Model Cars Magazine Forum

71 AMC Hornet SC360 Finished

KevinMoparFord

Here are the final shots! Finally added engine details in time for the Mopar Nationals model car contest. Car is a resin kit from Missing Link, Johan 69 Rambler kit as a donor along with a Jeep engine dontaed from fellow board member Jeffs396, thanks Jeff!.

Morgan Automotive prewired distributor, photo etch wire looms and radiator cap added under the hood along with heaer hoses, battery cables, home made radiator hose with clamps. The wheels are from the Gremllin kit and the tires are from the latest 66 Mustang kit. Car is painted Colors by Boyd Alumma Yellow Pearl with urethane clear.

http://public.fotki.com/Kevin60brd/71-hornet-360-sc/

post-2871-0-16425800-1376332811_thumb.jp

post-2871-0-95934200-1376332841_thumb.jp

post-2871-0-69748800-1376332883_thumb.jp

Really nice, I love this car model.

Some suggestions:

You could add black upper mounting brackets above front springs in the engine room. Park/directional lights and side marker lights could be painted clear orange.

I thought about the shock tower supports and may add later, there is room for hood clearance. I tried a couple of time with the side marker lights and my wash was just not working. Chrome and the lines are kind of thick there. I may need to spend more time with it by letting it dry and then buffing off high areas. When I was looking at real cars the light is really narrow and just could not get it quite right when I tried it, then got in a hurry to get it without engine detail to NNL East for resin theme, then kind of lost interest it. Just glad I got it to the point where it is now. I do appreciate the feedback. Always looking to improve it.

I don't recall ever seeing a yellow Hornet before, but it looks fantastic, great job! :D

The factory color is a little more pail, but there is a yellow. If you do a search on the internet you may find one that I wish I had seen sooner, it is the SC360 like I built, yellow, but with a green interior. Not the most attractive, but I am sure very rare, seller thought it was one of one, looked to be untouched and very original. Car needed restored, but it looked very legit for what was there.

• 4 years later...

Last year I bought and built Missing Link's '65 Buick Wildcat. Yesterday received in the mail, Missing Link's 1970 Mercury Cyclone. Missing Link's '71 Hornet SC360 may have to be the next one I buy down the road. I've always like looks of that car.

My only concern with this kit, is exactly what comes with it? On Kevin's website, it sounds like it may have everything but a drive train. It makes me wonder if there is enough there to build a nice curb side out of kit? And if it does not have enough parts in kit the to build and curb side, what kit does one use as a donor for the parts needed to complete the kit? It's not really care on Missing Link's website. Or the build above.