Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Modified Stockers

does anyone know when the original amt modified stockers series,,,64 ford, 66 skylark, 65 olds 88, etc, hit the stores back in the day. I built 3 of the original issues in late 1977, but found some of them hard to find in most stores around here back then. also, does anybody remember if all 9 came out at once, or were they issued 2 or 3 at a time. I am building the 64 ford re issue at present and have always had a soft spot for them,,,just thought I would ask. thanks, a.c.

First issued in 1971. All nine were out that year. The first one dropped was the '66 Skylark (wasn't in the '72 catalog if I remember right), by '74 only the '66 Impala and '65 Chevelle were in the catalog.

The other three ('65 Chevelle, '65 GTO, '69 Falcon) came out during '71. They aren't in the '71 catalog, but are in the '72 catalog and not listed as "new" for that year. The '66 Skylark was gone for '73, and for '74 only the two Chevies were listed. Both of those disappeared after '74.

In addition, most of these weren't great sellers. I had the '66 Skylark back in the day, I picked it up on clearance. That would have been in '71 or early '72; we moved in mid-'72 and I remember having that one prior to the move. I had the Chevelle too, but that one was bought when it first came out. These kits were called "butchered" in one of the model car magazines back then. But to be fair, the issues of some of these kits prior to the conversion didn't sell well. I had pre-Modified Stocker issue '65 Olds and '65 Fairlane kits that I'd bought for cheap AFTER the Stocker issues appeared.

its funny,,,,,after buying and building cars from 1968 on, I really don't remember these kits from their 71 issue era. as I mentioned prior, I had 3 in the 1977 summer, and don't recall them until sparking a stock car interest at that time. I think you are correct, mark, that they were poor sellers too. buying the olds, fairlane, and gto around town in mid 77 I think tells us there was no lineup at the shops for these. certainly enjoying the 64 ford mod I am building at present. a.c.

The other three ('65 Chevelle, '65 GTO, '69 Falcon) came out during '71. They aren't in the '71 catalog, but are in the '72 catalog and not listed as "new" for that year. The '66 Skylark was gone for '73, and for '74 only the two Chevies were listed. Both of those disappeared after '74.

nothing really to do with this thread but darn I wish I had that kind of memory

I built the '64 Ford Modified Stocker as a kid in the early 70's. Don't remember too much except the two piece tires would fall apart and the bumper and side braces kept falling off. I liked to push the cars around and crash them into each other. Now I have all the reissues including a case of the 66 Chevys. I built the Falcon, Olds, and Buick to look like the box art. I wish they would have left the '65 GTO alone. The stock version is pretty poor. I have the reissued AMT (MPC) Monte Carlo and GTO Super Stockers, too bad the Mustang, Camaro, Barracuda, and Chevelle were lost or returned to stock. Don't get me started on all the lost MPC NASCAR stockers and pro stocks.

Edited by THarrison351

For me, these are the worst things AMT ever did! They ruined several great kits that I'd love to be able to build stock now. In fact I'd buy all of them, if they could still built stock. I like them all, even the '65 Olds 88. So, I literally hate AMT's Modified Stockers. Let's never mention them again!

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

For me, these are the worst things AMT ever did! They ruined several great kits that I'd love to be able to build stock now. In fact I'd buy all of them, if they could still built stock. I like them all, even the '65 Olds 88. So, I literally hate AMT's Modified Stocks. Let's never mention them again!

Scott

If AMT thought there was money in the kits.....they could be restored back at any time. The GTO was, the 69 Torino was. The Falcon is the only one I'd put any money into. It MIGHT get a return on investment if the stock stuff is floating around in the mold. The rest would not turn a profit.....and had they not been modified and given new life would have been scrapped by now anyways.

If AMT thought there was money in the kits.....they could be restored back at any time. The GTO was, the 69 Torino was. The Falcon is the only one I'd put any money into. It MIGHT get a return on investment if the stock stuff is floating around in the mold. The rest would not turn a profit.....and had they not been modified and given new life would have been scrapped by now anyways.

I hope your right about them restoring back the Falcon. That is the number one kit I'd like to see back in its original form. Followed closely by the '66 Skylark.

Scott

I built a Chevelle somewhere along about the mid 70s with the balloon tires of the day. Then about 6 years ago, I learned about filling in the wheel wells a bit and using PPP wheels and tires, and I liked it a lot better. And then about 2 years ago, I built the ' 64 Ford with PPP wheels and tires, didn't fill the wells in at all, and thought it looked just fine.

Most guys don't like the balloon tires, but there are ways around that. The MS series of kits, I think, make an easy, basic, late model of that day, if you just want a shelf model like I do. :D

I feel the same, john. they are a simple, yet a fun series to build and enjoy. I am presently working on the 64 ford mod, and enjoying it very much. I think all of the 9 in this series are interesting,...even if not really up to par by the standards of todays models. I will post it upon completion hopefully in a week or two. thanks for your input. a.c.

Doesn't take much effort to make a nice model out of them. The biggest shame is they changed molds to make them what they are. I love to have a 64 Ford restored to stock. That's probably never going to happen. AC just to let you know, sometime in the late 60's one of the NASCAR driver, I think it was Bill Dennis drove a 64 Galaxie in the Sportsman race at Martinville Va. Everyone else was driving Chevelles, Fairlanes, Novas. It was a big deal on the local news.

When they restored the AMT 65 GTO, it didn't exactly return to it's former self. The first ERTL version had wires covering the headlights and some body contours were wrong. But, it is possible they could come back.

The biggest problem is the kits were based off promos and the kit design, not even considering cost to restore, is too primitive for todays modelers taste.

I wonder if the current supply of used kits / unbuilts satisfies the few that may want those cars.

nothing really to do with this thread but darn I wish I had that kind of memory

Not memory, just having the catalogs! I should have looked at the '71 catalog before my initial post, however. I don't have the mid-year release listing for '71, though.

For me, these are the worst things AMT ever did! They ruined several great kits that I'd love to be able to build stock now. In fact I'd buy all of them, if they could still built stock. I like them all, even the '65 Olds 88. So, I literally hate AMT's Modified Stockers. Let's never mention them again!

For "worst", I'll nominate the Boss Nova. I'd bet a lot of folks would like to have the stock '63 Nova wagon back again...

Scott

well, now that you ask....old photos of some mods in that late 60s to mid 70s era seem to have huge slicks. several of the pics I have recently seen have the tire way out from the body. seems different cars and such ran different setups, but I am no expert. the 64 ford mod I am doing now looks better once the tires are sanded down some, with the sharp side edges rounded out a bit as well. I also trimmed the axle stubs down about 40 percent to bring them in some. that really helps, and looks ok to my eye. best, a.c.

One thing I've wondered about this series: Were those huge wide slicks really common for the Modified Stocker class in the early '70s, or did AMT just use what they had available?

Anyone have more info on the PPP wheels/tires John mentioned?

Depended on the track and the local rules. Around here they allowed a big slick on the right front only back in the day. 1/4 mile bullring at Thunder Road, owned and operated by none other than Ken Squier.