Model Cars Magazine Forum

How-To scratchbuild an egg crate grille

Hey guys here is something I've been working on. Egg crate grilles have been seen on many vehicles through out the ages so if you need to make one here is how to do it. The shape and size is up to you.

Whatchoo need.
Pencil, paper, ruler, marker pen (texta)
Super (CA) glue and thin liquid cement.
Saw and mitre box with grooves in the inside.
p1050093o.jpg
You'll also need evergreen 8106 for the grille slats and 157 for the spacer jig. I used 8106 strip because it's the same width as the saw.
p1050094p.jpg
The first thing you need to do is figure out the outside dimensions of the grille you want to make as well as how many slats it needs and then draw it on paper. This one has vertical slats 3mm apart and the horizontal slats are 1.5mm apart.
p1050042ru.jpg
Then cut the strips with about 2cm extra length than the final result requires.
p1050041h.jpg
Bundle the strips of the same length together and superglue the ends. Make sure that you glue THE ENDS ONLY.
p1050043f.jpg
You should end up with two neat bundles.
p1050044g.jpg
Put those aside and start work on the spacer jig. The spacer jig will allow you to cut grooves at an even and consistant spacing.
Cut about 1 inch of the evergreen 157 strip and mark the width of the slat onto it.
p1050047t.jpg
Put it in the mitre box and cut it to half way deep.
p1050048z.jpg
p1050049g.jpg
Lightly glue a piece of the 8106 strip into the slot and turn it over to add another chunk of 157 to the back to be a handle.
p1050051ez.jpg

p1050052s.jpg
Put the first bundle of strips in the mitre box and saw a groove in the middle. GENTLY saw it to a little over half depth. CHECK YOUR WORK CONSTANTLY if you over cut it you will have to start all over again.
p1050053j.jpg
p1050054l.jpg
p1050058e.jpg
This is where the spacer jig comes in. Put the spacer jig in the first cut and return the part to the mitre box.
p1050060d.jpg
p1050062m.jpg
Gently push the spacer jig against the saw blade and start sawing again. Once again- check your work as you go.
p1050064o.jpg
p1050065y.jpg
You should have the idea by now so continue cutting either side of the original middle cut untill you have the amount of the grooves you need.
p1050066qo.jpg

Make the spacer jig for the other slats as before and repeat the cutting steps.
p1050067c.jpg

Put the spacer jig in one of the outside slots and cut all the way through. Clean up the end with a sharp new blade and mark the end with a marker pen. You only need to mark ONE END of the slats. Now cut the other end off and clean it up too.
p1050068d.jpg
With the ends removed and cleaned up you can separate the slats.
p1050069c.jpg
Join one each of the vertical and horizontal slats at the marked end and one each at the unmarked end and tape them to a square edge of a metal surface. I am using an old carpenters square. Apply some liquid cement to the join.
p1050071m.jpg
When the glue sets, remove them and join them together with more cement to make the outer slats a frame to help the other slats .
p1050072h.jpg
Continue by adding the centre slats first and gluing as you go.
p1050073u.jpg
p1050074q.jpg
p1050075f.jpg
You should end up with this.
p1050076k.jpg

At this stage the liquid cement will have softened the whole lot up and it will begin to bow outward. To counter this I put the grille between the ruler and the saw blade and weighted it down with the glue bottle overnight for the plastic to re-harden.
p1050077r.jpg
p1050079.JPG
p1050081h.jpg
Badabing she's done.
p1050082e.jpg
p1050083k.jpg
p1050092q.jpg

I developed this technique to make a grille for a Morris 850 a couple of years ago.
pa030276.jpg
One word of warning though be careful with how wide you make the slots between the slats as the thin styrene can't handle the liquid solvent cement too well and you end up with something that's not too straight.
p1050095i.jpg

Well there you go. Happy scratchbuilding.

If you have any questions or want me to clarify anything please let me know.

Cheers

ShawnS

I have found that the slots in my miter box had too much play, with as much as 15 thousandths variance in length of cut pieces. Bought a new box and saw; same thing. I corrected it by sliding a steel mechanic's rule down between the blade and the box, and everything was cut the same length. Make a habit of always placing the rule on the SAME SIDE of the blade....Works fer me !

Thanks guys. I don't need to tell you all that this isn't a Shake'n'Bake hobby and everything we do is labour intensive and takes time and effort. If I didn't have to keep taking photos it wouldn't have taken me more than 1-2 hours to get the end result.

Ian, that was just the beginning for the Mini grille. There was still a fair bit of work to get it thin enough for the Morris and to put the surround around the outside and to get the right curve to fit the front of the body was a pain too but it all worked out in the end. I'm glad you like them.

Cheers

ShawnS

• 3 weeks later...