Model Cars Magazine Forum

I feel completely, hopelessley inadequate now.

Harry, virtually all American aircraft manufacturer's engineering drawings since the very early 1930's exist someplace. For example,Boeing Aerospace (who also bought out North American [builder of the P-51 Mustang] and Vought-Sikorsky [Vought produced the F4U Corsair series]) maintains a very complete historical archive of their aircraft drawings, as well as drawings from the companies they absorbed, and they are available for a price. The same is true of Lockheed and Northrop-Grumman. Many of these drawings have been published in aircraft enthusiast magazines over the years as well.

Art

Absolutely correct, but factory data and drawings are not readily available to hobbiests or anyone outside the professional aviation repair industry. Even those of us withinn the industry sometimes have to walk over hot coals to get exactly what we need; that's why I mentioned other, open-market sources for historical aircraft data. You can even buy the stuff on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/P-51-Blueprints-Mustang-Plans-Aircraft-Manuals-USAF-North-American-P51-/130761410626?pt=AU_Transportation_Collectables&hash=item1e71fcc842

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Absolutely correct, but factory data and drawings are not readily available to hobbiests or anyone outside the professional aviation repair industry. Even those of us withinn the industry sometimes have to walk over hot coals to get exactly what we need; that's why I mentioned other, open-market sources for historical aircraft data. You can even buy the stuff on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/P-51-Blueprints-Mustang-Plans-Aircraft-Manuals-USAF-North-American-P51-/130761410626?pt=AU_Transportation_Collectables&hash=item1e71fcc842

Whoah! That's pretty cool!

If I have the money, I know what Dad's getting for his birthday.

Sometimes, he finds stick-and-tissue not quite challenging enough.... :blink:

Charlie Larkin