Model Cars Magazine Forum

Alclad chrome

For me it takes just as much time to tape off all the trim and moldings to spray with Alclad as it takes to just foil it. Put it on cut it take off excess. Also you prevent the risk of the Alclad from running or seeping under the tape unless you spray a little clear to seal it first. Then you are adding more prep and dry time with that process. This is a great question you have asked. I hope more people awnser it as I would like to get their reasonings. I hope this helps.

Alclad, while great for things apart from the model like wheels, bumpers and engine parts, is not a real good way to chrome fine trim details. At least not for me. With Alclad I shoot a wet coat of gloss black and within minutes (before the black gasses out) I shoot the Alclad. Applying the Alclad over a base that is still tacky gives the chrome more bite and overall hardness when cured. Again this works fine on a wheel but in a small fine area like trim, which at times has two to three defining lines to it, you can easily run into obliterated detail because it has filled in with paint.

Sometimes the Enamel base needed causes a heavy buildup of paint before it becomes Shiney. It can become hard to gauge,which could cause a washout of the detail. Then leading you into more fustration. Because as everyone who has used Alclad chrome knows, fustration is just the beginning of this product.

Sometimes the enamel base needed causes a heavy buildup of paint before it becomes shiny. Then leading you into more frustration.

Lead us not into frustration....But deliver us from enamel.

The problem of paint buildup can be avoided in at least two ways: 1) Use Alclad's basecoat, which is thinner than...well, thinner than something really, really thin, and 2) use Tamiya's TS-14 gloss black.

I just spray with aqua gloss clear then spray the Alclad over that. I keep the air brush at an angle and I get grerat results. Never tried window trim with it though. I may have to try this just for fun. Also instead of using BMF i use Micro Metal Foil Adhesive and reynolds wrap tin foil. A bottle of micro adhesive and a box of tin foil will build a bunch of kits for a fraction of the price of BMF.

With BMF, I've never seen the need to even attempt it yet. I could see an advantage using Alclad if one has problems with BMF. Fortunately, I've learned a few tricks and techniques with it over the years and get nice results. BMF is just one of those things, like so many others,that the more you do it, the more you learn and better you get at it. Speaking for myself, I know I couldn't get as good results with Alclad as I can with BMF.