Model Cars Magazine Forum

RC2 AMT/Ertl Winged Express Fuel Altered - Buyer's Choice

Junkman

I'm talking about this kit:

001.jpg

Which I assume is the ex-MPC tool, correct?

When exactly did it lose the correct front wheels?

The front wheels in the kit are these:

002.jpg

The correct ones are still shown in the instructions:

003.jpg

Any idea which other readily available kit could be bashed for those?

Or is there a resin caster who makes them?

Between the first Buyers' Choice reissue of the Winged Express (with original MPC box art) and the second (pictured) one, the Bantam Blast fuel altered (which shares many parts with the Express) was reissued. Besides the body, another difference was the front wheels. Apparently, someone at Racing Champions didn't put the correct wheel inserts back into the tool for the second Express reissue. When the second Express reissue was a currently available kit, some dealers selling them would provide the correct wheels separately.

One other thing: the first Winged Express reissue was authorized by Al Marcellus (Willie Borsch's partner in the 1:1 car) while the second was not. That's why their names aren't on the decal sheet in the second reissue.

There are some other accuracy problems with that kit if you want to do a true model of the (second) M&B car. I forget exactly what they are at the moment but I do recall making some mental notes about some things that will have to be fixed.

Edited by Snake45

Apparently, someone at Racing Champions didn't put the correct wheel inserts back into the tool for the second Express reissue.

What an absolute tosspot.

Now I feel better...

There are some other accuracy problems with that kit if you want to do a true model of the (second) M&B car. I forget exactly what they are at the moment but I do recall making some mental notes about some things that will have to be fixed.

I noticed that, too.

In typical MPC fashion, the kit depicts a car that never existed.

However, if you want to build a model of the Winged Express, it's the only game in town.

Unless you have a better suggestion, that is.

Slixx just rereleased their decals for this kit. Both releases of the kit had " Winged Express " in yellow. On the real car, this lettering was gold leaf. The Slixx decals are gold leaf. The slixx decals also include the white pin striping. Also on this sheet are decals for Borsch's Charger funny car. I have included pics of my favorite version of this car. At one time it did have the spoked front wheels, although they are different from the ones in the kit you spoke of.

post-12052-0-88483000-1415925104_thumb.j

post-12052-0-46319900-1415925154_thumb.j

This is a great kit. I wish Round 2 would rerelease it. The best thing , to me , is the chassis. You could build a fleet of fuel altered using this chassis under Fiat, Bantams, etc.. I just started a model of the Psycho mustang which used a fuel altered chassis, and I'm using a modified Wild Willy chassis. With some added details, this kit can be a real showstopper.

It all depends on which incarnaton of the car you want to model.

It morphed quite a lot during its lifetime.

However, the frame is wrong for all manifestations.

The first thing I noticed (before I noticed the wheel issue) in the kit, is that the tubes protruding forward are tapered.

On the real car, they are parallel.

The real car its quite level with the ground, although with coniderable clearance, and the engine was installed with a rake.

The model does the opposite.

The scoop is wrong for each and every incarnation of the real car.

The seat is far from accurate.

There are countless other inaccuracies I can make out, too many to list, and maybe even too many to bother.

Slixx just rereleased their decals for this kit. Both releases of the kit had " Winged Express " in yellow. On the real car, this lettering was gold leaf. The Slixx decals are gold leaf. The slixx decals also include the white pin striping. Also on this sheet are decals for Borsch's Charger funny car. I have included pics of my favorite version of this car. At one time it did have the spoked front wheels, although they are different from the ones in the kit you spoke of.

I could not find the decals on their website today. Could you please give me the link?

The wheels supplied with the kit I have are decidedly different from the spoked wheels used temporarily on the real car.

They lack the inner row of spokes.

Also, the car is much more remembered with what I think were Magnesium front wheels, hence I would prefer to model it with them.

I think they are on the current version of the real car as well.

I'm a huge fan of the car, and am privileged enough to have met Wild Willie.

