Model Cars Magazine Forum

Surprised...

Moebius kits have excellent value, Good detail, well defined castings. For the price, they're difficult to beat. I have 2 Prostars, 2 Lonestars,1 Great Dane,1 daycab for a Lonestar.and 2 phot etch kits for them, too. Honing my skills before building one of these jewels though. It really is too bad the Pro is a slow seller, that's one of the better looking modern trucks out there. Not enough chrome on them I guess. But then again, when you have a product that doesn't move as quckly as others, you find out why and try correcting with something else. In my day, you had all kinds of car and truck models at almost every store similar to Walmart. AMT, MPC(annuals, remember those?) and Revell had it real good in those days! But try that today, if you're lucky, you might find a Revell Camaro or Corvette, some Testors glue and not much else. I know kids aren't into this as much as we were, but then again,we didn't have as many video games as they do today. But I wish I could buy a kit up front once in a while, instead of ordering everything over the internet. Anyway, I hope they don't give up on big rigs! Mack Titan, anyone?

Well the Mack Titan meets the chrome criteria. I believe it would sell well in Australia for sure. I'd buy 3 straight up. I only plan to get one prostar. I've already done 2 lonestars, one box stock the other converted to an aussie kw t904. I hope it's a mack Titan or granite in the pipeline.

Ben

I guess I'm just an odd ball truck modeler....I've only purchased 1 Lonestar, but only because money's been kinda tight....But, I absolutely LUV the Prostar....That's one of the most common rigs out there for fleets and they look good.....I can get reference photos just like "that"....All I have to do is go to the local Walmart parking lot....As more money comes available, I plan on purchasing at least 4 of those and at least 2 more Lonestars....Please, please, please don't give up on us Mobieus.....PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by kilrathy10

Not surprised. I would expect the Lonestar to sell more than the Prostar. There are few true truck model builders, at least in the US. In my estimation, the Lonestar sold more because in many car model builder's minds it is looks like a 1930's whatever car that can be modified into some weird hot rod or used as a back drop to some race car hauler. Basically used with some type of race car.

The Prostar is not a chromed-up tractor, like your typical Pete or KW. When you see them on the roads, they are generally fleet prime movers. Not very glamors.

I hope Moebius continues to offer new big rig truck subjects in the future, but...

I honestly have to say Chucky, you hit the nail straight on the head. Even though I have been in way over my fair share of those not so glamorous fleet prime movers, I prefer the Lonestar over the Prostar just because I like the flashier owner operator rig. That is even the case at my current job, the very small fleet I currently drive for has a mix of Freightliner Columbias, International Prostars, and International 9900i's, and a few 9400s. I'm happy they put me in a 9900i rather than the Prostar, even though my truck has 687,977 miles as of tonight in Ocala, FL and is an 06 model, not to mention a small casket midroof sleeper. Sure, the Prostar would probably turn much tighter, be more roomy, and they do look nice, the company has them all painted white with blue fenders, they don't fit my personal preference.

Now will that stop me from buying the Prostar kit, no. I may even buy two, one to go with my Lonestar and one to do as a company truck and give to the company to display in the office. Of course, I have also thought of buying and building a Lonestar for them too, and telling them that my next truck can be just like the model!! :lol::huh:

• 4 weeks later...

I'm surprised as well. There's not many in progress on here yet. I better get one as well. I've already bought and built 2 lonestars. One out of the box and the second as a t904 kenworth with an auslowe conversion kit.

Hi Guys,

While at the IPMS Orlando show this weekend, I had a chance to speak with one of the Mobeius reps. He said surprisingly that the Prostar was a very slow selling product! He added that the Lonestar was a good mover for them, which surprised him, as you see very few on the road. I thanked him for all their hard work aimed towards us truck and automotive builders. He did add that they have many products ready for production, but must wait for the manufacturing facilities overseas to actually produce and ship the finished kits. Picked up my first Prostar and am waiting for "Cargostar" Dave to release his Prostar day cab!

Any hints given for future truck releases from moebius?

I'll give you a hint, made by Kenworth, and very Australian, but not one, two different trucks, one starts with a T and the other a K :D

Really!? That's awesome, even though I was hoping for a Mack. I hope this comes to fruition. Cheers

Ben

Ohhh an Australian K200 or a (T908 for that matter) would be super nice to get! And a nice change from the usual too. I'd like to make an "Americanized" version of that K200!

Yeah, would have to agree with Moebius. When I got the Prostars in at the shop, I sold a few initially, but my Lonestars are probably selling 3 or 4 to one vs the Prostar.

I think maybe that it was because the Lonestars weren't available for a long time, and wasn't until they were shooting the Prostars that they also shot more Lonestars, and now with both available, the Lonestar is still outselling it.

May be less of them on the road, but the Lonestar is the better looking truck.

You know, Guys....I'm also thinking price is something to think about, too.....With the both of them selling for the same price most everywhere I look, it just seems like you get more bang for the buck with the Lonestar.....I really, really like the Prostar, and am quite happy it's out (VERY HAPPY), but if you look at them side by side, you're probably gonna pick the Lonestar.......If it was, like, $10 cheaper, then that would all change, I'm sure.....And you're right, Scott....That kind of competition from your own works will be tough to beat....

Wouldn't mind seeing something new from KW, too.....Although, I was hoping for a T660 or T700, but a K200 would be just flat out AWESOME!!!

Edited by kilrathy10

I wonder what percentage of scale auto model builders are actually interested in scale big rigs and other types of heavy trucks/equipment. And of those interested how many aren't scared off by the price tag on those kits. And of those left ........ how many have the room to store a number of built rigs (this is what keeps me doing solely passenger cars).

I think because of these factors all but the most popular truck kits would be slow sellers compared to the Chrysler 300 they did recently.

Am I completely off base here?

Edited by Jantrix

There is a truck museum I intend to give my built trucks to. That's my solution. If I build a model I usually give it away when it's finished. So far on my list of stuff I've built and given away, tamiya mx5 to my father in law, modified first gear b61 mack to my grandfather, moebius/auslowe T904 conversion for my brother to give to his father in law, tamiya Nissan 370z to my friend to give to his brother in law. I like the construction process above all else.

Ben

I think it has to do with being released in the slow model building summer time . Second its kind of Mobius own fault ,they should not of released it the same time as the second run of lonestars came along.I haven't bought one yet.Plan on getting 2.Ive put my Christmas hints in ,but if not Ill be shopping

it's funny in a way, because we all seem to have room to store our hoard of kits, yet actual display space seems to be an issue at times, kinda weird when ya think about it...

when storage is an issue built cars can go back in the box they came from, cant do that with a truck

I wonder what percentage of scale auto model builders are actually interested in scale big rigs and other types of heavy trucks/equipment. And of those interested how many aren't scared off by the price tag on those kits. And of those left ........ how many have the room to store a number of built rigs (this is what keeps me doing solely passenger cars).

I think because of these factors all but the most popular truck kits would be slow sellers compared to the Chrysler 300 they did recently.

Am I completely off base here?

very small.Go to the general section and read the car guys going ape about some truck guys wanting new truck or equipment kits

• 1 month later...

Storage space can be a real problem, both for new, unbuilt stuff and actually finished models. It would be wonderful if I had enough wall space to display 1/18 scale diecasts. The quality and detail is so much higher the bigger you go, but they do take up a lot more space. Therefore, I choose to display 1/64 diecasts, giving up detail for diversity.

Same goes for model trucks. While I do like variety, I just don't have the room. I display most of my trucks without trailers, because the trailers, especially the long ones, just eat up too much shelf space.