Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lettering, emblems and ornaments pre-chromium-plating

Hi

Somebody have problems to chromium-plating small parts like lettering, emblems, ornaments, door handles, door locks and so on. Most people paint it with silver color, but this is not looking good and you never can get a realistic look with silver color paint. Here is a small but effective trick how to do this.

You need Bare Metal Foil, a sharp hobby knife (X-Acto as example), tweezers, cotton bud and toothpick.

3336323632656666.jpg

I'll show you the trick on the "PLYMOUTH" lettering of a '70 Superbird.

The original car with its lettering "PLYMOUTH" on the rear sheet:

Vorverchromen.jpg

First step is, put Bare Metal Foil onto the lettering and cut out the Bare Metal Foil as scarcely as possible around the individual letters. use tooth pick and cotton bud to smooth the foil and above all the edges of the foil.

Vorverchromen_A.jpg

Second step, you prime the parts/body as usual. But now begins the trick. The primer covered the lettering including the Bare Metal Foil. So that the signature becomes again visible, the letters are polished. So long, until all letters are again visible. Please do not use sanding paper or other thing for sanding, this will destroy the Bare Metal Foil.

I'm use German polish named "UNIPOL", a very great polish to make these things great.

Vorverchromen_B.jpg

Third and last step, paint the body/parts as usual. After it is painted, polish again the lettering to make the lettering visible.

fertig7.jpg

Hope this was understandable and helps you to give lettering a realistic look.

Here are another example at which I did the same trick.

1966 Park Lane, emblemes and all lettering I did with the same trick.

plfertig1.jpg

plfertig2.jpg

Greetings from Germany

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd add that I've had success doing a similar technique after final painting. I foiled this emblem and trimmed the foil closely to the outer contours of the script, and then I flowed small amounts of the body color paint into the recesses of the inner part of the script:

Ranchero_21.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have a triple grit sanding stick that starts at 3200 and has 2 finer grits. 3200 will work just fine, just go at it carefully. Thinking about it more, I'd use a sanding stick instead of cloth, because you can better control the area that touches the model. Don't stress about it too much, its a pretty easy technique and after you do it once, you'll wonder why you were stressed. :)

• 6 months later...
Hi

Somebody have problems to chromium-plating small parts like lettering, emblems, ornaments, door handles, door locks and so on. Most people paint it with silver color, but this is not looking good and you never can get a realistic look with silver color paint. Here is a small but effective trick how to do this.

You need Bare Metal Foil, a sharp hobby knife (X-Acto as example), tweezers, cotton bud and toothpick.

3336323632656666.jpg

I'll show you the trick on the "PLYMOUTH" lettering of a '70 Superbird.

The original car with its lettering "PLYMOUTH" on the rear sheet:

Vorverchromen.jpg

First step is, put Bare Metal Foil onto the lettering and cut out the Bare Metal Foil as scarcely as possible around the individual letters. use tooth pick and cotton bud to smooth the foil and above all the edges of the foil.

Vorverchromen_A.jpg

Second step, you prime the parts/body as usual. But now begins the trick. The primer covered the lettering including the Bare Metal Foil. So that the signature becomes again visible, the letters are polished. So long, until all letters are again visible. Please do not use sanding paper or other thing for sanding, this will destroy the Bare Metal Foil.

I'm use German polish named "UNIPOL", a very great polish to make these things great.

Vorverchromen_B.jpg

Third and last step, paint the body/parts as usual. After it is painted, polish again the lettering to make the lettering visible.

fertig7.jpg

Hope this was understandable and helps you to give lettering a realistic look.

Here are another example at which I did the same trick.

1966 Park Lane, emblemes and all lettering I did with the same trick.

plfertig1.jpg

plfertig2.jpg

Greetings from Germany

Peter

Hey Peter,

This may sound silly but...Why couldn't you use the same procedure for all add on chrome parts? ie... side trim, window molding, street rod door hinges, etc...

I thought I'd add that I've had success doing a similar technique after final painting. I foiled this emblem and trimmed the foil closely to the outer contours of the script, and then I flowed small amounts of the body color paint into the recesses of the inner part of the script

I have never had the balls to do the BMF before paint as I have always been afraid of those primer "ghost lines" Jairus is talking about. Laying the BMF after the paint and then touching up sounds like a safer option, I was actually thinking about doing something like that on my '65 Impala build.

Guest Davkin

I use the same technique but do it in a slightly different way. First, I actually purposely use a single large piece of foil. This is so I can do several applications of primer over the area and between coats feather the edge of the foil piece with fine sand paper to eliminate any chance of the edges of the foil showing during paint application. The other way I differ is I don't polish to expose the foil, I use a micro brush and nail polish remover to remove the primer and paint. I however do as Peter does and do it both after primer and then again after painting, it's much more difficult to remove both the primer and paint in one shot.

David

Very awesome work and thank everyone for the tips. It makes it an even greater hobby with everyone sharing there tips and techniques. I always do custom cars so I can just sand off the emblems and say it was shaved anyway. Now with this technique I can finally do some stock modeling.... Thank you again to everyone...