Model Cars Magazine Forum

Thomasville in 1/32 scale

GTMust

Over the past few months I've been building some of the individual buildings to populate my Thomasville diarama.

The background story......

Thomasville is an imaginary town, somewhere in the midwest, named after it's founder Thomas Ratcliffe, an 16 year old English immigrant who landed on North American shores at the beginning of the nineteenth century. As he grew and learned the ways of the New World and it's native inhabitants, his bravery and spirit helped him to grow into a succesfull backwoodsman and later, a well respected businessman. He opened his first trading post in the late 1870's, later to become the town's general store. Elected Mayor, the town grew under his guidance and he soon added additional buidings and businesses, including a hardware store, a Wells Fargo office, a jail and sherrif's office, a bank and an hotel.

The town prospered long after his death, until the depression years..... and than sat, mostly abandoned until some time in the 1970's when the whole town was purchased and restored to it's original condition as a tourist attraction. Today you can see both antique and modern vehicles on it's preserved dirt Main street, as it has become a center for car shows and history buffs of all kinds.

Now it's time to put the town together as my imagination sees it. This won't be an overnight project... I expect to be working on it over many years, hopefully improving and adding to it as time goes by. But for now, here are a couple of preliminary pictures with the buildings placed in their respective positions.

end+of+street.jpg

mid+town+2.jpg

street+view+2.jpg

Comments and suggestions welcome......

• 1 month later...

Thomasville is starting to take shape. I've built a complete new one piece base from 1/2" styrofoam and re-arranged the building layout. I've also added a few period vehicles to bring it some life.

thomas2.jpg

thomas1.jpg

Still a lot more to do.......

Tony

• 2 weeks later...