Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Peterbilt 359 Large Car

Totally awesome I see that I have a lot to learn on the about the scratch building and so on.

Its not to bad at all once you start.

Here's a big money saving tip.

Buy some poster board for patterns,that way if it want fit,you'll know and not lose a lot until you get it right.

And there's a lot of scratch builder's on here myself included that will give you tips anytime so feel free to ask.

I've been looking in on this build and its looking very cool.

On ‎25‎/‎04‎/‎2013 at 3:47 PM, ewaskew said:

Its not to bad at all once you start.

Here's a big money saving tip.

Buy some poster board for patterns,that way if it want fit,you'll know and not lose a lot until you get it right.

And there's a lot of scratch builder's on here myself included that will give you tips anytime so feel free to ask.

I've been looking in on this build and its looking very cool.

Thanks for the ideas Earl.

Thin cardboard works as well or you will be spending alot of money on sheets of plastic.

I remember my first scratch build back a few many many years ago.

I took an International and used the Mack Convoy truck and some plastic from a window blind to build my first place winner at the age of 16.

After all these years I managed to still hang on to one of the first trucks that I built as a kid.

Buy the time that I started to get into doing another scratch build I was getting alot better.

I then chopped up a 1/16 scale KW and first time with a cheep airbrush, built in the mid eighties.

So my big Pete is only my third big scratch build that I have done.I am learning as I go along with the help from reading other forums.

Nothing is impossible take your time and make sure that your body work is really smooth or the final result will look like a hack job.

Thanks for all your comments and any helpful advise is also welcome.

Thanks, Kenny B B)

Edited by Kenny B

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

hi ken that is one awesome job your doing there bud, if you don't mind i copy all your pictures from here and saved them for future refference im planning on building a 1/16 scale supermodified show hauler, i have a question, what size plastic did you use 040, 060, or 080 thicknes? if you can just email me at (normsracingart@yahoo.com thanks kenny......stormin norman

hi ken that is one awesome job your doing there bud, if you don't mind i copy all your pictures from here and saved them for future refference im planning on building a 1/16 scale supermodified show hauler, i have a question, what size plastic did you use 040, 060, or 080 thicknes? if you can just email me at (normsracingart@yahoo.com thanks kenny......stormin norman

Norman, sorry for the slow reply. I think ideal thickness is .050 if you can find it. My hobby shop seems to be out of stock on it.

Kenny B.

Thanks for the comments.

I'm getting real close on ordering the rivets, I figure I will have about 1500 holes to drill.

I need to measure the size of the rivets on a 1:1 Pete just to make sure that they are the right size. Anyone out there drive a Pete 379 let me know if you could tell me what the OD head size is in MM. Also is the head size rivets on the sleeper and cab the same size?

Thanks everyone.

Kenny B. B)

Edited by Kenny B

• 2 months later...

A few more updates.

I wasn't happy with the hood the sides needed to be dropped down to match the bottom of the fenders.

DSCN2924.thumb.JPG.4077385666c787814f0c077834dc9827.JPG

I wasn't happy with the lower sides when I extended the hood and didn't like the notch that Peterbilt puts in the bottom of the 379 hood so it will clear the cab when you open and close the hood. I decided to redo the sides to look better.

DSCN2926.thumb.JPG.cc30e6ddd5b310653ddf3c8cd3c66bbb.JPGDSCN2942.thumb.JPG.c5a18b764dc1ea717a50d138c5bfea6a.JPGDSCN2957.thumb.JPG.a7457c55247acea4a2a36cedeef2a5b1.JPGDSCN2965.thumb.JPG.88a7dd0769422955bed8acf2853557e2.JPG

Because I dropped the sides down the 379 style wasn't working for me so went with the new 389 hood look.

DSCN2966.thumb.JPG.11f7131b3ed5e24d1f78bc27cf953fbd.JPG

I added new door trim and added corners to the sleeper. What a pain to work with 0.13 mm sheet of plastic. You use a little to much glue you will melt through it and have to redo it as I learned quickly.

DSCN2950.thumb.JPG.70d662e86e922a61a4409e4aa28c7d7e.JPG

I ended up ordering the rivets on line and they just showed up the other day all 1600 of them. I'm not a rivet counter but I guess on this one you can call me one.

The fun now begins now what have I got myself into.

1600 holes to drill out.

DSCN2972.thumb.JPG.fb030cbf7318133882d7f9bd74a199c7.JPG

Will post more as they come along.

Kenny B. B)

Edited by Kenny B

1600 holes to go 1599 holes to go :wacko:

Kenny this is the most amazing rebuild.. I had always thought there was a 1/16 Pete. A friend of mine dropped a whopping $80.00 for one back in '81.. But you rarely see this kit.

This is some Top Notch work I eagerly look forward to seeing updates on. That KW you painted with the airbrush has to be the Sharpest looking and realist model I have ever laid eyes on. Different background and I would swear it was off the pages of Owner Operator.

This is one awesome, if not time consuming, project....Excellent work, Man.....I do not have the patience for all that....Amazing.....I guess that's what separates us regular guys and guys like you ;)....Beautiful..... :) And where did you get that pin vice....

Edited by kilrathy10

This is one awesome, if not time consuming, project....Excellent work, Man.....I do not have the patience for all that....Amazing.....I guess that's what separates us regular guys and guys like you ;)....Beautiful..... :) And where did you get that pin vice....

JT. I'm not the quickest builder out there I like to take my time and do it right. The pin vice was bought at my local hobby shop you can get it on line as well. It sure comes in handy.

Ken.

Thanks everyone for all the wonderful coments. Everyone want's to know what colours?

Silverish gray and dark plumish candy burgendy with black arcs across (if those are real colours).

Look at my members photo.That's what i'm thinkin.

Kenny B B)

Okay WoW,

I've started putting the rivets in. It has taken me 2hrs and 45 min. to drill out and install (are you ready for this) 35 of them.

I have mesured like 10 times to make sure my lines are straight. It doesn't help that they are so small that I can't see them.

I guess about in 6 months I should be finished puttng them in.

Kenny B :blink: