a sheet of written instructions outlining how to convert it to a jalopy race car with Evergreen and telling you to order wheels from an aftermarket source. Oh, yeah, and a decal sheet of sponsor markings.

Basically a stock kit with a how-to article included.

Stock kit with a sheet of written instructions outlining how to convert it to a jalopy race car with Evergreen and telling you to order wheels from an aftermarket source. Oh, yeah, and a decal sheet of sponsor markings.

Basically a stock kit with a how-to article included.

How do they get away with a stunt like that???

Agreed, but with every other California Wheels kit they have the extra wheels included.

I did buy one and after reading the box over I wasn't holding my breath. :blink:

Not nearly as disappointing as the reissue of the '56 DelRay which was advertised as a 2n1 in the original Revell literature, but when it came out was a direct re-pop of the California Wheels kit which has all of the stock parts except the "snap-in" white wall tires. Still I can't believe those tires and the small runner of white-wall inserts cost THAT much that they couldn't include them. But then again I actually like the rims that are part of the California Wheels kit anyway once I looked them over.

Note the bottom left of the box, which says it's 1/16 scale. It's not -- it's the same old 1/24 kit sold under many labels. This is a typo that made it onto a ton of this kit. There never was a 1/16 version.

Picture1-4.png

And ya notice the really car has a 6 cylinder,,and this kit has a,,UHH looks like a blop of plastic for a engine, Zero detail.

inside tub seat combo has little to detail too...

Wish I had a picture of the box.

AMT's re-issue of the 60 Chevy Pickup kit. First offered in Michaels's

Shows a Longbox Fleetside in 2 tone silver/gray with side trim,

but open the box, and find the Modern tool Shortbox Phantom Cameo

that has smooth sides and is a Base Custom not the high level Apachie

It even shows Correct Fleetside outer box sides while the kit gives the Stepside box

with Fleetside "Fenders". Worse, the box was cast as one piece.

That one & Revell's 64 are not Correct Fleetsides, and both are very susceptible to warping

I had to cut both apart, add floor sections to widen the bed floor and then replace the outer box.

How do they get away with a stunt like that???

Well, it was during the flurry of third-party reissues when RC2 was letting whoever could pony up the $$$ and do their own box art and decal art run whatever they wanted. I'm sure that was one of the examples of "dilution of the brand" that led to Round 2 coming in and taking over the brands and ultimately purchasing the company.

A straight reissue of the Vicky would have been welcome at the time, and that's how we ended up marketing the kit at the wholesale level - we were clear with our dealers as to what was inside. I can imagine it was a tougher sell at retail. It was only a small run by DTR, there were only a couple thousand pieces done. They did another one, I can't remember which body it was, the coupe I think.

Well, it was during the flurry of third-party reissues when RC2 was letting whoever could pony up the $$$ and do their own box art and decal art run whatever they wanted. I'm sure that was one of the examples of "dilution of the brand" that led to Round 2 coming in and taking over the brands and ultimately purchasing the company.

They let anyone run anything, and put the AMT logo on the box?

That's the rub it's NOT the AMT logo, but the one of the company that did these kits (and they did about a half dozen or so of them that I've seen on eBay). I dunno how they got away with it, you'd think there would be a trademark issue, but I guess since AMT/Ertl can never exist again, perhaps there's no "confusion" issue with the logo. Who would sue?

Yeah, there were quite a few companies doing private label runs - Stevens Int'l and Model King did the most. You first had to make sure RC2 could find the tooling, and it was usable, then design the box art and decal sheet and commit to a certain purchase of x number of kits and they would run and box the kits at their factory and ship the kits to them where they'd take over and handle the sale and distribution of them. IMHO, and I'm a bit biased since I worked for one of those companies during that period, RC2 was a bit of a rudderless ship at the time and it was these private label reissues that really helped save these iconic brands during a rough time when a lot of these private label runs ended up being more popular and better received by modelers than the choices RC2 was making on their own.

That was when Tom Lowe and Round 2 came in and signed an exclusive deal for the rights to the AMT, MPC, and Polar Lights brand names and exclusive access to their tooling, which led eventually to them purchasing those brands outright a few months ago. All in all I have to say I've been generally very pleased with what they've done to save and restore these iconic brands to the place where they belong in the hobby world.

The description that always amused me was on the AMT anniversary edition of the '68 B body Plymouth.AMT's license agreement with Warner Brothers had run out so they couldn't use the Road Runner markings or wording.So on box it says something like "anniversary edition of a version of a kit never issued before" (I'm at work and the box isn't so I'm paraphrasing).I laugh every time I see that wording.

Wish I had a picture of the box.

AMT's re-issue of the 60 Chevy Pickup kit. First offered in Michaels's

Shows a Longbox Fleetside in 2 tone silver/gray with side trim,

but open the box, and find the Modern tool Shortbox Phantom Cameo

that has smooth sides and is a Base Custom not the high level Apachie

It even shows Correct Fleetside outer box sides while the kit gives the Stepside box

with Fleetside "Fenders". Worse, the box was cast as one piece.

That one & Revell's 64 are not Correct Fleetsides, and both are very susceptible to warping

I had to cut both apart, add floor sections to widen the bed floor and then replace the outer box.

This one?

kits019-vi.jpg

If you want the one actually shown on the box, that's the old SMP/AMT annual kit. I've heard the one on the box is actually a resin repop of same... why they didn't just use the actual kit inside for its own box art is beyond me.

Notice it says Retouched photo of ACTUAL Model!!!!

That's how they get you. They never said it would be the ACTUAL model contained in the box... only that it's a retouched photo of an actual model. Of some sort! :lol:

And it's badly retouched at that- you can tell the side trim was just kind of tossed on during the photo editing phase.