Model Cars Magazine Forum

Testors Modelmaster acrylic paint

I was just wondering if anyone could help me out on an airbrushing question... I wanna try out some modelmaster acrylic paint, but i've never airbrushed before and was just wondering if you need to thin it at all or if it goes on right out of the bottle and what kind of primer can you use under it... I have the modelmaster primer, but wasnt sure if you airbrush that on too and if it needs to be thinned... Any help would be much appreciated. :D

The last time I airbrushed any of the Testors acrylic paint was 10 years ago, but I made the mistake of trying to reduce it like an enamel. Needless to say, it was way too thin. If memory serves, there's a brief message on the back of the bottle about not reducing the paint.

I haven't tried any of the acrylic primers, so I can't advise you on that. However, there's a great trick I learned on the Spotlight Hobbies board: Get a pack of white plastic spoons and try everything that comes to mind on them. They're dirt cheap, the curvature actually helps in assessing paint, and if you screw up, who cares? Wanna try lacquer over enamel? SPOON! How 'bout acrylic over an enamel primer? SPOON! Wanna see my favorite cartoon superhero? http://meaninglessguy.files.wordpress.com/...ick-graphic.jpg

One guy over there did a pictorial based on spoons painted with Tamiya metallic spray paints (lacquer) over dark, medium and lighter colored bases - proving that you can virtually triple your color choices.

Stick a fork in me. I'm done talkng about spoons. :lol:

Monty is correct.

The paint works great straight out of the jar, as for primer, your better off going to an auto parts store and getting some automotive primer, like Dupli-color, it sprays great out of the can and also comes in a filler/sandable formula.

Edited by Plastic Freak

Monty is correct.

The paint works great straight out of the jar, as for primer, your better off going to an auto parts store and getting some automotive primer, like Dupli-color, it sprays great out of the can and also comes in a filler/sandable formula.

Alright thank you very much. Does the automotive primer work ok under the acrylic paint? I take it you've used modelmaster paints before. I just wasnt sure if you had to use the modelmaster stuff or if any primer would work...

I was just wondering if anyone could help me out on an airbrushing question... I wanna try out some modelmaster acrylic paint, but i've never airbrushed before and was just wondering if you need to thin it at all or if it goes on right out of the bottle and what kind of primer can you use under it... I have the modelmaster primer, but wasnt sure if you airbrush that on too and if it needs to be thinned... Any help would be much appreciated. ;)

i never used primer under it, out of the bottle works best or if you want thinner go 2parts paint-1 water or alcohol.

• 2 weeks later...

I've used Model Master Acryl on unprimed plastic before and was very pleased with the results.

Acryl, incidentally, is the only line of paint I've been able to find that has anything that even comes close to Buick Engine Green, RLM 25 Hellgrun, a German Army color from WW II.

Charlie Larkin