Model Cars Magazine Forum

Clearing over BMF

Decals are one thing. Sealing BMF is another. Decals Can survive time [more than most of us have] uncoated and still be OK. But sealing them under a clear coat brings uniformity [if that's your goal] and a protectant to them. The edges are also less likely to lift

My older examples of clear coated BMF [enamels and laquer] have proved to yellow over the course of a 15 year period. When held next to an uncoated example the results were clear [or yellowed] in both cases.

I use enamel clears over color coats below a certain color range and laquers for above. I never clear coat over BMF.

Of course these are over longer periods of time. If your goal is immortality become an actor.

Those are my findings.

Bob

You definitely don't want to put Testors enamel over BMF. It yellows in just two or three years. I learned that lesson the hard way and actually had to strip one when I tried to remove the yellowed foil. It made a mess! The clear chipped up all along the foil. If foil is applied correctly,it doesn't need clear over it. I would never reccomend clearing over foil.

If you use clear over BMF use Krylon Krystal Kleer. I've never had it yellow. Just don't use the triple thick, and wait at least a week before polishing. B)

Do you have any photos with the Krylon over BMF?

I've never seen a need to clear over BMF either. Do they clear over the chrome on REAL cars? Like Nick up there, I've got stuff I did in the 80s that still look fine. In MY opinion, it's just adding another unnecessary step that has the chance of going wrong. Absolutley no need to do it.

If you use clear over BMF use Krylon Krystal Kleer. I've never had it yellow. Just don't use the triple thick, and wait at least a week before polishing. B)

I know that quite a few people like Krystal Kleer, but I would make sure to test it on something first (just like anything else). It went on fine for my first two models, and on the third one, it crazed the paint under it. I've made the switch to Testor's Wet Look clear lacquer and, more recently, airbrushing Model Masters clear and I haven't looked back.