Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ross Gibson Engines?

• 2 months later...

Thought I would give all you Pontiac fans a heads up.. Ross Gibson engines has released there new Pontiac sd-455 engine.. This is directly from his catalog..

Pontiac SD-455 Super Duty This is the biggest engine from the division that started the greatest years in American automotive history, the Muscle Car era. Pontiac products represented the height of the era with drag racers and muscle car enthusiasts, enjoying fame and creating a legend in movies and popular culture. This engine kit contains all new master parts from the ground up, with all detailing materials included in the kit; spark plug wires, steel fuel lines, rubber vacuum hoses, flexible drive belts and a 4-speed transmission to replicate the engine at the heart of the factory horsepower wars. Includes shaker hood scoop for TransAm and factory air cleaner for the hobbyist who wants to build an HO-455 for a Grand Prix or GTO. This series of engine kits contains detailed instructions to build the engine with accurate firing order, fuel line routing and vacuum hose placement.

Heres a few pictures of one for you..

rge502.jpg

IMG_1955.jpg

IMG_1954.jpg

The few i have here a very nicely cast as with the rest of his line. Some pieces will need a little sanding to get an exact fit but cleanup looks to be minimal. I see very few pin holes that will need to be fixed. This engine is in his master series so it costs a little bit more money but includes belt material, ignition wire, hardline, vacuum line, and a small tree of pe.. Keep on the look out.. Most all of his distributors should have it in stock and ready to ship as you read this.. If you have any questions of want any closeup pics let me know.. Email is generally the best way to contact me sales@scaledreams.com Thanks Rick

Rick, thanks for the news! Since I had owned a 73 and a 74 SD-455 Trans Am I can now build one in scale with the correct engine!

The only problem I have with the art work is that the car shown is not a 73 Trans Am nor a 74 (obviously), but rather a later model H.O. car.

I'd be happy to let him use an image from my car! LOL

73sdshaker-vi.jpg

73sd6-vi.jpg

Chris

As beautiful as his engines are, WHAT scale ARE they? NOT what scale are they SUPPOSED to be. One of the guys tried to put a small block of his inna Vega, but man, the size difference was REALLY obvious. Seems like alot of bucks for something that isn't to ANY scale. For all his hard work and detail, he could have picked a scale that just LOOKED like it fit into both scales better. His small block looked like a big block in that Vega. But the detail was incredible, they REALLY look nice!. Oh, and yeah, I know they're SUPPOSED to be 25th scale.Or 24th. But ARE they?

Great looking kit. Good news that this aftermarket source is coming up with new offerings. Thanks Ricks for the expanded detail pics.

As beautiful as his engines are, WHAT scale ARE they? NOT what scale are they SUPPOSED to be. ... the detail was incredible, they REALLY look nice!. ... I know they're SUPPOSED to be 25th scale.Or 24th. But ARE they?

An important point George. When a whole kit is modeled this becomes a less critical point as long as the model looks right and is correctly proportioned within itself. Aftermarket parts, however, are very critical in this regard, since they will inevitably be used in the context of other models. I've run into this problem with such aftermarket parts as wheels, tires, even distributors and magnetos. Aftermarket parts based on existing kit parts have less of a problem with scale issues, but scratch built parts often seem to suffer from "scale creep" where key dimensions seem to grow. For example tires with inner diameters that are too large so that no kit sourced wheels, 1/24th or 1/25th are quite large enough. Or distributors which, when installed on a kit engine, look too large and are hard to fit in the proper location.

A Ross Gibson engine is on my list of things to build. He offers well detailed and often unique motors so I'm interested in trying my hand at one and incorporating it in a future project. Now, part of what I'll be looking out for is the scale/compatibility issue. Thanx for the Hedz Up!

Edited by gbk1

• 4 months later...

HI Guys.. Ross Gibson engines has released another one of there great engine kits..

MagnaBOSS Supercharged ProMod Ford. The ProMod wars feature combatants like Mustangs and Mercurys, and this huge beast will keep your Ford at the top of the game. An all-new intake manifold and blower drive is featured, along with detailed block, headers and transmission. This engine kit contains detailing materials included in the kit; spark plug wires, braided oil lines, flexible drive belts and photo-etched metal details. This series of engine kits contains detailed instructions to build the engine with accurate firing order, oil line routing and component placement.

rge607.jpg

Sorry I didnt get pics of the engine out of the package.. I just did a once over on the engine as I have been slammed. Overall impression from my quick once over. Engine looks to be on par with all of the other great RGE releases. Cleanly cast in light tan resin and it looks to need very little cleanup other then some light sanding. The casting is very crisp and shows some great details.

The engines are out now and you should be able to pick them up in your favorite hobby shop or online store now..

• 4 months later...

