Model Cars Magazine Forum

Brand New 65 Mustangs

I didn't get that post. It's perfectly legal to build anything you want. They just don't show the transaction costs for the parts they purchase. Most of those cars have big wallet customers, or in the case of Chip Foose, the owner will have a hefty tax bill when he goes to register it.

EDIT: For the common guy working at home, our Supreme Court has ruled a company in another state (say Dynacorn in CA) doesn't have to collect the sales tax for FL (where I live). On a $15K purchase, that sales tax is

$950. If I have another Mustang titled (say a '65 convertible that was $1000 for a parts car), I paid sales tax already on the car of $70. That's a difference of $880. Can you see why I'd want to transfer the serial numbers? Pull off the useable parts of that one car and make little pieces of custome jewelry out of the rest of it and take the little pieces to the scrap yard.

This is why I mean that this is more about taxes. If you ask the state of Florida to title the car with a state issued VIN, they will want to see all of the receipts or they will assess a value for the car (say it's $50K) and now your tax burden could be $3050. It's all about our Dead Presidents. In most states, they don't care about passing an emissions inspection (except Kalifornia). We have no build restrictions on what we can build. There are some states that have rules regarding stuff like old roadsters (fender requirements). Newer cars don't have to worry about that.

Edited by Swifster

Jeff, let's say I want to deck the block. The machinist cut's some material from the deck. If it's deep enough, these numbers are no longer there. Or maybe I fill those numbers in with weld and remachine it flat. The numbers are gone. Then my machinist stamps the same plant codes and the correct serial number. Like I've said, I've been down that route with those types of numbers. Top it off that once the heads are on, you're covering the numbers with paint.

The casting numbers on the back of the block are also important. If that was going into your Impala, you also want to make sure THOSE numbers are correct. Far easier to screw with stamped numbers than with casting numbers.

Now also understand, I don't advocate this. But I also know it gets done. It's a lot of work and a lot of money. This is why I went 'warranty block'. I wasn't trying to hide that it wasn't the original engine.

Realize that ALL of the numbers are important, including the casting #s, that's why I said this below...if someone is really wanting to spend BIG $$$ on an all-original car, the first thing you want to be sure of is that the originally installed engine is still there. Full owner history & documentation is important too.

I myself would rather build a beast from a rust-free base car, then you can drive it without worrying about destroying an original car...they're only original once!

This at least tells you if the engine is original to the car...then the decoding continues...

A company in Australia http://www.clasicspeedinc.com/ offer brand new 1964 - 66 Mustangs for sale, turn key for $100,000ausd up to $250,000ausd for a Shelby GT350 clone. The show room is in Sydney and the cars are made in the Phillipines of all places.

SPAM!!! And I hate Porsches....

EDIT: Andy's webpage is wrong. Classic Speed is here ---> http://www.classicspeedinc.com/index.cmc . They take YOUR Mustang and rebuild/restore it. Plus you have to ship it out of the country.

Edited by Swifster

Ununited States, huh?

But if this was built using a new shell with a new VIN, wouldn't it have to meet current federal specifications?

And even if the car can be registered in -say- Michigan, could you sell it on to -say- California, without the new owner there running into trouble?

It would only have to meet specifications in certain states or areas of states. I have an S10 with air ride suspension. It did not have to be inspected after it was air bagged. However, it does have an altered frame so, it can only change hands between private owners and not dealers. Then again, when dealers get their hands on these types of vehicles, they privately register them and sell them to get around it.

As far as California goes, they have crazy restrictions there. And I don't even wanna talk about CARB.

On a side note, I think this discussion has brought out an idea...at least to me it has. Since we have so many car and truck related shows on Speed and Spike,and now Top Gear USA (which is rubbish compared to Jeremy and the boys), one of them should step up to the plate and do an episdode on legal registration of vehicles in these scenarios. Maybe not state specific but, general rules.

Edited by Skydime

It would only have to meet specifications in certain states or areas of states. I have an S10 with air ride suspension. It did not have to be inspected after it was air bagged.

Yes, you modified a used S10, which had already been modified, plus, the S10 is a truck, for which afaik the specs are less stringent than for passenger cars to begin with.

However, my question was to build a 1968 spec Mustang from new parts, then register it as a 2011 car. This would be impossible over here. However, if you'd use a 1968 VIN and papers from a 1968 car, it wouldn't be a problem at all, since it only needs to comply with the specifications which were valid in 1968.

Pretty much all newly built hot rods over here run on vintage paperwork. A brand new state-of-the-art 32 Deuce could be registered as a modfied 1951 Ford Popular for example.

Yes, you modified a used S10, which had already been modified, plus, the S10 is a truck, for which afaik the specs are less stringent than for passenger cars to begin with.

However, my question was to build a 1968 spec Mustang from new parts, then register it as a 2011 car. This would be impossible over here. However, if you'd use a 1968 VIN and papers from a 1968 car, it wouldn't be a problem at all, since it only needs to comply with the specifications which were valid in 1968.

Pretty much all newly built hot rods over here run on vintage paperwork. A brand new state-of-the-art 32 Deuce could be registered as a modfied 1951 Ford Popular for example.

If a title is lost, or a serial number was missing from the car, the state may still register the car as a 2011. The body shell is a part. It's up to the owner to comply with the necessary rules of his state. The Feds don't care about a guy building a car in his garage, or even a small manufacturer building a small production run. How can someone prove the crash worthiness of his car without crashing it first?

I'm not sure how many it takes to cross a line with the Feds. It might be 100 cars, or it might be 1000. I can't remember. But a guy building his own car is exempt. Most states will title the car based on the year it most resembles (1968?). Build a '32 Ford and it's exempt from the seat belt law.

A body shell is just a part. The US government doesn't care how the car is titled. The rules set forth by Congree only apply to GM, Ford, Chrysler and the foreign ###### (think Toyota). I can build a car out of wood and be legal. Some states require a vehicle pass a safety inspection before it can be registered. And it has to pass for the year of the car. A '68 Mustang is still a '68 Mustang even if made in 2011.

Let's use another example. The Lotus Super 7. It was never sold (turnkey) here in the states. It would never pass a crash test or emissions testing. But sell it as a kit, and it doesn't have to meet those requirements. Ford all the fiberglass Cobra kit cars on the road, I doubt any would pass a crash test. It doesn't have to. It's not a car until it's assembled.

Edited by Swifster

I also think it was mentioned earlier that this car is sold with a new VIN which would make it capable of being registered. Internationally, I have no clue what the specs, laws and regulations are. I was just pointing out that if I can cut my frame in half and redo a vehicle legally, in the US, then there should be no reason that a vehicle being sold in an unassembled condition could not be registered. Kits are fairly common so, these Mustangs should be as easy as any other kit car to get on the road.

Edited by Skydime