Model Cars Magazine Forum

Spray can problems.

I have a brand new can of Plastikote white primer.I have had it for quite some time.I went to take off the cap and somehow I hit the nozzle and sheared it off. :x

I did try to dig out the broken tube part from the top of the can but only made matters worse.Now I can't even put a spare nozzle into it to use.

What do I do?Could an auto paint store empty the can into a new one or should I sent it back to Plastikote?Unfortunately I can't find the receipt.

Yates

It's only a can of paint :D ; and it's only a minor setback.

If it were a new can of paint (as in recently purchased) w/a receipt I most certainly would take it back for exchange. However I wouldn't expect anyone to pay for my mistake on an older product that I damaged and had no receipt for, especially on something as inexpensive as a can of paint.

The remedy is simple. I would take the damaged can of paint with me to the store with the intention of buying a new can of paint. I would show them the old can, tell them what happened, tell them I don't have a receipt, tell them I was willing to buy another one, and that I would like them to safely dispose of the damaged can. At best they may take pity on my situation and let me exchange it for a new can w/o the receipt. At worst they throw the can away and I am only out the cost of a new can of paint, and would be back in business w/a minimum of cost/time/hassle.

You could try an A/C freon can tap, the type that clamps around the can and pierces it in the side. Just make sure the hose is secured to a container big enough to hold all the paint. Other than that, I don't see a safe way of draining that can.

• 12 years later...
On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2006 at 12:59 PM, RowdyYates said:

Well I took the full can back to Wal-Mart and they exchanged it without question..

Yates

Right on! I'm sure they afford to please a customer once in a while.  I have punctured nearly full cans CAREFULLY after letting the can sit and settle completely.  With a very sharp awl, pierce slowly (right near the top where there will be no paint) until the faintest bit of propellant seeps out. Then wait until all pressure is gone and repeat the process (in case the puncture sealed itself and there is still pressure inside). Once all pressure is gone you can poke a larger hole and drain the contents.

2 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

Right on! I'm sure they afford to please a customer once in a while.  I have punctured nearly full cans CAREFULLY after letting the can sit and settle completely.  With a very sharp awl, pierce slowly (right near the top where there will be no paint) until the faintest bit of propellant seeps out. Then wait until all pressure is gone and repeat the process (in case the puncture sealed itself and there is still pressure inside). Once all pressure is gone you can poke a larger hole and drain the contents.

I do this all the time.  I fact I do it so often I made a rig that works like a saddle valve.  The threaded needle penetrates the can and you can control the flow by backing the needle out just a bit.  One very serious cautionThe propellent in most rattle cans is propane!  When you do this, be very sure it is in a well ventilated area and there are no ignition sources around.  There is sufficient propellent in a can to make a rather loud boom!

• 3 months later...