Contrary to his reputation, he was one of the most soft spoken gentlemen I've ever encountered.

What I was most impressed with, is the amount of personal time he was willing to spend with someone just walking up to him and pestering him with questions.

If you'd have met him outside the drag racing scene, you would have rather associated him with the SoCal intellectual philosphers and artsy bunch.

Mousie was just stoned, in a Tijuana sort of way. The two were just made for each other.

They both were really working class, and neither was associated in any way with the automotive trade.

They still managed to give the entire professional crowd a bloody good run for their money.

I like that.

Also, few people know, that Mr Borsch suffered from the rare disease of narcolepsia. On several occasions, this proved life threatening in drag racing,

but it couldn't keep him away from the sport.

Anyway, I have countless reference pictures of the real car, and the GMP 1/18 scale diecast.

I want to build that kit into a model just to prove to myself, what level of a modeller I really am.

Also as a hommage to the real car and the men who campaingned it.

I will never be able to make a truly accurate replica, my modelling skills are way too mediocre for that.

But I'll give my best.

It all depends on which incarnaton of the car you want to model.

It morphed quite a lot during its lifetime.

However, the frame is wrong for all manifestations.

The first thing I noticed (before I noticed the wheel issue) in the kit, is that the tubes protruding forward are tapered.

On the real car, they are parallel.

The real car its quite level with the ground, although with coniderable clearance, and the engine was installed with a rake.

The model does the opposite.

The scoop is wrong for each and every incarnation of the real car.

The seat is far from accurate.

There are countless other inaccuracies I can make out, too many to list, and maybe even too many to bother.

I could not find the decals on their website today. Could you please give me the link?

The wheels supplied with the kit I have are decidedly different from the spoked wheels used temporarily on the real car.

They lack the inner row of spokes.

Also, the car is much more remembered with what I think were Magnesium front wheels, hence I would prefer to model it with them.

I think they are on the current version of the real car as well.

I'm a huge fan of the car, and am privileged enough to have met Wild Willie.

Contrary to his reputation, he was one of the most soft spoken gentlemen I've ever encountered.

What I was most impressed with, is the amount of personal time he was willing to spend with someone just walking up to him and pestering him with questions.

If you'd have met him outside the drag racing scene, you would have rather associated him with the SoCal intellectual philosphers and artsy bunch.

Mousie was just stoned, in a Tijuana sort of way. The two were just made for each other.

They both were really working class, and neither was associated in any way with the automotive trade.

They still managed to give the entire professional crowd a bloody good run for their money.

I like that.

Also, few people know, that Mr Borsch suffered from the rare disease of narcolepsia. On several occasions, this proved life threatening in drag racing,

but it couldn't keep him away from the sport.

Anyway, I have countless reference pictures of the real car, and the GMP 1/18 scale diecast.

I want to build that kit into a model just to prove to myself, what level of a modeller I really am.

Also as a hommage to the real car and the men who campaingned it.

I will never be able to make a truly accurate replica, my modelling skills are way too mediocre for that.

But I'll give my best.

I am assuming you are talking about the Logghe Chassis car and not the first one that ended up in the Bakersfield land fill, right?

I just started a model of the Psycho mustang which used a fuel altered chassis, and I'm using a modified Wild Willy chassis. With some added details, this kit can be a real showstopper.

Yeah, but the Wild Willy Chassis is one, maybe two or three generations down the line from the one under the Psycho. I think I have an old R&C magazine that has a feature on the original Fiat Altered that the Psycho was based on. I'll see if I can find it if you're interested.

The original car is probably the most documented car of the two. This was the original chassis that was run to its limits until the last crash that knocked it out of action.

winged3.jpg

The second car, the Logghe Chassis car, was put together after they wrecked the first car, is the one the model is based on and is a totally different animal.

8_8_wb_sr_10.jpg

But, there was only one Willie Borsch

8_8_wb_sr_3.jpg

Edited by Daddyfink