Model Cars Magazine Forum

Styrene storage, if anyone can use this

Since I discovered Evergreen and Plastruct, I have kept plenty of it around at all times. Keeping it organized soon became an issue. I made myself a little caddy to hold all of my plastic, but quickly outgrew it. I made a few more, and took a few pics in case it can help someone else out. The best part part is the price, free! Hopefully it will be free to you to. Anywhoo, its not very high tech, just some cut cardboard shipping tube glued to a piece of wood. It gets the job done though. Here it is.

I had some scrap 1X4 and a 4" shipping tube. I cut some strips of cardboard the size of the wood to cover it.

A014B9D9-C802-4146-9982-3C8A3845C827_zps

I added some wood glue and stuck on the cardboard

4EAB15C4-63F1-4739-8BD8-55479D1A81FE_zps

I cut the tube to various lengths

AB67531F-1C94-48C8-991C-A8ED9B5D76AD_zps

Then I glued each cut tube to the cardboard, running a strip of glue down the size of each tube.

067555A0-5899-4819-A0D0-434AD32B5C2B_zps

Done

A59D6D61-04F1-4019-8047-898E1C3601B1_zps

When this dries, it will be rock solid. I had some rectangle tube, so I made a 2nd one with that.

30969FFB-6B70-4D68-AE9A-C8FFE2A85052_zps

F7BF0AE0-41A9-4848-A2A9-A99C5DB93A30_zps

These really help me stay organized, I hope it can help you too.

that's very cool, good idea. love to see these ideas to try to improve bench organization. as of now, I keep mine in the packages, sort them out by round, square, flat and misl and they label a Pringles container and stuff the packages in the containers, the package sticks out of the Pringles can far enough that I can see the label and I just keep them on the bench.

Edited by tubbs

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing a very effective and easily dulpicated method for organizing our styrene.I leave mine in the packages as well that way if I'm photographing and maing notes for a tutorial I can reference the manufctuurer,part number and size being used for a particular photo.

Hi Gang,

Though I don't have any photos, my father-in-law took some peg boa4d and wood and made me a simple yet very effective storage system for my Evergreen

strip,rod and tube stock. The peg board was rectangular, about 3' x 5'. He got "fancy" and routed a groove for the peg board to sit in and rounded over the outside edges. I used peg board hangers from the hardware store and organized the stock by size such 0.010, 0.015, 0.020, etc... Sadly they were mounted to the wall and we left them for the folks that bought the house when we moved.

David

Edited by hooknladderno1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...