Model Cars Magazine Forum

Peterbilt Drag Truck vs. The Double Dozen KW Stingray

I drug out my old pete drag truck for a rebuild, that turned into an overhaul. Actually, most of the original kit didnt get reused. So much for a rebuild !! Anyhow, I decided to stretch it out, lower the body, and add two Allison V12s behind the cab. I started by taking some measurements,and scratchbuilding a whole new chassis.I used the rear axles and air ride from a Pete 378 kit.

p1.jpg

p3.jpg

p4.jpg

I started stretching out the body, but still using most of the kit at this point.

p5.jpg

I was quickly unsatisfied with this, so I build a new rear section still using the kit rear fenders. I bought a Jimmy Flintstone chopped resin Pete cab, and narrowed the hood to a 351 style. I replaced the front fenders and sunk them futher up into the hood.

p14.jpg

p13.jpg

After much Allison applied drag racing research, I started putting them together. I joined them crank to crank with a collar. I wanted almost a direct drive to the rear ends, with only a short driveshaft. I made the motor mounts and got them mocked up. The body is 90% complete. Then, lots of sanding and blending.

dt1.jpeg

dt2.jpeg

dt3.jpeg

dt4.jpeg

Edited by Superpeterbilt

• 2 weeks later...

Your truck is very cool already, it reminds me the Super Boss and Bandag Bandit era!!

Can't wait to see more!

Thanks. Tyrones trucks are definitley an inspiration here. I was actually reading an article on a truck called the " Bad Brahma Bull", an old White 3000 coe with an Allison engine mounted behind the cab. That kinda got the gears turnin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...