Model Cars Magazine Forum

2013 Cannonball Run CBP

Nick Winter

I'm gonna keep this post short it's not a big update but it's a big step forward for the car. Got the wheel wells cut out and made some mounts to set the body on the frame.

Post7Pic5_zps2a2a76c9.jpg

The next update will be a mock up of what it will roughly look like when it's done.

Nice progress for quite a few. Not much to notice on my camaro, still doing bodywork, hoping for a primer-shot this week, to be able to finish bodywork and subframe. Too few hours in a day...

Keep up the good work pps!

awesome work on everyone's builds, lookin to be some stiff competition. my superbee is unfortunately stalled right now while i move to a different apartment but lookin to be back up and at it in a couple weeks. i'll do my best to get some final
(for now) progress pics up tomorrow in case anyone is interested.

keep up the great work everyone.

Just letting you guys know Im still around. Just had my head up real tailpipes the last while.

Man there are some skilled builders on this site! A lot of the builds on this thread are very very cool!! Hope I can keep up.

Hmm...............

2013-05-07182851_zps65c5da53.jpg

The plans so far. Low. Fast. Fiery Orange. Hemi decals of some sort. Daytona/Superbird rear wing (modified). More soon. I need to figure out ride height and engine clearance.

I will say this though. If I take this build to contest, it certainly won't be on a mirror. What passes for a chassis is quite laughable, that fills only about 75% of the space as seen from the bottom.

My Cougar is rear finished and I have decided that my Cannonballer needs to be next out of the gate. My crack fabricators Krass and Bernie, are clearing a spot in the garage right now

Krass & Bernie?!? i didn't know we were allowed professional help :D

Krass & Bernie?!? i didn't know we were allowed professional help :D

Well I wouldn't call them professional, and after CarToons folded up, these guys hit some hard times. I found them panhandling here in Tampa with signs that said, "Will customize for food." So I offered them the room above my garage and they were pretty happy with that. They are sending resume's in to Chip Foose and Troy Trepanier but so far no bites. Jesse James showed some interest but they didn't want to work for someone with so little class. So until they find something better, they work for me. :) On the downside though - we need to talk about hygiene. :unsure:

Well gang without a complete chassis rebuild, this is as low as it will go. It needs to be a wheel/tire that will fill the wheel well or else you can see clear across to the other side. So a smaller wheel is out. It will get me lower but leave a large gap at the top of the wheel. This is unfortunately a 1/24 scale kit. I do not want to hack up the chassis and make this a major project. I want an uncomplicated build this time.

Opinions please. Remember this car was not low slung like modern Ferraris. Also there is a front valence panel that goes up front so it will not look like that when completed. Whatcha think? An acceptable ride height?

2013-05-10181156_zps42ca147e.jpg

2013-05-10181208_zps54847cbc.jpg

2013-05-10181232_zps02b90ead.jpg

In front you are quite right. But it has Corvette rear suspension and drivetrain. And right now the rear axles are darn near on the frame. Im not the kind of builder who can jury rig the axles to get my desired ride height. Its got to look mechanically possible. Thanks for the opinions. I will call it good and press on.

Since I already started with sometrash talk I figure I might as well jump in with a build. I'll be running this years Cannonball in a.........wait for it...........Mid 70's Datsun pick up. I think its a 77, the kit doesn't say. I built this kit years ago when it was a current issue, 1979, and it was a total glue bomb. This one should turn out a little better. I managed to have a good friend sniper this one off ebay for me a few weeks ago.

001-43_zps2534e47d.jpg