Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another Deuce

arick

My other project is this Deuce. Starting with R/M stock rails, I've mounted them in my chassis jig and am mocking up the TDR IFS cross member. I may extend the wheelbase a bit by moving the cross member forward. Once I have the IFS where I want it I'll mock up the TDR IRS. This will be followed by boxing the rails before final installation of the front and rear cross members along with custom center cross members.

I have an Edeuce three window coupe body that I'm going to use and it will be slightly channeled over the frame. Power will come from one of the TDR engines, possibly one that's not quite ready for the market yet.

007-2.jpg

008-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Getting back to the Deuce chassis, I've now installed the TDR IFS/IRS cross members.

005-3.jpg

006-3.jpg

Both pieces fit the R/M chassis without having to do any modifications. I've also boxed the front frame horns and the chassis rails back to the rear X member. I'm not going to box the rear frame horns until I know whether I'll be mounting a three window or a roadster body.

The chassis will now go back into the jig for installation of a center X member and motor mounts.

Edited by arick

3 WINDOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rick, it just crossed my mind, you have a couple of fiberglass bodied projects in progress....what a great opportunity to pass on a few (first hand) resin finishing tips to the members that may have not had the opportunity to work with either of these materials.

I'm not saying pick either one, find fault or get into a product evaluation.

What I'm trying to say is just point out the differences between resin & fiberglass, let the modelers form their own opinion about which best suits their needs.

Good idea Don.

I'm building four 8th scale fibreglass cars. There're a Willys coupe, roadster and woody and a Turtle Deck T. I'm also building resin three bodied cars and they are a Pocher Mercedes and Rolls. I'm also building a Deuce that will have either a resin three window coupe or roadster body.

Personally, I prefer working with a glass body. Glass bodies are exceptionally strong, they don't warp and they're not prone to chipping when dropped or when being cut. Generally speaking, a glass body can be produced with thinner and uniform thickness throughout. On the downside, fibreglass can be hazardous to your health so when working the body, certain precautions have to be taken.

In addition to my R/M and Pocher bodies, I'm working with glass bodies from the Madd Fabricator and a resin body from Edeuce. Bodies in both mediums are exceptionally high quality. Unfortunatly, some of the MF bodies are not currently in production however Edeuce continues to produce very good resin bodies.

As my projects continue to the body work phase, I'll provide additional comments and tips.

• 5 weeks later...

While I wait for some parts for my Willys build, I'm doing a bit more on the Deuce. The IFS/IRS kit comes with front and rear X members that are only boxed on the top so I've fully boxed both, as would be the case on a 1:1 build. It was a simple matter of cutting some sheet styrene to fit, glueing it to the X member and finishing with a bit of smear.

038-1.jpg

037-1.jpg

This build is going to be a bit "different" because I'm going to use a Jaguar engine and trans. So, in keeping with the theme, I ordered a set of wire wheels from Chris Garcia.

rickswheels2-1.jpg

Chris's wire wheels are all metal and beautifully done.

Next up is mocking up the front and rear independant suspension with wheels attached and then mocking up the engine/trans and additional cross members.

Mocked up the front and rear suspension useing styrene tube at attachment points.

002-3.jpg

003-1.jpg

I'm going to build a wild Jag engine and trans so have set it between the rails to check for position.

005-4.jpg

As soon as my Chris Garcia wire wheels arrive, I'll mount them so I know what the ride height will be. Following that, I'll start with engine/trans mounts and X members.

• 5 months later...

This is another project that I haven't worked on for a while. I'll be honest, I'm kind of tired of the overdone Deuce so I'm trying to make this one a bit different, in particular in that it will be powered by a Jaguar engine. Anyway, the mock up continues and its now to the point where I can put it on wheels and tires.

I'm really happy with the real steel wire wheels from Chris Garcia.

001-5.jpg

002-8.jpg

003-4.jpg

004-5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I need a break from chassis and engine stuff so started some body modifications on the deuce. I used styrene, to be followed with some smear, to fill door hinge, door handle and tail light holes. I also used styrene to build up the reveal around the interior tub. The Duval windshield is mocked up in preparation for minor cowl modifications.

007-5.jpg

006-6.jpg

005-8.jpg

The body mods are done. I've filled the door hinge, door handle, tail light and trunk latch holes and modified the belt line around the top of the interior tub. Minor modifications to the cowl were made in order to fit the Duval style windshield.

002-11.jpg

001-7.jpg

Edited by arick

As I mentioned in a previous post, the TDR IFS does not come with a rack and pinion. Fortunatly, they do produce an accessory R&P kit and I'm useing it here in a rear steer configuration. The front crossmember will have to be modified in order to install the rack.

177.jpg

176.jpg

I built some steering rack brackets and mounted them to the front cross member. They still need to be shaped and molded to the cross member but now I can mount the rack and finish the front end. The positioning of the rack gives me lots of room for the front of the engine.

002-12.jpg

Dan, the tires I'm useing come from the R/M Big Deuce.

I was going through the spare parts box and found this aftermarket 40 Ford dash. Its a perfect fit for the Deuce so I think its found a home. It needs to be smoothed and some gauges but I like it.

006-7.jpg

By the way, I know that I've incorrectly assembled the rack and pinion on this and the Willy's build. Haste makes waste!

Edited by arick

In my haste to put some steering into my Deuce and Willys IFS, I assembled the rack and pinion incorrectly. I've now re-assembled it correctly and also turned the boots in opposite directions to resemble a typical 1:1 application. This one will be used for mock up purposes.

004-7.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I need a break from chassis and engine stuff so started some body modifications on the deuce. I used styrene, to be followed with some smear, to fill door hinge, door handle and tail light holes. I also used styrene to build up the reveal around the interior tub. The Duval windshield is mocked up in preparation for minor cowl modifications.

007-5.jpg

006-6.jpg

005-8.jpg

IS THIS AN EDEUCE WINDSHIELD?

IF SO, DOES IT FIT OK, OR NEED LITTLE OR LOTS OF FITTING?

I'm not sure but I think it came with my Real Steal tin Deuce, which unfortunatly are no longer being made. I think Edeuce did at one time have a Duval style windshield. Whatever the case, very little fitting was required to make this one work.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

• 2 months later...