Model Cars Magazine Forum

Humvee ARFF Rapid Intervention Vehicle

Well, ya know how no project is ever really "finished"? This is one such project. I have always be partial to Humvee based emergency vehicles. After seeing this apparatus assigned to Squad 7 of the Chicago Fire Department at O'Hare International Airport, I just had to build it - or at least attempt it...

images-7.jpeg

I began with the Revellogram Jurassic Park Hummer Snagger Snap kit.

jurassichummer.jpg

The kit itself is very basic, but does build into a nice kit if you're willing to add some extra detail. The dark green plastic is the base kit, while all the white is Evergreen sheet and strip. These are two different examples of other body styles built with this kit

DiveRescue.jpg

Brush416.jpg

Gathering reference photos at the time was quite a challenge. I could not locate ANY photos of the Officer's(passenger) side of the rig. After great deliberation, I decided to take some artistic license and "wing it". I had seen a similar(or so I thought) US Coast Guard unit with a hose reel on the Officers's side, so I cut the compartment's out and added it there. Low and behold, shortly after doing so, I found a photo that showed no such hose reel on the Chicago piece...

Back to the drawing board... This is what I finally came up with and was pretty pleased.

HRIV03.jpg

HRIV04.jpg

Again, I had no idea what the rear of the truck looked like, again, "artistic license" was taken.

DSC05526.jpg

The apparatus was proudly displayed for several years. After working with a gentleman from Crash Rescue Services Incorporated (CRSI) on another project, I found a dual agent system that they manufactured for this type of application.

Dual-Agent-Skid-Unit.jpg

Basic construction began, but was stalled by a major move and lack of a detailed hose reel. Just prior to the move, the rig received a new paint job.

HRIV17.jpg

HRIV20-1.jpg

Fast forward to the past few weeks. I decided that it was time to "button this thing up"! I broke out the components and began to engineer the next steps.

1428038118_20150403_002450_RichtoneHDR-p

I committed to gluing items in place and fabricated a vertical tank for behind the hose reel pedestal.

1428038006_20150403_002758-picsay.jpg

Repeated puttying and shaping resulted in the configuration shown.

1428222179_20150405_041531-picsay.jpg

Here is a view of it placed in the rear of the truck.

1428222297_20150405_041659_RichtoneHDR-p

Lots more work to do. Debating about redoing the Alclad finishes as handling and time have taken their toll. My technique has also improved as well as the introduction of Alclad Aqua Gloss, a clear acrylic product that seals the Alclad while not dulling the shine! The hose reel(dual agent for those sticklers out there) is being constructed out of brass.

picsay-1383522592.jpg

Plumbing, wiring, and many details remain. Thanks for looking!

David