Model Cars Magazine Forum

Started First Build in 35 Years

Hello Group,

I've been inspired with all of these great build going on and have picked up a few Retro Deluxe AMT kits from Round 2. The kit I choose for my first build after 35 years is the White Freight Liner Retro Deluxe AMT kit from Round 2. I'm taking my time with this build as it's bringing back a lot of great memories :) Ever since day one I've always done the build in sheet order, so I've started on the engine first and when I get a little more done I'll try to upload a few progress shots.

post-9794-0-42892100-1342483860_thumb.jp

rich, nice one to build follow the steps you make

tip sometimes the wheels standing to far wide out

[front] if you keep the backingplate,s away than looks better

than are the frontwheels stay in side the cab fender

i hope its help

jacobus

Rich,

Glad to see ya get rollin',same thing happened to me here,I was just a watcher and got the bug again.....I see you got the Cummis together,felt good didn't it after all those years,enjoy and I will be following this one....

Hi Mike,

Watching all of these great builds, I just had to get my feet wet again :) So off to the hobby shop I went and picked up a couple of the Retro AMT truck models. Working on the kit and listening to the radio just like I did so many years ago, is bringing back a lot of fond memories. Progress has been a little slow because of my work schedule and the heat. I'll be sure to upload progress shots to keep everyone posted.

rich, nice one to build follow the steps you make

tip sometimes the wheels standing to far wide out

[front] if you keep the backingplate,s away than looks better

than are the frontwheels stay in side the cab fender

i hope its help

jacobus

Hi Jacobus,

Thank you for the tip on the front axle :)

Hi Mike,

Watching all of these great builds, I just had to get my feet wet again :) So off to the hobby shop I went and picked up a couple of the Retro AMT truck models. Working on the kit and listening to the radio just like I did so many years ago, is bringing back a lot of fond memories. Progress has been a little slow because of my work schedule and the heat. I'll be sure to upload progress shots to keep everyone posted.

Rich,

I know exactly what ya mean,I got the music playin' also,I even remember some of the cussin' and fussin' too :lol: ,the only thing missing for me like the old days was the smokes which I quit many years ago.......my progress is really slow to due to my work and being a single dad with the bestest daughter in da' world,in fact she got me the Freightliner kit for me this past Christmas...

what do you plan on for the paint sceme?

Hi Frank,

I've been thinking about going with a modified Los Angles paint scheme. Using the colors from the Los Angles paint scheme, but the striping from the Texarkana scheme.

Rich,

I know exactly what ya mean,I got the music playin' also,I even remember some of the cussin' and fussin' too :lol: ,the only thing missing for me like the old days was the smokes which I quit many years ago.......my progress is really slow to due to my work and being a single dad with the bestest daughter in da' world,in fact she got me the Freightliner kit for me this past Christmas...

Hi Mike,

Yes your daughter comes first, then we all have to support our habits (eating and building truck kits :D ) so we need to work ;) That is really nice your daughter got you the freightliner kit for Christmas. My daughter (who is a grown woman now, man does time fly) usually tries to get me something hobby related for birthdays, fathers day and Christmas as well. Yes, the good old days of soft drink cans as ash trays, your favorite music on the radio and the smell of model glue and paint in the air :D

Putty works good i glued thin strips of sheet to the inside used them to help line up worked well I love your little line about pruitt its so true B)

Hi Donavon, that line is actually the closing line from one of my favorite singer / story teller's song. The artist is Bill Fries, aka C.W. McCall and the line is from "Round the World with the Rubber Duck" off the Rubber Duck album. Being a hugh C.W.McCall fan, I just about wore out every album from the first, "Wolf Creek Pass" through "Rubber Duck" I never did get "Roses for Mama" or "C.W. McCall and Co.", but did pick up the singles "Roses For Mama" and "The Gallopin' Goose". Anyway back on topic, here are a few more progress shots, still working on the engine :)

DSCN0167.jpg

DSCN0168.jpg

The old eyes aren't as good as they use to be, I didn't realize until I posted the photo about of just how much flash was still on the bottom of the oil cooler and exhaust :wub: I guess it's like my dad use to say, "it's nothing a man on a galloping horse would notice" :D

