Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dave Reutimann's 2004 CTS Toyota Tundra

David Thibodeau

Dave Reutimann is a local guy in my Area down here in Florida. Atleast he was till he got his first big ride in THe DWR ( Darrell Waltrip Racing) Toyota Tundra in 2004 I believe. Ever since I saw the truck run at Daytona I have wanted to build that Truck in high detail. I started this project almost a year ago but decided to post it now. I have gotten the itch to get back on it.

Here is a pick of Dave "Truckin" at Daytona.:iceslolan

17ntnfront_left2005-vi.jpg

No one makes a Toyota Tundra body so I have to make one! Or atleast close to one. I started with a Revell monogram kit of the 1998 FOrd F-150. The front end resembled that of a Toyota or atleast a good base to start with.

Quickly I got to work getting the rough draft going with .015 and .020 styrene and the lip of the kit hood to get t he basic shape I needed. I also split the bumper down the middle and took the lower half and shaped it to fit like an "underbite" that the newer trucks have. Then I added a COT style lower lip spoiler.

P1010012-vi.jpg

To get the hard edged flare on the fenders I made the shapes from Thin sheet aluminum and glued them in place. The reason I used metal was so I could sand on the area after blending with putty and still maintain that hard line since the plastic sands away easier and the metal remains durable.

P1010013-vi.jpg

After much sanding I added the first wave of primer. This happeded a few times and I wont bore you with the adjustments. It has the Tundra look and that was what I was after. Since its a SS Truck that ran at daytona I can get away with the shorter nose look it has. IF I wanted to replicate a Downforce body I would have had to buy a diecast and have it casted but that would be cheating right? :nono:

P1010015-vi.jpg

Here is the contoured look vert present on the Tundra. The metal worked out well in my opinion.

P1010017-vi.jpg

The rear bumper had to be made longer. This was achieved with square rectangle rod and blended in.

P1010019-vi.jpg

Finally the usual superdetail chores were completed. Roof flap was cut out and sealed in, Hood bracing added to the underside and it was hinged. Then the rear tonneau cover was remade from sheet aluminum and angled to make a hinge. Tether plates were made and the fuel filler was drilled out. Its ready for paint!!!

P1010021-vi.jpg

P1010021-vi.jpg

P1010023-vi.jpg

FInally I made a new rear spoiler like the Daytona style one out of sheet aluminum.

P1010024-vi.jpg

Into the paint booth the truck went. I painted the body with a mixture of HOK Stratto blue with some orion silver added to lighten it up. I think it is a breathtaking color and represents the color of the 1:1 truck well. The body recieved one coat of dupont clear and it was set aside to dry. The decals are being made by Thad Brooks out of Georgia on his alps. Once I apply the decals I will reclear the body but this is it for now!!

P1010025-vi.jpg

P1010026-vi.jpg

P1010027-vi.jpg

The body is where I stopped for almost a year and now I decided to jump back on this project and get the chassis done.

The chassis pan and greenhouse area were used from the ford kit since its pretty accurate even for this newer version of the truck. However everything in the front of the firewall was not used and was scratchbuilt with .080, .060, and .030 plastic tubing using reference sources.

P1010011-vi.jpg

P1010012-vi.jpg

Rear cell was built up usinf square tubing and .060 tubing.

P1010013-vi.jpg

I moved through the chassis conversion in about 2 evenings and then it was primed, based in grey and dupont clear. I will set this aside for a week or so and get other projects out of the way. But please stay tuned for updated for those interested. Supertrucks are way cool to me and a nice change of pace!!

P1010017-vi.jpg

P1010018-vi.jpg

P1010020-vi.jpg

P1010021-vi.jpg

P1010022-vi.jpg

P1010023-vi.jpg

Dave,

You make it look soo easy and straighforward...... :lol:

Yeah, take an F150 and sand it to a Tundra! What's next? a School bus made out of a Revell chopper? :lol:

My admiration continues :rolleyes:

This is the kind of build I'll follow even if I have no interest in the 1:1 subject.

Thanks,

Thanks guys... I was hoping the subject (even though its not your cup of tea Izzy) would get this section sparked up. I really would like there to be more of an interest in Nascar on this board. Seems lately there is alot of bickering and opinionated subjects overrunning the real purpose of this board. MODEL CARS!

Dave T

Thanks guys... I was hoping the subject (even though its not your cup of tea Izzy) would get this section sparked up. I really would like there to be more of an interest in Nascar on this board. Seems lately there is alot of bickering and opinionated subjects overrunning the real purpose of this board. MODEL CARS!

Dave T

That's exactly what I love about this place. I enjoy seeing a great project unfold regardless of subject. And who knows, maybe it may spark the interest in that subject.

I'd like to see more on how you do the hinges. I have the general idea but my attempts have not been the most successful.

Thanks,

That's exactly what I love about this place. I enjoy seeing a great project unfold regardless of subject. And who knows, maybe it may spark the interest in that subject.

I'd like to see more on how you do the hinges. I have the general idea but my attempts have not been the most successful.

Thanks,

Thanks guys....

Izzy,

Detailmaster makes PE hinges for this purpose. They have holes in the bases and what I do is drill a hole in the side of the hood or trunk and the opposite side where the other hinge goes. I insert small pieces of brass wire glued in these drilled holes. Then take the hinge and slid it on the brass rod and glue it in well. Then cut the excess off and sand flush. The brass rod gived the hinge more strength... Its not a necessity to do it this way but it lowers the risk of the hinge breaking off after a paint job..... By the way, I love what you did for my buddy Jay with his vette!!!

DaveT

I was hoping you would dig this one back out Dave, amazing job on the conversion like has already been said you make it look so simply. Looking foward to this one, and hopefully it will get this section going better. I have a few WIP I could post to, not your caliber of builds but the more the merrier right. :rolleyes: