Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stacey David's Rat Roaster by : REVELL

Greg Myers

Bill, the more we all talk about this kit in terms of what we can do with the parts, the more possibilities there will be for building some cool models.

I'm not kidding you when I tell you that just the wheels alone in this kit are going to spruce up thousands of models we will see in the coming years on this forum and on the show tables.

Bill, the more we all talk about this kit in terms of what we can do with the parts, the more possibilities there will be for building some cool models.

I'm not kidding you when I tell you that just the wheels alone in this kit are going to spruce up thousands of models we will see in the coming years on this forum and on the show tables.

Exactamundo.

There is a lot to be excited by in this kit.

It's the first Revell deuce with an unfilled grille shell and grill with a starter crank hole.

First with a stock firewall.

The wheels and tires (BTW, Coker offers those same cheater slicks with wide whitewalls. Just sayin...)

The Buick portholes - love 'em or hate 'em on the real car, a lot of guys (and gals?) are going to be grafting them onto all sorts of things.

The modern Tremec transmission.

Chopped windsheild

A blown SBC that will fit under a hood. (ok, so it's not a 4-71, but it's a start)

The headers - I think they'd look even better on a T

Nice new exhaust with well molded glass packs (not those formless worms from the older deuces)

Is it the McMullen deuce? No - but neither is the real car. Like I said before, my only real disappointment is the lack of an I-beam axle up front.

Saw them at my local Hobbytown, $24.95. I'll wait for Hobby Lobby and use my coupon and save $11. I was looking at the kit, I have so many Deuce kits now the only parts I want are the wheels/tires and the fenders.

I like the kit, but I have more kits than I'll build in my lifetime. So I tend to procrastinate and try to be selective when buying a new kit. Then this little voice in the back of my head sucks me in and I buy it anyway. :lol::D

I like the kit, but I have more kits than I'll build in my lifetime. So I tend to procrastinate and try to be selective when buying a new kit. Then this little voice in the back of my head sucks me in and I buy it anyway. :lol::D

Ditto. I will probably get sucked in by the wheel and tires , and of course the guitar.

I do think it was something of a mistake to not offer a good dropped I-beam axle in this thing though, as I'd honestly buy a case of them if that bit was included, as would many other period builders. As it is, I'm not in a hurry to get one.

I think it was a mistake to not go 100% and make the model as true to the 1:1 as realistically possible. I understand why Revell may have made the decision to make this kit 90% accurate, but the incorrect front axle is a puzzling omission. I don't think this kit was ever intended to appease traditional scale rod builders, but rather be an accurate replica of the Rat Roaster, period.

....... I don't think this kit was ever intended to appease traditional scale rod builders, but rather be an accurate replica of the Rat Roaster, period.

I'm sure you're correct, but it's only good business to understand ALL of the market segments a model might appeal to, and ignoring the kit as a possible source of period-correct parts for traditional builders in-scale (a trend that is here to stay in 1:1, as the rat-rod thing has about run its course and guys are building NICE period cars...we have a shop full of them) misses the mark. As I said, I have zero interest in building a copy of Stacy David's car, but I'd buy a case of the things to get good styrene axles for not a whole lot more money than buying brittle resin aftermarket....and the rest of the stuff in the box would just sweeten the deal.

In the '60s Revell seemed to get the 'parts' thing a little clearer, as the PartsPacks were like having a large, reasonably priced stash of hot-rod bits to draw on. I have no idea if the concept would work today, but there does seem to be a growing numder of builders interested in getting functional and period details correct.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I'm sure you're correct, but it's only good business to understand ALL of the market segments a model might appeal to, and ignoring the kit as a possible source of period-correct parts for traditional builders in-scale (a trend that is here to stay in 1:1, as the rat-rod thing has about run its course and guys are building NICE period cars...we have a shop full of them) misses the mark. As I said, I have zero interest in building a copy of Stacy David's car, but I'd buy a case of the things to get good styrene axles for not a whole lot more money than buying brittle resin aftermarket....and the rest of the stuff in the box would just sweeten the deal.

I think what's needed is a traditional '32 Ford kit (bodystyle?) with a beam front axle, buggy sprung rear suspension, and maybe some narrow Ford steelies, and the tires from the '37 Ford pickup kits? Do I dare suggest a SBC underhood? :lol:

In the '60s Revell seemed to get the 'parts' thing a little clearer, as the PartsPacks were like having a large, reasonably priced stash of hot-rod bits to draw on. I have no idea if the concept would work today, but there does seem to be a growing numder of builders interested in getting functional and period details correct.

