Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram Classic Crusier 37 Ford Sedan

DRG

I bought this kits several weeks ago but just opened it and took a look.

I am impressed and will get a few lore of these.

Perhaps I'm not a Model expert but I like this a lot.

1937FordSedan003.jpg

1937FordSedan004.jpg

1937FordSedan005.jpg

1937FordSedan006.jpg

Boy I can't wait to clear the bench and start on this one.

They are all pretty nice kits. I am glad to see they put the newer wheels in it. The only problem I have with it is that I like to build mine w/o bumpers. Doing so with this kit shows the inaccurate center panel on the rear. You can easily fix it by cutting from the body & gluing it onto the fenders. Really minor though.

Mike

I remember when this kit first came out back in 1987. It was an immediate hit. It builds up nicely and has that "not from the 60s" street rod look to it.

My only gripe, and its not really a gripe but an observation, is that the roof is chopped. Its a small chop, yes, maybe 2"-3" tops, but its not stock height. So much for my aspirations to do a stock '37. That aside, its a great kit, and the newer wheels are a nice addition.

I don't remember if it's this kit or the coupe, but I seem to remember one version of this '37 having mismatched directional wheels on one side.I haven't built one in ages, but I do like this kit. About my only real gripe is that Chevy engine. Groan...

Chuck, I think it was the droptop with the trailer that has the funky wheels. As for the Chevy engine being a "gripe", yeah I know smallblock Fords are the in thing but remember, this kit is vintage 1987 and for then, the 350 in the kit was state of the art...!

Yeah... Sooooo glad the days of the SBC being the only choice are over! If I recall, the flattie from the '36 kit drops into this one without much effort. I think that's the route I'll go with mine. I'm thinking late '60's style custom rod, and just ignore the Mustang II IFS and Vette rear. (I admit to buying quite a few of these kits JUST for that MII frontend!)

That kit was one of the very first ones I built when I returned to modeling in the '80s. I had the version that was molded in orange. I painted the body Odds N Ends Tangerine and the fenders metallic brown ... it was pretty sharp!

I've bought at least one copy of every subsequent kit Revell has released from this tool. The latest updates to the coupe version, including a new TPI intake setup, are really sweet.

Since everyone else is airing their minor gripes with the kit, here's mine: I wish the fenders and floorboard had been molded separately. Would've made painting a lot easier.

The orange one in the old gray Monogram box art is actually the one I'm working with right now. The coupe version's TPI setup was VERY nice indeed, and the billet wheels were pretty nice, even though I'm not really a fan of billet wheels on fat fender cars.

Don:

Thanks for reviewing this kit. I always wondered what was inside and this tells me the kit is worth it....... the price point (compared too other things on the market) pretty much seals the deal. The subject is pretty interesting. I suspect I would do a very mild flat motor powered 50's hot rod with this......will be interested to see where you take yours....please keep us informed on what you do here!!!

Regards Bill (Duntov)

• 2 months later...

I built the origional version of this kit back I guess about 1989 mabye . I modified mine as I had a A M T 1936 Ford three window laying around too. I decided to combine the two and bamm, one 1937 Ford that wound up in the Amoco Projek diorama :

prestonAvesideview.jpg

I have to say the kit for what it consisted of went together well. I just wish stock pieces were part of the plan .... Ed Shaver

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I am currently working on this kit. The only problem I have had is getting the front wheels on the spindles.

I am not a fan of that at all. I would prefer the front to be a little more like the rear. It would make it easier to

mount the wheels than the spindles. I got mine on there but it wasnt easy.

I was so excited in '87 when it was first released I bought four. I had a 1:1 '37 Coupe at the time. I sent off for my first resin coupe body for $35, at the time seemed like crazy money. I never liked the wheels and always wished it came with a flathead and other stock parts. I think the top has a scale 2" chop. Also I prefer 1/25 scale but, it is what it is. I just purchased two more recently so, I guess you could say I am a fan of the kit. It really builds into a neat vintage short track car also.

Edited by rmvw guy

Something I've thought about- did anyone ever make a resin Fordor body for this kit?

I want to say I saw one in SAE or CM years ago, but can't say for sure. Frontier or Mad Dog Models, maybe?

I have built this one as well and have the coupe and roadster in my stash. By the way, if you wanted to go more traditional, I'm told the chassis and running gear from the Revellogram '40 pick-up can be modified to fit this body. They are both 1/24. It's what I'm planning on using for my roadster.