Model Cars Magazine Forum

2015 Mustang FUNNY CAR "Frankenstein" - New Pics 7-24

Codi

Hi Bob, this car is being set aside for the time being as I have so much time and effort already expended on the Henry J that I'm picking that one back up so I can have it completed sometime next year. The last couple of weeks I've been spending time trying to learn how to mill as I mentioned in the Henry J thread and it IS time consuming (at least for me as a beginner) there is SO much to learn. I had a healthy respect for machinists before I even bought the Sherline, but for sure, I've come to appeciate their skills even more so if that's possible.

Thanks for asking and following along on my builds.

Cheers, Tim

• 8 months later...

Raining cats and dogs today and wanted a change of pace...so I dug him up (get it?) and worked on the hood and nose today. The nose was never to my liking and was shapeless. The hood was too high so I took it down for a better profile. The front end was an inspiration from Tyrones recent mustang 10.5 outlaw car. I made it more angular and picked up the angles from the headlight "eyebrows". This one is just like my Henry in that I put it away for 8 months or so and started hacking at it just for giggles. It's starting to grow on me. Comments always welcome. Cheers, Tim

5MustangPromodFrankenstein6013-vi.jpg

5MustangPromodFrankenstein6044-vi.jpg

5MustangPromodFrankenstein6049-vi.jpg

Appreciate ALL of your comments on this "beast".

Tyrone, completely agree, it does look much more aggressive and integrated. The one area I want to change yet is the front end.......specifically the wheel opening shape and size and narrowing the actual width of the front end too reshaping the front wheel flares /lip. The hood scoop needs to be shortened at somepoint so it fits up against the windshield. But you get the idea.

Len - yeah, after cutting and soldering and machining metal, it was nice to just hack up and work with plastic. Simple and quick. The whole thing took me about 90 minutes to effect. Granted, there is a LOT of bodywork refinement that needs to be done, but the bones are getting better on him.

Cheers

That's one awesome looking car, Man.....I don't, usually, come over to this section......More of a big rig modeler, but I build race trailers and the idea of a beautiful drag body like this one, really sparks my interest......I need to build one for my latest race rig......Thanks for this idea....Very nice work on this.....I love it......

It would look so good inside this thing...... http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=102333

Edited by kilrathy10

• 3 weeks later...

Continued working on the Mustang which might become a modern funny car instead of a promod.  Anyways, it's getting closer each time I putty and prime it. comments welcome. cheers, tim

2015 Mustang Frankenstein 5 045

2015 Mustang Frankenstein 5 064

2015 Mustang Frankenstein 5 031

I hope that tool shows up soon as it seems that idle hands are the work of the devil so I keep hacking on Frankenstein.  I made the decision to make it into a modern funny car instead of a promod afterall.  Never made one so I thought it would be a fun build at somepoint.  The valance / rocker panel was revised and yet it is still 1/8" too short so I'll have to fix that.  The big challenge is the roof. It's a mess now but it's on. I have to make the rounded tapered back as close to the way the big boys do them.  I'm considering brass possibly to do those sides.  Have to see as I go along.  I had the car in a "good place" to be a promod but I just couldn't help myself.  It's only plastic right?   Cheers, Tim

2015 Mustang FUNNY CAR 013

2015 Mustang FUNNY CAR 005

2015 Mustang FUNNY CAR 034