From everything I've heard and read, the last Revell Parts Pack engines did not sell well. They are still abundant and cheap on eBay, and while I'm not really sure how Revell actually produces the parts packs vs. an entire kit, I tend to think it's just easier to run and market/sell an entire kit versus a few parts which have limited appeal to the general public.

Maybe once Revell finishes rolling in the profits from the Rat Roaster, a new traditional Deuce will be announced for 2014. ^_^

I think what's needed is a traditional '32 Ford kit (bodystyle?) with a beam front axle, buggy sprung rear suspension, and maybe some narrow Ford steelies, and the tires from the '37 Ford pickup kits? Do I dare suggest a SBC underhood? :lol:

From everything I've heard and read, the last Revell Parts Pack engines did not sell well. They are still abundant and cheap on eBay, and while I'm not really sure how Revell actually produces the parts packs vs. an entire kit, I tend to think it's just easier to run and market/sell an entire kit versus a few parts which have limited appeal to the general public.

Maybe once Revell finishes rolling in the profits from the Rat Roaster, a new traditional Deuce will be announced for 2014. ^_^

Revell has produced several very nice versions of the '48 Ford, with substantial tooling changes to make each model (woody, coupe, latest version with fadeaways). Revell currently has very fine tooling for every mainstream bodystyle of '32s. It wouldn't take any more additional tooing to make a traditional-chassis '32 than it took to produce the last-issue '48 Ford.

And while the most recent run of engine PartsPacks are still plentiful and cheap, the dragster and roadster chassis kits, the Hemi engine, the Buick nailhead engine, the roadster and dragster accessory kits and bodies, the taillights and bubbletops...all are now rare and selling for stupid money.

PS. I volunteer to create digital files of the necessary parts to produce a traditional-chassis '32 that will fit Revell's existing bodies. 100% correct dimensions, guaranteed, taken from real parts currently in the shop. Cheap, relative to what it would probably cost to do it in-house. Anyone have an inside pipeline to Revell's product development guys? References available on request.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

PS. I volunteer to create digital files of the necessary parts to produce a traditional-chassis '32 that will fit Revell's existing bodies. 100% correct dimensions, guaranteed, taken from real parts currently in the shop. Cheap, relative to what it would probably cost to do it in-house. Anyone have an inside pipeline to Revell's product development guys? References available on request.

...and while I'm at it, I'll have 3D (in as fine a resolution as I can get) parts printed to serve as 'test shots' to verify that everything will in fact fit as designed. What a deal.

All that would be required at that point is to CNC 'cut the tool'. I know American companies that would happily do that too, probably on a competitive cost basis with the Chinese. Gauntlet dropped.

I just picked up a Rat Roaster a few hours ago. As indicated in Dr. Cranky's unboxing, some of the parts are surprisingly flashy for a new tool kit. I feel like the side trim on the body is a bit poorly defined, making it hard to tell where to apply bare-metal foil. That being said, i still think it looks like a nice kit, and I am looking forward to getting started on it.

I feel like the side trim on the body is a bit poorly defined, making it hard to tell where to apply bare-metal foil.

Isn't the side trim represented by decals on the decal sheet? I'm thinking that due to the "barb" spur section of the Rat Roaster's trim, Revell decided to not make that a permanent, prominent feature on the body, and instead provided the decals for those who want to to build an accurate replica.

Did anyone else notice the hood, fenders, rad shell, radiator/electric fan, firewall and rear wheel houses are on a separate sprue? Hmmm, that sure makes it easy to leave those out of the next, modified reissue of this kit... ^_^

B5EC8870-DF67-4328-91A4-B4B950184626-741

I bought the kit too today... and it's a great little kit... as a former IPMS vice president and also one of the original owners and founders of SLIXX decals and have had the honor with working with all these companies at one time or another. You can't ever please the "rivet counters"whether it's a kit of a decal.(reason why I left IPMS) .Guys we are lucky were getting new tooling of any kind. To quote my old friend the late Bud "the Kat" Anderson from AMT "it's a nitch industry"period. Observations and feedback for the manufactures are great, but no model is ever going to be perfect. This hobby depends on sales and tooling is so so expensive they really did a good job on this car great great parts and a little flast big deal.. anyone remember MPC kits LOL.This was just my MHO..

Edited by kitswapper

Will there come a day I no longer have to repeat this stuff so frequently? One can dream...

