Model Cars Magazine Forum

63 Pro Mod Vette.......Updated 09/28/14

1320wayne

Well, since I have recently finished building a couple of recent projects that can only mean that I now have room in my schedule to add one back into the mix (not that I don't already have enough still ongoing).

With all of the most recent build threads and conversation regarding pro mods I decided that it's time to start on another one. I have a long list of upcoming pro mod projects already including some replicas along with some fictitious builds but this one here simply came to mind after creating a new set of decals on the computer a few days ago. I was really pleased with the outcome of what I created so I had to find the right body and overall project for them, and this is it.

A 63 Vette using a resin body from TEM. The body has some defects to it that need to be addressed. Not that Chris casts bodies with problems but moreover since Chris and I are somewhat partners I always expect him to send me bodies that have air bubbles or little blems in the body so that he can reserve all of the best castings for paying customers. Also, this body was mastered from someone else and for some reason their perspective was that the front wheelwells were really large, so I have to address that as well.

The ideas are rolling through my head on this one but so far I haven't made up my mind as to the rear spoiler treatment. Either a pro stock style wing or a top fuel style spoiler. It will have the complete scratchbuilt tube chassis along with a RG resin engine. And the paint scheme and graphics are going to be wild, at least that what my vision tells me.

Stay tuned for more to come.

DSC08250-vi.jpg

DSC08251-vi.jpg

DSC08252-vi.jpg

Edited by 1320wayne

Great subject and a pro building a pro mod. Kinda' like robots building robots. You wouldn't wanna' give a sneek peek at the graphics, wouldja ??

Sure why not.

This is what I came up with. It's an outdoors/camo. style theme. You will have to wait until the paint is added to see how it will all come together. There are mutliple images on the sheet for the purpose of doubling up the image, if needed.

BassPro-vi.jpg

This is going to be great! What scale is it? Looks good already, and with your skills it's going to be amazing build again. '63-'67 Corvette seems to be really popular Pro Mod body, especially in 1:1 scale, but that doesn't matter, because it's really nice car. :P

This is going to be great! What scale is it? Looks good already, and with your skills it's going to be amazing build again. '63-'67 Corvette seems to be really popular Pro Mod body, especially in 1:1 scale, but that doesn't matter, because it's really nice car. :P

I pretty much only build in one scale, 1/25/24 area. The larger scales are really becoming more popular but I will always stick with what I know best. There was a time that the 63 Vette was the primary body style in pro mod and even though it still is utilized quite a bit it has been taken over by the Camaros, or so it would seem.

O.K., so the bodywork is pretty much complete. Just a few small areas to smooth out. I was able to correct the front wheelwells, eliminate all of the air bubbles and pinholes and I added a small piece of styrene strip along the rocker panels and front valence to bring the body down just a bit more. As I progress more on the body and ready it for paint I still have to decide whether I want to do a completely scratchbuilt chassis or go the Revell top sportsman route and just make the neccessary updates.

DSC08253-vi.jpg

DSC08254-vi.jpg

DSC08255-vi.jpg

Edited by 1320wayne

Nice job on the update on the wheel wells... I am curious to know the base color as well. Guessing that military green or how about that Carhartt yellow gold color...

Not much of the outdoors camo, shootem up, freeze your butt off in a tree stand kinda guy. But this is definitely a graphic that is off the beaten path.

Real nice work on the wheel wells and I hope you stick with those graphics because I really like 'em. I'm just wondering what will be your base color?

Hopefully in a few days I will have some color on this one. For those of you wondering about the base color? Think of a color that is synonymous with outdoors/hunting.