Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT White Freightliner COE

Hi all, this is my first post in the truck section. Since returning to building models, I've started a few cars, but now I've got the urge to build a truck. I ruined a few truck kits in my youth, usually by attempting mods which were beyond my capabilities, so I've been collecting some unbuilt ones to replace them.

I have fond memories of building the Freightliner - my first truck kit - when I was 11. For this build, I've got the same Pabst issue I had back then. It's going to be built mostly as it comes, but because I can't build anything straight out of the box, I've extended the frame 1/2", dropped the headlights to the correct position and removed the out of scale rivets from the cab. I'll get some photos up later, but there's not much to see yet - the frame is in primer and the cab still needs some filler. :lol:

Looking forward to seeing the photos.

Tim

Hi all, this is my first post in the truck section. Since returning to building models, I've started a few cars, but now I've got the urge to build a truck. I ruined a few truck kits in my youth, usually by attempting mods which were beyond my capabilities, so I've been collecting some unbuilt ones to replace them.

I have fond memories of building the Freightliner - my first truck kit - when I was 11. For this build, I've got the same Pabst issue I had back then. It's going to be built mostly as it comes, but because I can't build anything straight out of the box, I've extended the frame 1/2", dropped the headlights to the correct position and removed the out of scale rivets from the cab. I'll get some photos up later, but there's not much to see yet - the frame is in primer and the cab still needs some filler. B)

OK, go easy on me... I know a lot more about old cars than I do about trucks. :blink:

I've sprayed a couple of colour coats on the frame. I was thinking of doing the cab this colour with some kind of white stripe design. There's a long way to go on the cab yet - still unsure about what steps to use. I might just use the kit parts, but I'm thinking about filling the gaps and making some simple stirrup steps. Any suggestions?

IMG_0266.jpg

IMG_0268.jpg

IMG_0267.jpg

• 2 years later...

Bumping a two year old thread (a) so I can find it and (b ) because I've finally found some time to do more on it.

Engine is mostly complete and I've mounted the front wheels. Rather than narrow the axle, I ground down the hub mating surface on the inside of the wheels and took some material off the brake drums.

I was toying with the idea of swapping in a DD V8 from another kit, but wasn't sure what to do with the air intake. I wanted to add an air intake stack and frame mounted air cleaner, but couldn't find any reference photos. How common was the front air intake?

Edited by dodgefever

Nice job on the headlights! Go with the DD! Freightliner was different for the air filter arrangements... From the factory, they had a couple configurations. one with the front inlet like the kit, and you had some with a stack right in the middle in between the exhaust stacks, you even had some with dual stacks if you had a DD12V71 or an other high powered engine. I have seen one with a DD 8V92 on U-tube that has two cab corner mounted intakes. But one thing I haven't seen (yet) is a frame mounted filter on these. They usually are mounted either under the cab or behind it. For the steps, you could get some good ones from P&P resin. They are of similar design as the ones from the kit except they are closed off from behind and are one piece. They are more accurate and no hassle trying to put them together correctly.

Edited by BigBad

Air cleaner intake options:

Non dependent on engine:

Farr dynacell frontal air intake like the kit.

oldTransconFreightliner.jpg

Farr front air intake that had two oval/eliptical 'nostrils' flanking the White Freightliner coathanger nameplate.

redwhitefreightlinerpipes.jpg

Rack mounted between the exhaust single air cleaner - this one has cab mounted (outboard) exhaust

GilbertFreightliner9-vi.jpg

The rack mounted was always my favorite - and one with the dual air cleaners was especially attractive. 12v71 was more common with twin breathers.

This guy has a right side frame mounted canister and cab mounter snorkle.

6664511877_912748091e.jpg

Other mounting locations: Cab mounted snorkle left outer corner, inset into the corner or recessed into the corner. Frame mounted canister was available. Freightliner was a custom builder and would build to suit the spec of the customer - so pretty much anything was possible.

This photo borrowed from eBay is basically the model kit $%28KGrHqN,!pEFD!CEUNJeBRDCjvIV,g~~60_3.

While I'm hunting the web for White-Freightliner pics.. this Glider Kit brochure roof view sure makes it clear the AMT rivets are out of scale - and almost best removed when the panel seams are filled in.

6987799692_de1d854d77_z.jpg

Tim

While I'm hunting the web for White-Freightliner pics.. this Glider Kit brochure roof view sure makes it clear the AMT rivets are out of scale - and almost best removed when the panel seams are filled in.

6987799692_de1d854d77_z.jpg

Tim

Also, the wipers way out of scale and not much of a molding. It's best to sand them off and use some photo etch wipers. In fact getting a hold of the White Freightliner photo etch kit would do wonders in improving this kit.

Thanks for the replies, good information. I've already removed the rivets and wipers, so at least I'm on the right track. I think I'll do this one OOB, then try another one, backdated to the lower mounted cab with a different engine and a stack intake.

Guest Johnny

I have the kit and want to back date it to early 60's if I can. Had one at JR Simplot in Colorado with a Detroit and 13 over trans geared really low!

Getting in it was like rock climbing! I'd hate to try it today! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've changed the plan on this and decided to add a turbo. Not wanting to rob parts from another kit, I modified the exhaust manifold and scratched up a turbo, aftercooler and inlet duct. I'll also make up a new Dynacell air cleaner with the inlet on the opposite side - there's a photo of this setup in an early '70s brochure.

$%28KGrHqVHJEoFD0My%28NeUBRCWbQ5CTg~~60_

• 2 weeks later...

Slow and steady progress. The cab still needs fettling, but after several fill-sand-prime-repeat sessions it's almost there. I assembled the kit steps but wasn't happy with the fit, so I ended up filling the cab. I'll make stirrup steps.

fl8.jpg

fl9.jpg

I got a bit further with the new air cleaner. It still needs bolt heads, but it's about done. I've roughed in a new intake scoop and duct, but didn't take a photo...

fl10.jpg

Friday update. I painted the new engine parts, but couldn't remember how I mixed the beige before... I think it was a better match the first time, but never mind. Also primed the cab in white. It will be green & white, but I haven't settled on a stripe pattern yet. Also got the interior started, it might look the same colour as the engine, but it's not, it's darker and has some gold mixed in to give it a sheen.

fl11.jpg

fl14.jpg

fl13.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I made some progress today. I've got the engine installed and the new air intake and ducting fitted. Clearance is tight, but the cab fits.

I've also made up some prototypical bracing for the stack mounts, so I hope they won't keep falling off now... of course, having added the support struts, the kit exhaust no longer fits. Three steps forward, two steps back...

fl15.jpg

fl17.jpg

• Like 1