I am working on a 65 Chevelle I alterd the rear wheel wells as I love 60's period drag cars

well everything seems to fit & just got done priming the body don't see any lines ok four coats latter.

I can not find a Big Block Chevy that I like so looked at some Ross Gibson engines the one I'm sort of pulling toward is Rat Trap Great right! WRONG a friend told me these are resin engines NICE!. Ok having said that & not really liking the price I never built a resin engine is this something I should try & are they nice engines?

Thank you

Will,

Well I have made up my mind about these engines & after reading all this I believe I did the right thing. I'm sticking with the BB that comes with the flip noise 57 by model king I got some good prices on them & to me they look real for what I need them for. As far as resin goes I have a bid on a cheap BB to see what it's like I think those R.G. engines are to much. I mean sending parts out to be chrome plated I don't even do that with my real 57 Chevy I buy from Danchuck & I would rather put the money into my real rides. I do love This hobby but find it's getting a little to expensive.

Thank you all for your help I really apreciate it very much!

Will, this

They're nice. And they're expensive.

They're nice, no question about it, but considering the price of new kits nowadays, I don't think they're that expensive. I'd rather spend $20-$25 on a Ross Gibson than spend the same amount on a kit that will never be built just for a donor engine.

They're nice, no question about it, but considering the price of new kits nowadays, I don't think they're that expensive. I'd rather spend $20-$25 on a Ross Gibson than spend the same amount on a kit that will never be built just for a donor engine.

Well, obviously there's no right or wrong answer here. Some people will think that $30 for just an engine is a lot, some will think it's perfectly reasonable. Everyone has to make their own value judgement based on their own financial situation.

I paid around $24.00 with shipping by looking for the best deal on-line.

I tried them because I had no parts supply to draw from at the time and now buy them when a project calls for a motor I do not have. I really like the Revell and Johan Hemi and try to pick them up in kits when I can.

A good friend thinks it is crazy for me to buy aftermarket stuff instead of buying kits. While I think it is crazy to stock pile kits I would never build just to get some parts.

To each his own. :)

Cheap at twice the price!!! :lol: Besides, who else has a McGee quad cam top fuel motor?? Tell me that. I will put mine in a TR7 pro-mod I will be building soon. ;)

I guess there is no right or wrong if one finds $25. for just an engine a good price great. I think it is far cheaper to buy the 57 flip nose off ebay for $10. I can then ether sell the model with no engine as I have done in the past or keep it for other parts I know I will use. It all boils down to my lack of experience in resin not to say I would love to build one, one day but I build only Chevy's so none of the others interest me. I did buy a BB resin engine cheap & will try that first I also thought these came with wires & fuel lines but heard diffrent. So Thank you all for your inputs u were all very helpful.

Thank you

Will,

• 4 years later...

Would anyone have contact info for Ross Gibson Engines? Bought a couple of engines last week, just had a chance to open them up, and I am actually missing the lower half of the block for the 427 SOHC kit, would like to get a hold of them to get a replacement part.

No contact info at all on or in the package.

Would anyone have contact info for Ross Gibson Engines? Bought a couple of engines last week, just had a chance to open them up, and I am actually missing the lower half of the block for the 427 SOHC kit, would like to get a hold of them to get a replacement part.

No contact info at all on or in the package.

Contact the place you bought them from. I can't find any direct contact info anywhere.

• 2 months later...

I picked a couple of Ross Gibson Engines from a trusted online hobby retailer for some projects I have in the works. This is my first time with Ross Gibson engines and I made the purchase based off of reputation and the few finished products that I have seen. I've come to the conclusion that the finished products I saw pictures of must have had a lot of patience and expertise involved in the build.

I am not trying to start trouble here...please don't take my comments that way. I just truely want to know...

What is all of the hype in these engine kits?

In all three kits, the same issues are consistent...sloppy uneven castings, TONS of pin holes, some pieces I didn't even recognize and the lack of understandable instructions to try to decipher what the part is is pretty laughable. And what is up with the tiny photo-etched pieces? It's the same set for all 3 engines.

Now on the flip side, I recently found out that Harold Bradford from Historic Racing Miniatures lives less than 10 minutes from me...after a quick call, I found myself face-to-face with Harold. His castings are beautiful...clean and crisp with no air bubbles thanks to the way he does it under pressure.

So please enlighten me, what makes these kits so desireable for the money?

Edited by BDSchindler

Hi Brian, maybe it's just something we have to do once. I did it once too. I agree with you, thanks too for the tip about where you're happy, a notable comment.

Maybe the engine detailing, like the crank, helps out for a diorama or something that shows some hands on working. I figure for the price of a small bag with lots of parts, I can get a whole kit with a good motor, and tires and wheels and other stuff too.

Greetings,

Michael