Model Cars Magazine Forum

Garage Dio

dannyi

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks Greg and decsgarages, it's a bummer when life sneaks in and interrupts things for sure but we're getting settled in now and I hope to get back in the grove here soon. Decsgarages, we just got back from your neck of the woods this past Saturday. My daughter got married in Galway. We stayed in some really nice cottage's just outside of Oughterard. First time in Ireland and loved it! Didn't get as much play time as I'd hoped, and was unable to make it to Dublin, but look forward to it next time I'm there.

Hey Danny,

That's an awesome dio!. It looks so real in the pics untill you realise the background is your workbench!!

You've got a lot of talent inside you.

And you went to Galway? Lucky bugger!

My ancestors came from there - and I'd love to see the place for myself, but it's a long walk - and swim!!

Nice work, you make it real.

James.

..thnaks James, I hope someday you get to go to Galway, it was a great experience, and for you it would be even more so I'm sure.

...thanks Mark, I can't wait to get back into to this again!

...thanks Bradley, your guess was correct. I built model cars till I got to high school, then I turned my interests to more important issues like girls and muscle cars. After I got married I started into model railroading, did that for about 10 years or so. Every now and then I get the urge to break out the RR stuff but don't, having too much fun with this again!..lol

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

..got a small up date....because I wasn't able to find the light shades I wanted, decided to make my own.

025-Copy.jpg

023-Copy.jpg

..it's a scale 16" industrial light shade used a lot in factories and warehouses. It's based on the popular Ivanhoe shades of the day. Since I need between 9 and 12 of these, I'm making a mold for it. Once the lighting is figured out I can get the ceiling and upper floor done.

• 2 weeks later...

...well I finally got the molds made and so far so good on the copies. Plan is to wire up a couple and see how they look, then decide on how many to use. Once these are in place I can start on the ceiling joists and upper flooring. These light shades have inspired me to get back at this.....

Dannyl, I'm new here on this forum but I have to say, after looking at your work, especially the brickwork, I am TOTALLY impressed.

Do you use a Sherline? Or which brand? I ask only because your light shades seem like you started with a big workpiece...

Carry on!

...thanks Roger, I have Taig lathe and I'm very happy with it. I'm still working with it and have a lot to learn. It's one of the best tool investments I've ever made.

..the work piece I used for the lamps is a 3/4" resin plug or round stock I guess you'd call it. I made a mold of different size wood dowels and make these plugs as I need them.

900.jpg

A 3/4" dowel is about 18"s in 1/25 scale. After some research on the light shades it looks like the 16" was the most common, so that's the size of the ones I made.