Edited by Rich_S

Hi Donavon, that line is actually the closing line from one of my favorite singer / story teller's song. The artist is Bill Fries, aka C.W. McCall and the line is from "Round the World with the Rubber Duck" off the Rubber Duck album. Being a hugh C.W.McCall fan, I just about wore out every album from the first, "Wolf Creek Pass" through "Rubber Duck" I never did get "Roses for Mama" or "C.W. McCall and Co.", but did pick up the singles "Roses For Mama" and "The Gallopin' Goose". Anyway back on topic, here are a few more progress shots, still working on the engine :)

The old eyes aren't as good as they use to be, I didn't realize until I posted the photo about of just how much flash was still on the bottom of the oil cooler and exhaust :wub: I guess it's like my dad use to say, "it's nothing a man on a galloping horse would notice" :D

Rich,

The engine looks great,like the plumbing work too,as far as the flash it does seem more noticeable from the picture because the camera has to intensify it 10 times :lol: where as on the kit it doesn't show as bad,but I know what you mean about the eyes <_< I have to use reading glasses to do the work......C.W. McCall now theres music ya don't hear much anymore unless you have my usb junk drive,I too love singer/Mayor Bill "C.W. McCall" Fries,the real Rubber Duck,can't forget tunes like "Night Rider" "Rachet Jaw" or "Classified"......oh are you gonna install a chromium-plated, fully-illuminated genuine accessory shift knob on the Freightliner??.............I am enjoying this build!!!

rich a couple of months ago buying this for the white freightliner update from cheg very nice stuff

only you must have very little fingers ore tweezers and good eyes [i work whit a readingglass now]

lhere some pictures

S6300518.jpgS6300521.jpg

......oh are you gonna install a chromium-plated, fully-illuminated genuine accessory shift knob on the Freightliner??

No I can't because last night "I lost a C note in Reno off of Keno and Craps And now smoky's on the overpass a settin' his traps"but that's OK because "I drive a big Freightliner and I make the last payment today" Yes, Red Sovine is another one of my favorites. It's funny how many miles I actually drove a Freightiner cabover listening to that song :) and yes "I've been to the end of the world and back with a wheel an' a stick in my hand I've passed the test, an' I've done my best, I've trucked all over this land"

rich a couple of months ago buying this for the white freightliner update from cheg very nice stuff

only you must have very little fingers ore tweezers and good eyes [i work whit a readingglass now]

lhere some pictures

Hi Jacobus,

I didn't realize just how many after market parts are available for the AMT White Freightliner kit. This one I'm going to keep pretty much box stock, but maybe the next one I might have to try out a few of those updates. Thanks for posting the pictures of the parts.

That freightliner is on my list again, I tried to build it once before when I was still pretty new at it, and that cab gave me a lot of troubles.

Must say, your Old Gold Cummins looks pretty nice!

Thanks for the compliments Karak. I think it's a nice kit, just take your time and test fit everything before gluing.

rich what you thinking of ,give my 40 acres and i turn this rig arround

have a hold bunch of old records from many years ago[red sovine,dick curless,red simpson,cw mccall etc]

love country and the truckersongs thats what the called

jacobus

Hi Jacobus,

Yes, those are the classic artist, Red Sovine - Freightliner Fever / Teddy Bear / Phantom 309, Dick Curless - Tombstone Every Mile, Jimmy Martin- Widow Maker, Red Simpson - I'm a Truck / Diesel Smoke Dangerous Curves and one of my personal favorites Dave Dudley - Six Days on the Road. I live 20 miles Northwest of Pittsburgh, PA, so I have literally pulled out of Pittsburgh and rolled down the Eastern Seaboard :) And the newer stuff is pretty good too like Alabama- Roll On 18 Wheeler, Merle Haggard - Theme from 'Movin On', Ronnie Milsap - Prisoner of the highway, Jason Aldean - Asphalt Cowboy. The list just goes on and on :)

lhere some pictures

S6300518.jpgS6300521.jpg

Jacobus, Where can I find the photo etch kits pictured above?