Model Cars Magazine Forum

Real Or Model #14 Finished!

Real or model?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Real or Model?

• Real
    • Model

ok, my first one and i say real. reason; super detail. chromed allen head bolts holding the backing plate on. lug nuts and studs. holes in the header flange. this would be an awesome scale '32 ford but, wait. the firewall is homemade (flushed to the body). probably did not have a firewall or wanted more footroom. the radiator support rod brackets are missing and the rods are simply welded to the firewall and then the welds primered over. common solution. my reasoning is that if this was a super detailed model, the rods would have had more thought put into them. nice ride.

Those lug nuts look way to shallow to be real to me. Those appear to be some of the thinnest lug nuts I have ever seen on a car, IF this is real. From the photo, it looks like there's hardley any "thread area" to the nuts, and not much "side depth" at all for a socket or lug wrench to "bite" into. Also the studs appear to be exactly the same brassy gold tone as the nuts. Sure looks to me like more brass micro hardware that's been utilized here.

Now that's the way to play this game! You're exactly right.

It's ironic that the one detail that probably convinced a lot of you that this was a real car is the same detail that gives it away as a model. Would brass ever be used for studs and lug nuts on a real car???

Close vote, though. A lot of you were fooled, but it's a model!

Next ROM MONDAY!

Edited by harrypri

I've gotten pretty good at these things; but it took me awhile to come up w/my own answer. I tried looking away from the details like the lugnuts and engine wiring/plumbing, and at some of the basic parts. Eventually I realized the tires looked like kit pieces; the whitewall definitely looked like an insert (and inserted a bit too deep inside the tire), the backside of the tire looked simplified, the camber in the front looked odd...and the halo around the numbers made me think they were stickers/decals, in 1:1 scale that halo would likely be invisible. This was a good one...the engine and a lot of details really make it look real. This one was a lot harder for me than most of the previous ones.

Wow, You got me this time! I have been saving the pics on my Mac and taking closer looks at them there. I was too impatient this time! That Indy car was another tough one, but I could research that one. This is 1/8th scale, isn't it?

Yep...this is the Monogram Big Deuce.