Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Moebius Ford Pick-ups 1971 Ranger XLT AND 1969 Custom SWB

SteveG

There has to be a small tire manufacturer out there that would see the wisdom in letting a model company put their logo on the tires for free! It's good publicity. Even store brand tires like they sell at Pep Boys would be something on the sidewall. Heck, most of us can't read that small anymore anyway!

Tire size, speed code, etc could be engraved, but maybe they're all waiting for a sponsor

:^)

Edited by Luc Janssens

Some of you guys need to back a few feet away from your monitor and look at the big picture. If you look closely at something you will always find problems,even on the REAL truck. I guarantee you that more than a few trucks rolled of the factory floor not 100% perfect. As for moebius's other two car kits, do the same. Who else was going to make a Hudson Hornet or a vintage 300? How about we all save the rivet counting and correct dimensions for the aircraft guys.

Well the big picture as you put it would be the kits being successful in sales, thereby funding further projects. But both the Hudson and C300 had to be stopped and have a bunch of issues back-fixed before the kit was brought to market that could have been avoided if they were taken care of before the tooling was cut in the first place. The "rivet counters" made the Hudson a model 10 times better than what was shown in the pre-release test shots.

Now if you want to go back to getting a couple of blocks of balsa wood and whittling kits yourself, by all means...

Well the big picture as you put it would be the kits being successful in sales, thereby funding further projects. But both the Hudson and C300 had to be stopped and have a bunch of issues back-fixed before the kit was brought to market that could have been avoided if they were taken care of before the tooling was cut in the first place. The "rivet counters" made the Hudson a model 10 times better than what was shown in the pre-release test shots.

Now if you want to go back to getting a couple of blocks of balsa wood and whittling kits yourself, by all means...

Now I'm not talking about the big issues. I'm talking about small insignificant ones. Ever since the Revell Mustang fiasco it seems everyone has decided to come out from under a rock and say " Part XYZ the connects to part ABC seems to be 1 scale inch off, let's burn EFG company at the stake!" and then of course the people who have enough time to stare at a test shot and find little things like that probably have enough time to fix them. -_-

Now I'm not talking about the big issues. I'm talking about small insignificant ones. Ever since the Revell Mustang fiasco it seems everyone has decided to come out from under a rock and say " Part XYZ the connects to part ABC seems to be 1 scale inch off, let's burn EFG company at the stake!" and then of course the people who have enough time to stare at a test shot and find little things like that probably have enough time to fix them. -_-

Well, the issue with the Mustang kit was not a minor issue, that was a pretty big one, I think most of us sane model builders can over look smaller issues in most case's

Well, the issue with the Mustang kit was not a minor issue, that was a pretty big one, I think most of us sane model builders can over look smaller issues in most case's

No I agree the Mustang was a pretty big problem,but since then it has escalated.

Actually pretty much everyone who had anything to say about the Mustang's myriad issues said their piece and moved on having made their decision on purchasing one or not. There have however been snide sarcastic comments in every conceivable thread by those who would lick the warehouse floor out of gratitude of Revell's mere existence making reference to the Mustang's issues and how they cynically relate to whatever the subject matter is, and it's critics as needing to let it go while none of us have said boo about it in a month or more.

And the hubbub about the "hubbub"... well, that's NEVER been an issue, now, has it?

Anybody notice how those on the other side of this interminable drama have an actual capacity to make a point without hyperbole and wild, baseless inference? They can pretty much quote directly from a legion of of quixotic self-appointed Defenders Of Kit Manufacturer Honor and let all the irrationality and personal attacks speak for themselves.

I'd like to see the last rivet counter - even a TRUE, authentic, miserable one who doesn't fall over himself declaring he'll still buy the kit - to suggest any manufacturer be "burned at the stake". Or even to get in the general TIME ZONE of such a thing.

Pfft. A REAL modeler just sits back and chuckles at all who whine and moan about a too-tall roof, and quietly turns to look at the one he built 8 years ago that has excellent proportions...from scratch.

[yeah, I'm bein' cheeky heehee]

Pfft. A REAL modeler just sits back and chuckles at all who whine and moan about a too-tall roof, and quietly turns to look at the one he built 8 years ago that has excellent proportions...from scratch.

