Model Cars Magazine Forum

73-75 K5 Blazer roof question

The slightly oddball 73-75 K5 Blazer had a full removable hard top. I believe that these were factory equipment (as opposed to 69-72 Blazers which were optional) but I'm wondering about the C-pillar area of these tops. The MPC 75 Blazer kit has a rather significant overhang seam extending from the top of the side windows. At first I thought this was a molding error and was figuring out how to correct it, but upon searching my favourite reference material (eBay motors) I've noticed that some trucks do indeed have this overhang but some appear to have a smooth transition like the 76-91 tops.

Here are a couple smoothies:

74_blazer_1.JPG

74_blazer_2.JPG

And here are a couple with the overhang:

75_blazer_1.JPG

75_blazer_2.JPG

Is this perhaps a difference in top suppliers? Not sure if GM produced these tops in-house or if they would've been farmed out to a specialty shop (perhaps one of the reasons for a switch to simpler half-cabs in 76). I had also thought that it may have been a development progression as the model years when on, but of the examples pictured the smoothies are '74s and the overhangs are on '75s. Then again, by now the tops could be from who knows what year. One common trend I have noticed is that on trucks that have a painted top the overhang has been smoothed out. Given that to paint the top the factory textured coating has to be sanded down this is not surprising.

I'll have to do some checking to see what the deal is with the difference in the tops. However, I do know that the top was not standard equipment until '76, there were even different model codes for with/without top. CK10514 was without top, CK10516 was with the top.

Well, not easily removable anyway. If you follow the messageboards for the folks that have the Chalets and Casa Grandes some of them have removed the camper from rotted out bodies and transferred them.

I just remember seeing them at our old local Chevy dealer and always thought they were awesome....love to build a replica of one someday.