If a manufacturer doesn't generate new product, we're gonna run out of reasons to make new purchases. New tooling is not something we're lucky to get, it's what a manufacturer had better generate if it wants to stay in business. And while they'll never produce the perfect kit (that once again, nobody is asking for in the first place), it'd be helpful if they got the more obvious stuff down.
The tooling for this kit is 100% virgin steel, nothing in common with the '96 deuces except basic master patterns for the body and running gear. While they were going to the trouble to cut an entirely new tool, Revell could have made this more accurate to the subject AND enhanced its desirability to the trad crowd simply by making a front beam axle. If they're pinching pennies on new master patterns, surely the BIg Deuce's axle could have been used as a rough master?
We'll just set aside the rear axle that has airbags even though it is a new, wider piece, the rear suspension arms and frame reinforcement that don't quite match, and the lack of external door hinges - you don't really see the former and you can scratch up that last in about 90 seconds with scrap plastic. Heck, you've even got a decent start at the hood sides in the previous high boy kit.
The beam axle is the chief gripe, and you don't need a caliper to see it. It's a prominent inaccuracy for the Roaster and a desirable piece denied to many who would have gladly bought this kit for it. To dare to discuss this omission is not to harp on minutiae, it's not counting rivets, it's not the same as calling every mainstream offering "so horrible" or any other slope that grinds to a quick halt no matter how much anyone pretends it's slippery.
Y'know, despite all the criticism to date, manufacturers keep doing obvious things like this to invite more criticism. That fact alone should make it remedially clear that kit criticism has nowhere near as much effect on a company's bottom line as say, swings in the economy, the fickleness of big-box retailers, and the occasional DOA subject choice.

Isn't the side trim represented by decals on the decal sheet? I'm thinking that due to the "barb" spur section of the Rat Roaster's trim, Revell decided to not make that a permanent, prominent feature on the body, and instead provided the decals for those who want to to build an accurate replica.

There are decals for the side trim, but there is no way they will accurately replicate chrome. At best, they might look like silver paint.

Edited by Danny Lectro

Will there come a day I no longer have to repeat this stuff so frequently? One can dream...

If a manufacturer doesn't generate new product, we're gonna run out of reasons to make new purchases. New tooling is not something we're lucky to get, it's what a manufacturer had better generate if it wants to stay in business. And while they'll never produce the perfect kit ... it'd be helpful if they got the more obvious stuff down.
The tooling for this kit is 100% virgin steel, nothing in common with the '96 deuces except basic master patterns for the body and running gear. While they were going to the trouble to cut an entirely new tool, Revell could have made this more accurate to the subject AND enhanced its desirability to the trad crowd simply by making a front beam axle. ...
The beam axle is the chief gripe, and you don't need a caliper to see it. It's a prominent inaccuracy for the Roaster and a desirable piece denied to many who would have gladly bought this kit for it. To dare to discuss this omission is not to harp on minutiae, it's not counting rivets, it's not the same as calling every mainstream offering "so horrible" ...

Well put.

We're not rivet counting here. Revell's failure to refresh this series with a Mk. II variant was hinted at with the wide front tires and whitewall decals on the 5-window, and confirmed with the "chrome" decals and lack of a replica front axle on this one. On another site I've begun a thread assessing the compatibility of this kit with the other variants still in production (the Tudor, 3-wndow and 5-window) as well as its compatibility to other kits. I can tell you right off that they've modified the body at the rear pan area so that it's a copy of the Rat Roaster, and that the wheels are incompatible with most kit and aftermarket tires except those that use the same hollow tire and raised ridge system.

Kits like the '48 Ford and the recent Oldsmobile were well received for their genuine effort to introduce a more traditional flavor to the product line. Even the chop on the '48 drew relatively muted criticism. Time will tell if Revell still needs to "get it right" with respect to a proper "Traditional" variant, but I suspect the Rat Roaster will be hobbled by it's questionable aesthetics and even more questionable execution, The Traditional movement has been going strong for two decades now and has spawned shorter term sub trends such as rat rods. The market is hungry for a proper execution of this trend. The Deuce roadster was the perfect opportunity to do it. They tried to address it with the 5-window, tackled it well with the '48 Ford and the Olds, but seem to have missed a few steps with this one, IMHO.

Edited by Bernard Kron

I really think this kit will sell well... What I fear, though, is that Revell will think that it's selling well because of the awesomely executed 1:1 car that people try to copy... when, in my opinion, it will only sell due to modelers stocking up on those new firewalls and those rims/tires, possibly engine too. I really hope the next deuce they put out will have the correct front axle and be better molded with no flash.

It'd be sad if they thought that cars from TV sell well so they make more kits that resemble TV cars instead of focusing on nicely done parts and traditional style hot rods.