Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1973 Chevy Custom Van - Dirty Donny VANTASY

The White Elephant in Spokane just got their shipment of Round2 kits today - I was there for the unveiling and picked up Dirty Donny's Van.

Pics, sprue by sprue.

Body - man, that plastic is thin where the sunroof cutout is - looks good though - not a lot of clean up:

9e9205a0.jpg

4d6cde10.jpg

Chrome - looks good - stock hub caps included:

8cd8ba44.jpg

84ed33f5.jpg

Parts:

57f334a8.jpg

And finally...

e689720a.jpg

You still have the option of removing the entire roof:

b6dd6d81.jpg

So, not bad. I was not a van fan in my earlier building so I never purchased any variants of this kit, but one thing I noticed is there are no door panels for the interior. Interesting, but par for the era, I guess.

Edited by Erik Smith

Yea

Which ever of those Custom's was first is likely when the standard seat was lost

The A-Team had 3 like those shown with the arm-rests, and one for the B.A. figure to sit in without them.

I have 2 original A-Team kits. One I bought & started New, one I got at a yardsale for about $1.oo.

It is almost a Glue-bomb, but still good for parts.

I do see the 4 Rotator/flasher bases on the chrome tree. So why not offer the caps for police or Fire/Rescue options??

Thanks much for the pics of the kit's contents , Erik !

It's reassuring to see the stock steel wheels / hubcaps combo ; but I'm wondering about its tyres ...

Kudos to Round2 for re-re-re-re-releasing this kit and for restoring the red and ambre lights !

Tires are the old Good Year Polyglas hollow tires.

Erik, to answer you're question on "Aftermarket seats" being skinny, well some were anyway. Chevrolet had the tightest cab of all the vans anyway. In order to make the seats swivel, you had to remove the armrests as the fold down arms interfered with the door panels . Most customers chose to buy the Leatherete door pulls or do some sort of chain . Others simply took the fold down arm rests off the seats in order to utilize the G M arm rests . Ed Shaver

Tires are the old Good Year Polyglas hollow tires.

WHEW ! I was concerned that the horrid two-piece AMT tyres were reissued as well (HA!) . Those generic , hollow GoodYear Polyglas tyres (G70-15 , iirc ...) are amongst my favourites , as they can be utilised in multiple applications , albeit incorrect on many as well :P .

Thanks again , Erik !

Late to the party on this one, BUT......

The A-Team was a GMC van, so it had the GMC grill. The first release of the A-Team van had NO chrome-plated parts, whereas the newer release did have chrome-plated parts. The A-Team van also had a raised rib along both sides of the body, which is (thankfully) gone on this new, back-dated re-release. Round2 has added 'Chevy Van' to the front fenders in this new release, as well. The A-Team van had ribs on the roof, whereas the new release is smooth, like the 70's AMT kit.

Good stuff. I'm so glad they brought this old van back out.

Mike

Edited by Bluzboy66

Actually, the A-Team kits (as well as most of the 1/1's) were also sliding door vans, not sure why they got rid of the ribs, unless the 1/1 pre-'78 vans were also lacking in ribs too. Our '87 and the neighbor's '85 both had the side ribs and I'm pretty sure our '78 also had the side ribs (but different side trim) and all three had roof ribs.

I am finally done building mine and getting it ready for the primer. A lot of the smaller parts have seams and lots of flash, you get ready to spend a bit of time cleaning them up. the kit, if the rear of the body and chassis are not warped or bent, will build into a nice model.