Model Cars Magazine Forum

'67 Chevelle SS 396 (Under Glass ***3-May-2015***)

taaron76

nice work on the engine.

on future builds the PCV hose should be connected from the valve cover to the intake manifold or at the very base of the front or rear of the carb.

Mike, I'd agree with you, but based off of the reference pics I used for the 396, it has a vacuum line running from the passenger side of the carb all the way around to the drivers side valve cover. I also ran a vacuum line from the passenger side valve cover to the rear of the manifold, but you probably can't see it. If you are referring to the placement of the vacuum hose on the carb, well, you don't really have a lot of room to work with and that was the only feasible place to put it. Fortunately, the breather is going to hide most of it.

Here is one of my reference pics.

276671-1000-0.jpg?rev=3

sucp_0105_02_z%2B1967_chevy_chevelle_ss_

47231-500-0.jpg?rev=2

Edited by taaron76

I see your point based on your reference pix, I believe (based on my experience with carbs and manifolds) that the one reference pic that leads you to connect it to the side of the carb is misleading due to the clutter and lack of zoom on the photo.

I say this because I have encountered a few Holley carbs and have never seen or touched one that had the large vacuum port for the PCV on the side or bottom-side of the carb.

What I gathered from the (culprit) reference pic is that the PCV hose wraps around the carb to a port in the intake manifold right behind the rear corner of the carb.

PCV valves need to have manifold vacuum that is common to both planes of the intake (in cases where the intake is dual-plane) so that any vapors from the crank case get fed to all cylinder banks equally.

Tim, this is gorgeous model so far, love the added suspension details, the paint is gorgeous, and the engine details are just right! It's nice to see someone other than myself using a switching diode for a fuel filter, I though I was all alone with those!

That donk is looking grand in my opinion dude.

Also here is the site I found which is a massive help with chevelle reference: http://chevellestuff.net/1967/index.htm

Thanks for that! Lots of great reference info.

Tim

I recently discovered this myself as I put way too much work into fabricating fuel lines and a filter. Engine looks good Tim.

Something just make sense to purchase, and this is one of them. Thanks, Joe!

Tim

Just a small update... been hectic around here lately.

I ran the brake line to the rear and the initial cabling for the e-brake. Still pondering how/if I'm going to run the fuel lines. This chassis is difficult to find the natural path the factory would use, so I might have to make my own route and live with it. It's not perfect, but its my first try at running these lines.

Tim

ChassisAC1-vi.jpg

Spectacular! I'm learning a lot watching this.... :)

You and me both! lol I have the application down, its just finding the right parts to make it look realistic... that's why I said it won't be perfect, but it is a great learning experience. Now that I know, I would have ran the fuel and brake lines before mounting the rear suspension, but I'll take it this go round. Thanks!

Tim

Mike, I discovered them around 1996, since I work in the electronics field, I'm always finding goodies to use on models!

Tim, what are you using for the e-brake lines?

I recently discovered a very small braided line at Michael's called Beadalon.

JW15S-1_L.jpg

Tim

Tim, I've got one that's even better than the Beadalon, but you've gotta search for it from an Electronics supplier. It's a tiny coaxial cable (like your cable TV coax but much smaller), the part number is RG-174/U, and once you slice the jacketing, you have actual braided wire...and it even fits Detail Master's fittings pretty well! So far I've only used it once, but I'm hooked on it for radiator hoses! There's a coax that's even smaller that will work great for fuel lines, but I don't have the number for it yet....

ToneysTributeTruck248-vi.jpg

ToneysTributeTruck437-vi.jpg

ToneysTributeTruck538-vi.jpg

Tim, I've got one that's even better than the Beadalon, but you've gotta search for it from an Electronics supplier. It's a tiny coaxial cable (like your cable TV coax but much smaller), the part number is RG-174/U, and once you slice the jacketing, you have actual braided wire...and it even fits Detail Master's fittings pretty well! So far I've only used it once, but I'm hooked on it for radiator hoses! There's a coax that's even smaller that will work great for fuel lines, but I don't have the number for it yet....

ToneysTributeTruck248-vi.jpg

ToneysTributeTruck437-vi.jpg

ToneysTributeTruck538-vi.jpg

That's look pretty slick, Mike! I've been searching for an electronics store in my area, but haven't had any luck. That looks great! Where did you get the couplings at?

tim