Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dune Buggy, '57 Chevy Truck, '65 ElCamino

Merk

It looks like you have some fine builds going on.

I have a couple of Cameo and El Camino projects started too.

I wish I'd bought more of the Empi Imp's when they were last out. One good thing about R/M is that eventually they will be re-released.

nice work. I also have some cameo projects started. Always one problem that i face is the later issues the glass dont fit. It always has some kind of gap or is too short. Then got the first issue in a trade and it fits perfectally. Gona from now on buy the firtst issues. But again nice work. 84vanagon the el caminos have been released again. Now with huge 20 inch rims. Can build it stock or the california wheels series. Plus u can get it on revell web page.

The El Camino was based on 64 promo tooling, changed to make the 64 3 in 1 annual kit, then up dated to the 65. So this tooling has been around for 43+ years! Traditionally the annual kits were based on the promo tooling and the "Big Three" usually had sheet metal changes once a year so the annual kits weren't as detailed as the "Trophy Series" kits that didn't require yearly changes.

If you're not to far along on the El Camino look for Revell's 66 Chevelle wagon, for a detailed chassis. Revell's 65 Chevelle SS 396 and 66 GTO, AMT's 66 442 and Lindberg's 67 442 have prototypically correct chassis' for the El Camino. The wheel base may have to be altered somewhat to make them fit. Also Model Car Garage offers a photo-etched detail set that has the emblems, grille and other parts that can be adapted to the El Camino.

It looks like you're doing well on all three! :lol:

Hi Merk.

I cut my modeling teeth on these old annuals. The first one I built was an AMT 63 Thunderbird 'vert.

They were the good old days where you could get last years annuals at the dime stores for 50 to 75% off so they could make room for the new models. IIRC the 'bird sold for $1.50 so I probably got it for $.50 or $.75 cents!

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. Someone here will know the answer.