Model Cars Magazine Forum

Working Shock Absorbers?

Pretty funny that they went to all that trouble, then left the very obvious mold seam lines and sink marks on the upper A arm...

And that's a tutorial by Alex Kustov. I'm guessing he used spare, unprepped parts to demonstrate how it fits.

Edited by sjordan2

I would construct the scale shock much like the real one, at least as far as the outside/visible parts are concerned. You could capture the end of the smaller tube or shaft inside the larger tube, then insert a small piece of foam inside the larger tube. When the shaft slides into the larger tube, the foam is compressed, and if the correct foam is selected it will rebound the shaft and extend the shock fully.

I may be missing something, but when I made the working shock absorbers on my models, I simply had the smaller part of the shock telescope into the larger end. No worry about tiny springs or foam to fool with. The springs on the model itself will give plenty of "bounce" so that no extra "springing" is needed. ;)

Check out the video (silent) of the working suspension on my '58 Impala..............

About 1:12 or so is when I flex the rear suspension. Sorry about the video quality...........this one was done some years ago on a digicam that didn't have sound capability. I don't remember what size tubing/rod I used............I like to use whatever I have laying around and that looks in scale.

Edited by MrObsessive

Even in 1/12 scale, I don't add any dampening, as Bill said, it is not needed. But if they are coil over style, no matter the scale, I make the springs work. Even if only so they will look correct no matter what rate they are compressed to.

Brass is the easiest material I have found to make them out of, especially in 1/25 scale since there are telescoping tube sizes and it is easy to solder. But aluminum works good too since it machines so well.

I have a '58 Chevy shop manual which shows the complete steering setup for that car. I just copied most of the details and scaled them down to where they looked realistic, without looking clunky or gimmicky.

A lot of what you see is brass, plastic, and a whole lot of patience! :D