Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 Revell '85 Camaro Z/28

• 2 weeks later...

I was in the hobby shop last night and picked up this kit. I have never owned this kit before but I do know that it used to be a snap kit. Upon opening the box this is what your greeted with. IMG129.jpg

Looking the parts over there is very little flash and I found only one sink mark which was on the roof that needs to be filled. I did some pre-assembly to check out a few things the parts fit well together with the exception of the hood to the body.

IMG131.jpg

As you can see the hood was a little warped but it is easily fixed.

Over all I give this kit a B+ it will be a fast fun build. the reason it only got a B+ are #1 I think revell should of offered a second set of Z28 decals in another color. #2 I think the tires are a bit undersized IMG132.jpg tomorrow I'm

going to measure the distance from the tire to wheel well on my third gen to see how far off.

lastly the part count brings down the overall grade.

One last opinion this would be a great kit for the young model builder who wants to move up from snap kits. This is exactly what I'm going to do with my gf's son.

For awhile there this generation was missing from the shelves. You could buy a 1st.,2nd.,4th. & 5th. Revell brought this kit back to fill the gap and I am very glad they did!

One last opinion this would be a great kit for the young model builder who wants to move up from snap kits. This is exactly what I'm going to do with my gf's son.

Bingo. It's half a step above a Revell SnapTite kit, but half a step below a Monogram Basic Builder kit.

Are the brown/gold stripes again the only colors offered?

Bingo. It's half a step above a Revell SnapTite kit, but half a step below a Monogram Basic Builder kit.

Are the brown/gold stripes again the only colors offered?

I remember a black Z28 around here with gold stripes and that light golden-brown interior. Very sharp car.

I think I might build mine like that.

Charlie Larkin

For 6 years I owned an 86 IROC with a 350 and TPI. Also was a manual with T-tops. I was told it was not a common car back then. Sold it to my brother who had it 3 years then he sold it to some Portuguese guy who owns it to this day. If I go home to New Bedford and it's a sunny day it will be out in his carport. That dark blue paint looks like the day I got it and I think it's wearing the second set of tires my brother bought for it.

I did the chip thing for it but that is the only mod I ever did to it. My guess is it has less than 100,000 on it.

Bob

This one?:

Neat..don't think I've ever seen that kit. I did build the Revell '82 Firebird S/E kit as a kid, was molded in a dark brick red. Probably a similar kit to this.

I like the MPC (later AMT) '82-92 kits, and also have the AMT '82 that was reissued in the last decade.

Edited by Rob Hall

• 1 year later...

This kit is a mixture of good and not so good.It's a typical mid 80s Monogram kit-simplified front suspension,engine compartment molded as an insert to the body,the upper engine/trans done in multiple pieces(two block halves and the heads/intake manifold done as a single unit) that are to be installed on the lower section of the engine trans which is molded to the chassis.

The biggest problem is one of detail accuracy in a few areas.One,the air cleaner assembly is a dual snorkel piece used only on the L69 H.O engine but the exhaust depicts the standard 305 engine system(different sized pipes,catalytic converter,and muffler).If this kit is truly supposed to represent an H.O. engined car then the rear fascia is lacking the badge for that engine.There are no "5.0 H.O" decals on the decal sheet either.

The interior has one major flaw-incorrect front seats.The kit's seats are the Lear Siegler seats that were optional only in 1982 and 1983 in the Z-28 and dropped after that.I think the kit was partially updated from an earlier year release.

The decal sheet includes the "Camaro" panels that were on the Lear Siegler seats.The body side striping is in colors that were only used on the color that the box art model is painted( a kind of metallic kiln red) so they're useless for accuracy for any other body color.

The kit is best used as a basis for a street machine or drag car project where parts will be swapped and factory stock accuracy isn't important or with some major cutting and parts swapping a more accurate stock Z-28 or even an IROC-Z could be built.The seats can be used in the Buick Grand National kit-they were optional on that car in 1984.

• 4 years later...
On 10/23/2012 at 10:09 PM, mnwildpunk said:

I think the tires are a bit undersized  

The sock tire size is P215/65R15, and the Monogram Goodyear GT Radial tires have P255/60R15 on the sidewalls, so they are actually a bit wider and have a smaller aspect ratio than the stock tires.

Here's a pic of the original issue of the '85, though it was labelled as "Z-28 E CAMARO":

5beaf496b8931_Mono85CamaroZ281(1).jpg.baac05aa893b4366b34e64c12b5b6651.jpg

And as a SnapTite kit from 1991, though it's the exact same kit as the kit shown above:

Mono85CamaroZ28snap.jpg

There was also the Motorworks release:

b8e70740-b7f4-4352-91c9-1bb135da4d1d.jpg

aagh, the good ole days.   I had a black/gold  83 ta with the crossfire engine, w? suspension pkg, and 6 way adj drivers seat, not fast but the girls liked the sorta "bandit" car;) then a 86 z-28 with 305  carbed engine-it was a real turd-I removed all the smog BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH, put on a holley carb, true duals-no cat-still a turd so in went a 350.  in 87 when gm offered 3rd gen Camaros as convertibles I had to have one but couldn't afford it so out came the sawsall and with a junkyard convertible frame made my own. ended up having to sell it to get an engine for wife's car, but then later got a steal of a deal on a black 92 25th anniversary heritage edition z convertible with a 350 tpi-that car RIPPED as many young lads in their mustangs found out:D.  lost the car as part of a messy divorce(wifey's and cars) :angry:so fast forward to 2015-finally had the means to go find another 92 like I had-NONE were for sale in us-did find a ta similiarly equipped but it was metallic orange so I passed-still looking for a z...