[yeah, I'm bein' cheeky heehee]

In the same vein (cheeky, that is), let the rivet counters build Tamiya, and "real" modelers can build Palmer. If we comlpain about Palmer, they'll all stop making automotive models...Did that happen?

In the same vein (cheeky, that is), let the rivet counters build Tamiya, and "real" modelers can build Palmer. If we comlpain about Palmer, they'll all stop making automotive models...Did that happen?

Sure did! You think the Internet's rough now, you shoulda seen it back in 1969!

"Real modelers". Well-played, gentlemen. :P

For those of you taking it seriously, *sigh* - #2, "False Dichotomies", over here -

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=blog&blogid=55&showentry=107

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis

why complain? it looks like itll be a great kit sure their may be something wrong but has there ever been a perfect kit? I aint seen one yet. Just sit back and let the building happen.

I agree that the kit will no doubt be great, I have a fund set aside to purchase multiple copies. It's the rivet counter thing that bothers me. EVERYONE is a rivet counter, it's just where you draw the line on what to accept and what not to accept. Unless there ARE people who are perfectly content with Palmer kits. If a person had a Palmer kit, and wasn't driven to complain (assuming Palmer was still around), I don't know how much I could respect them as a modeler. The disagreement it seems is where to draw the line.

On that we will all NEVER agree. What bothers me may not bother you, etc. I don't know why this rivet counter thing keeps coming up. There's no way to prove an opinion, no way to resolve it.

Perhaps it's just venting. THAT I can understand.

That's really an undeserved and unfair shot at Dave Burket.

He subsidizes the expense of the kits issued as ModelKing exclusives because the kits would not be cost effective for the manufacturer to produce without ModelKing's subsidy. So, he either charges a fair price or you don't get the kit at all.

If you do not want to pay the ModelKing price, don't buy the kit.

But he does not gouge. That's a whole 'nother kind of situation. It does not apply to a businessman trying to recoup his investment.

And, in the case of ModelKing kits, it's an investment the manufacturer was not willing to make on its own.

:mellow:

Well said! Dave Burket runs a relatively low number of his kits, which always equates to a higher retail price. This is not gouging. Stevens International sold quite a few "private run" kits years ago, and their retail price(s) were always higher, simply because their production run was typically half to a quarter of the number of kits the manufacturer would normally produce.

You know how right you are. After all we are MODELERS, and it is only PLASTIC. If it isn't right don't gripe about it, FIX IT!!! We should just be happy that we're getting the subjects that we are!!! Years ago you wouldn't of seen this but now after people like those at Moebious are listening to what we want and are jumping through hoops to get it to us!! I don't know the debackle behind the Mustang and I know the fin area was off on the 57 Ford, who cares, fix the issues and have fun with them!!!

Please tell me what other industry, service, or ANYTHING where the stupid attitude of "We should just he be happy we're getting it at all!!!" exists in...name one...and GO!

Oh the cook made my order wrong, but I should just be happy this restaurant is even open...

I mean seriously if you bought a lawn mower and you got it home and found out it had a deck that wasn't the same size as the one pictured on the box and instead of mulching it discharged grass clippings all over the place would you really expect to go online to a lawn care forum and have a bunch of people tell you that you should either alternately JUST BE HAPPY that you could even buy a lawn mower and the other bunch telling you that if you think you could make a better lawn mower you should design it yourself.

I have no idea what a debackle is, nor what "hoops" Moebius is jumping through. Moebius makes models, that's their business, their sole purpose of existence. Moebius' key advantage over everyone else - except Aoshima who follow a similar "business model" - is that they are willing to show their work in the process and then take the suggestions of their customers who see errors (of varying degrees of critical importance) and then actually fix them despite the "Criticizers" being public caned here by the "Don't Worry, Be Happy" crowd.

Edited by niteowl7710

What I would like to ask the "it's just a model car" guy's is, if you bought a kit that you had hoped a model company would produce, paid 25.00 for that kit and then found it had a very warped body or a short shot (not enough plastic injected to complete the body shell),would you be happy with it and fix it or would you want a replacement body?